Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2014 12:08:40 PM EDT
This weekend is the beginning of the Covered Bridge Festival. It is the second and third weekend in October. It is a madhouse for tourists, yard sales, local crafts, food, and of course, touring the Covered Bridge Capitol. When I was a young boy, we set up a stand at the West Union bridge. I bought my first rifle with money I earned from those two weekends in 1968. A Colt "Colteer" 22 SA. Paid $19.95 for it, and 50 rds of ammo was .29 cents. I learned to swim in Sugar Creek under that bridge. You could still drive across it that time. It is such a cool old bridge and I have many fond memories of both that bridge and Jackson bridge a bit further upstream. Yes, the festival has become quite commercialized over the last decade, but there are still a lot of "old school" families that cook good food and prepare interesting crafts. The absolute best fried frog legs are 6 for 5$ in Mansfield and there is not a better dessert this time of year than some fresh Persimmon Pudding. (not a pudding, but a bread) And I have even found paw paws from time to time at some of the stands.

Anyone here going?

My 1968 Colt Colteer Stagecoach 22LR:

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:20:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Been around it my entire life and I despise it coming every single year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top