Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2017 4:07:14 PM EDT
Hi guys,

I have a student who is being told that he cannot own the bolt-action Ruger Precision Rifle in Maryland, because it has a folding stock.

Even though it is a BOLT ACTION rifle....

Is this accurate, or is he being yahooed by a heeba habba?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is a bolt action, it is not banned.

From the Maryland.gov website:
1) Is this weapon semi-automatic? If not, it is not banned and you do not need to continue.

2) If this is a rifle, is it centerfire? If not, then it is not banned and you do not need to continue.

3) Is this weapon considered to be a copy of a banned weapon? If so, then it is banned and may not be purchased, sold, or transferred.

4) If this is a semi-automatic centerfire rifle that can accept a detachable magazine, does it have any two of the following: a folding stock; a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or a flash suppressor; If so, then it is banned and may not be purchased, sold, or transferred.

5) If this is a rifle, does it have a fixed magazine that holds more than 10 rounds? If so, then it is banned and may not be purchased, sold, or transferred.

6) If this is a rifle, what is the overall length of the weapon? If the stock is fully extended and there are no removable additions to the barrel, is the weapon less than 29 inches? If so, then it is banned and may not be purchased, sold, or transferred.

7) If this is a semi-automatic shotgun, does the weapon have a revolving cylinder? If so, then it is banned and may not be purchased, sold, or transferred.

8) If this is a semi-automatic shotgun, does the weapon have a folding stock? If so, then it is banned and may not be purchased, sold, or transferred. ?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you, it's very much as I figured.

I am trying to find that info on maryland.gov.  I'm happy to dig but a link would be swell.

Found it, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Not to hijack this thread, but it seems the question has been answered, so here goes.

Reading those regulations, it doesn't say anything about building one. I wonder if that is a loophole one could use as long as its never sold or transferred.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:29:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not to hijack this thread, but it seems the question has been answered, so here goes.

Reading those regulations, it doesn't say anything about building one. I wonder if that is a loophole one could use as long as its never sold or transferred.
View Quote

building a banned weapon is illegal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top