Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2014 11:31:20 AM EDT
I just recently had a pond dug and I'm trying to get some fish started in it, but an alligator snapper has moved in and is eating my fish!  They are protected in Indiana.... does anyone have any recommendations?  Is there someone at the DNR that will trap and relocated them or anything?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#1]
OK  After some research I've found that it is NOT an alligator snapper, just a regular snapper so I can do what I want....  Anyone have any good trapping methods or just shoot it?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a really big hook put some fish on it and try to catch him like a fish, then eat him.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:22:07 PM EDT
[#4]
my buddies catch turtle with baby bluegill as bait or large bluegill cut in half
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK  After some research I've found that it is NOT an alligator snapper, just a regular snapper so I can do what I want....  Anyone have any good trapping methods or just shoot it?

Choot it.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc156/556308/Troy__Landry.jpg

I know pretty much where he lives... I was thinking some CCI rat shot out of a 45 when he pokes his big head up will do the trick.  Thanks for the input guys, I've not messed with turtles before.... It's all new to me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you tried "noodling?"  Works for those catfish guys.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:45:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Let him snap on to the business end of channel lock pliers. Clamp down when he does then stretch his neck out of his shell so you can chop his head off.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I know pretty much where he lives... I was thinking some CCI rat shot out of a 45 when he pokes his big head up will do the trick.  Thanks for the input guys, I've not messed with turtles before.... It's all new to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Choot it.

rat shot will not do shit!
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Choot it.

+1 If your plan is to irritate and possibly blind him, sure, go ahead and choose rat-shot... otherwise get some real ammo. I vote try to capture him and eat him...
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#10]
ok thanks for the advice guys.... I have that heavy cci stuff with the bigger shot that actually cycles an auto, not the blue capsul crap.  I thought it would work, I guess I shouldn't try it... I don't want to injure him.  He will get eaten no matter if I shoot him or catch him.  I plan on taking care of him this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
ok thanks for the advice guys.... I have that heavy cci stuff with the bigger shot that actually cycles an auto, not the blue capsul crap.  I thought it would work, I guess I shouldn't try it... I don't want to injure him.  He will get eaten no matter if I shoot him or catch him.  I plan on taking care of him this weekend.
View Quote

I could be mistaken, I'm not really a turtle guy, but I believe if you shoot him the fish will be eating him. Maybe somebody can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they sink when shot...
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Let the pink mist fly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top