Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2014 6:48:33 PM EDT
My brother tried to buy a gun today and he got delayed. The FFL said to check back on the 4th or 5th? Does the .gov even process these on the holiday weekend?

He did put his SSN on the 4473. He does not  buy guns very often, but he has had this problem every time he tries to buy a gun. It has been several years (maybe ten) since he bought a

gun. Back then the delay would always get strung out. First it would be five days, then 10, then 10 more. When it was all said and done he would get his firearm but it always took about

a month before he got approved. Has this happened to any of you? Has the process been expedited any, or will he still have to wait about a month before he can get his firearm?

ETA: My brother and I have the same last name and this has never happened to me.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Well he got the proceed today! At least it wasn't a month wait.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#2]
once delayed, always delayed,

no nics is work days not calendar days, so if he was delayed on monday, he can pick it up on friday, BUT since the 4th is a holliday, he could pick it up on monday(the next business day)

now the brady law says that after 3 business days, the firearm can be transfered to the purchaser without a resolution from nics. BUT at the shops discretion, they can wait longer, gander mountain waits till they get notice from nics, i know one shop that waits 5 business days, the shop i work at transfers after 3 business days(the minimum)

as for the same name part, no differance, he's getting delayed because someone has his exact name(i assume) and is close to his birth date(ssn wont help that)

i work at a gunshop and always do my own nics check, and everytime, i get sent for further review, they always chuckled when they read back the info(name and nics number) i always said "thats me", but it turns out that there is a person with my exact same name who lives in my town, i asked one time if me getting a "upin" would help me, she said no, i'll always get "further review" but since i approve i never got a "upin", that might (MIGHT no promise) help your brother

for those who dont know, the steps are this
gunshop calls nics
nics asks for info, name birthday,height weight, birthstate, (all the info you fill out on the 4473)
nics reads back a series of numbers and letters and gives the response of, either "approved" or "further review", if you are approved at that point all is done and you can leave
if the first person replies "further review" you are sent to a second person who does a little more checking on you, and the second person will respond with a "procede" "delay" or "deny", if the responce is delayed, the person at nics will tell the gunshop employee that the brady bill does not prohibit the transfer of the firearm on such and such date, and you'll have to wait 3 working days to pick up the firearm
(fyi they dont tell us why you are denied or delayed)
if you are denied it's not the end of the world, there is an apeal process you can go through, and sometimes it works and sometimes it dosent
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#3]
someone in my county has the same name as me, he's on death row.
I get delayed
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I get the "further review" when the NICS is done over the phone.  Only time I don't get it is when I go to a shop that does the NICS check over the internet.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I get the "further review" when the NICS is done over the phone.  Only time I don't get it is when I go to a shop that does the NICS check over the internet.
View Quote

You cant purchase firearms from places such as Cabelas  because they use the online NICS check system? If so, that sucks.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:29:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You cant purchase firearms from places such as Cabelas  because they use the online NICS check system? If so, that sucks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The opposite.  I get immediate approval when performing an E-check.  Kinda odd how that goes through without a hitch, and it takes a second review when done over the phone.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:59:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The opposite.  I get immediate approval when performing an E-check.  Kinda odd how that goes through without a hitch, and it takes a second review when done over the phone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I misread your post. At least you dont get delayed when using the echeck system.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top