Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2014 3:51:43 PM EDT
Is there any training facility that allows actual movement and training with firearms, besides some stand behind the line crap? I have yet to find one in Indiana. I wouldnt mind paying a yearly fee, and sitting and shooting gets really boring after a while. I plan on taking some handgun and carbine courses, and want to practice those skills.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:28:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is there any training facility that allows actual movement and training with firearms, besides some stand behind the line crap? I have yet to find one in Indiana. I wouldnt mind paying a yearly fee, and sitting and shooting gets really boring after a while. I plan on taking some handgun and carbine courses, and want to practice those skills.
View Quote

USPSA or IDPA is your answer.   With USPSA you will move/run; acquire targets on the move, reload, think on the move etc.  You are scored for accuracy as well.

Got a big "NO" match coming up at Atlanta Conservation Club this Sunday north of Noblesville.   224 round count minimum.

There are typically monthly matches and one is usually in your area (or within an hour).

Check out INGO (www.ingunowners.com)  shooting sports forum or indygunracers.com

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:36:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Training and practice are different things.  IDPA, USPSA, and 3-gun fall into the practice category.  Instead of learning new skills, you're practicing what you've learned.  You might learn something about your technique and equipment, but that's more of a personal discovery than formal training.

I think some people shy away from competition because they want to be more proficient before  they demonstrate their skills in a public, timed and scored environment.  Personally, I don't feel like I'm quite there yet, and require more time in the rifle and pistol bays, running drills.  That's a nice thing about ranges that have individual pistol bays or short range rifle sight-in bays.  You don't have to worry about other shooters on the firing line.

To the OP:  where are you located at?  Is it training you're interested in, or a place you can practice and run drills?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I'm not too much into competition shooting. I'm more along the lines of sheepdog/ responsible citizen use. Competitions would be nice sometimes a I am looking for a facility to train. The training I would like would be from well know people. If I getting training, I would just pay for the best tbh.  It's hard enough to find that in the midwest unless I travel to other states.

I'm in central Indy Marion county
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

That's the first step.  Once you find or receive training, you're going to need a range that allows you to run the drills and practice like you want.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Check into Hard Target Firearms Training.  Based in the Newburgh Area Southwest Indiana.  Very close to Evansville.  Good Guys and they offer levels of training from beginner to HSLD.  They will definitely have you moving, shooting from behind barriers, etc. in their defensive handgun and carbine classes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:35:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I'm not too much into competition shooting. I'm more along the lines of sheepdog/ responsible citizen use. Competitions would be nice sometimes a I am looking for a facility to train. The training I would like would be from well know people. If I getting training, I would just pay for the best tbh.  It's hard enough to find that in the midwest unless I travel to other states.

View Quote

Marion County Fish and Game has descent range.  There are 2 seperate bays where you can practice drawing from a holster and firing while moving.  The only thing is that it's limited to approved calibers only, which mostly consist of pistol, rimfire, and Indiana deer legal calibers.

I use a 22 AR that is set up similar to my main battle rifle to practice.  Let me know if you'd like more info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top