Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2016 4:17:09 PM EDT
Does anyone know if an HOA can prohibit you from possessing firearms in your home in Maryland if you are on a property where you own the home but lease the land, say, in a retirement community?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd go the "Don't ask, Don't tell route"

IIRC there was an HOA in New Mexico or thereabouts that tried this and got their peepee slapped.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't care
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:58:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FYI OP you need to read Maryland. Code Annotated, Criminal Law § 4-209(a) of the Maryland code.  As it states "Maryland prohibits local governments from regulating the purchase, sale, taxation, transfer, manufacture, repair, ownership, possession and transportation of handguns, rifles, shotguns and ammunition".  

Refer to Amendment 2 of the US Constitution for the rules on possession in your own home.
View Quote

Forest is actually right.

However, what the law prohibits an HOA from doing is not the same thing as what an HOA might try to get away with in MD.

OP, could you please name the HOA you are worried about?  
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#6]
State has preemptive law, IIRC.

This is why Montgomery County couldn't outlaw mail-order purchase of ammo.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 9:14:10 AM EDT
[#7]
from my understanding, legally they cannot.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 2:58:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wait, I actually can buy online in MoCo?
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I can't wait to get out of this state.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 10:36:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you can, but don't count on the retailer to know or acknowledge that.  it's shitty but with all the laws they have to stay abreast of, it's easier to just not sell somewhere they're not sure about rather than deal with the ass-pain of an audit because they inadvertently sold somewhere they shouldn't have.  i don't like it any more than the next person (like with places that refuse to sell *ANY* handguns to MD even though it's not illegal as long as they're on the roster) but I understand WHY they opt to remain cautious.  Frankly I can't say I blame them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 12:51:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, you can buy on line and have the transfer completed by any MD FFL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top