Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2016 11:57:05 PM EDT
I am a DE resident and occasionally shoot at Elk Neck. I know banned AWs are ok and I have shot my ARs there quite a few times but I am wondering abou AKs?  It is my understanding that they are more heavily regulated than ARs.  Is this info accurate?  In all of my visits to Elk Neck I have never seen anyone with an AK.  I would like to bring my Yugo on a planned trip this week but don't want any trouble.  Any info is appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#1]
The ak platform is a little more restrictive then the at platform. You can buy a ar lower and build it as a heavy barrel ar15 chance the caliber or make it into a pistol. You can not do this with an ak. There are a few ak style that are ok. The veper in 308 hunter is one of them  I think the veper shotgun is also allowed.

That being said the ak is only banned from sale or transfer in the state. If you already owned it you can still have it and shoot it in the state. You live in DE. and own it legally, there is nothing saying you can not bring it in the state for shooting session then take it home. You can not leave it at a friend's house  then go home and come get it latter. Because you have transfer "ownership" of it even for temporary time.

The ak is a great rifle and fun to shoot but for some reason it never caught on in md, kind of like the SKS.  You don't see many of them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Perfect thanks for the info.  I've had this Yugo for a couple years and only shot it a couple of times as there are not a ton of ranges in DE that you can shoot 30 cal rifles.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#3]
simply stated,

traditional 16 inch AK's are no longer available for sale as they were banned

AK pistols and KRINK SBR's are totally good to go, and are available at many gunshops
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I ended up burning a couple hundred rounds through the AK at Elkneck with only a few dirty looks from the Fudds sighting in the hunting rifles.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 8:54:39 AM EDT
[#5]
When was the AK banned? With the 2013 gun laws or before?
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When was the AK banned? With the 2013 gun laws or before?
View Quote

Fairly sure 2013.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The ak platform is a little more restrictive then the at platform. You can buy a ar lower and build it as a heavy barrel ar15 chance the caliber or make it into a pistol. You can not do this with an ak. There are a few ak style that are ok. The veper in 308 hunter is one of them  I think the veper shotgun is also allowed.

That being said the ak is only banned from sale or transfer in the state. If you already owned it you can still have it and shoot it in the state. You live in DE. and own it legally, there is nothing saying you can not bring it in the state for shooting session then take it home. You can not leave it at a friend's house  then go home and come get it latter. Because you have transfer "ownership" of it even for temporary time.

The ak is a great rifle and fun to shoot but for some reason it never caught on in md, kind of like the SKS.  You don't see many of them.
View Quote

Hate to be that guy, but sale, transfer, and POSSESSION are banned in MD. There is a possesion ban exemption for a rifle owned prior to Oct 1st 2013. A Delaware resident in MD with a post oct 2013 rifle would technically be violating the possession ban. In the several arrests I know of, the possessor was arrested and charged, and had to prove they were possessing legally after the fact.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Good to know.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 8:57:23 AM EDT
[#9]
If the ar or ak was owned before Oct 12013  then one can still possess it. They are only banned from transfer of ownership you can still have them shoot them and even hunt with them as long as they whete owned before 10/1/13.

I have yet to see any law requiring the owner to have with them proof of ownership before Oct 2013. The burden of proof is on the state. So Unless the ak has a date stamped on it after 10/2013 and the person doesn't do anything illegal, there is no reason for anyone to question his ak. I have never been asked a single questions about any of my ar15 rifles including the one with my 37 mm launcher attached to it. I have not seen or heard of anyone being questioned or ordered to provide proof purchase.

If the op. Is that worried about it, pull out the paperwork and copy it showing it was owned before 10/2013 (if it was if not then leave it home) and bring it with him, or just have a good picture/ PDF of the paperwork on his phone.

He could try calling the firearm discussion of the md state police and double check everything. But md gun laws are so screwed up if you ask the same question to 4 different officers you would likely get 4 different answers.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hate to be that guy, but sale, transfer, and POSSESSION are banned in MD. There is a possesion ban exemption for a rifle owned prior to Oct 1st 2013. A Delaware resident in MD with a post oct 2013 rifle would technically be violating the possession ban. In the several arrests I know of, the possessor was arrested and charged, and had to prove they were possessing legally after the fact.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NON MD RESIDENTS ARE BANNED FROM POSSESSION AFAIK.

OP: I'm like you:  NOT a resident of MD.

I've been trying to clear this up for a while since the new law passed.

The new law seems to grandfather in a few types of guns, but only for MD residents.  If I read it right, you can't bring any sort of controlled long gun into MD no matter when you bought it.  Read the law again - the "exceptions" only apply to MD residents.  The rest of us in the other 49 states are not covered by the exceptions.

I hope I'm wrong on this point.  I haven't researched it as deeply as you MD guys.  But I also don't live in MD.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#11]
WOW....this sux.

We may have to move to MD and Im trying to avoid it. (wife may have a job in Towson)  Looking at DE as an alternate.
I maybe screwed with their AWB since I have AKs and SCARs.  most are post '13 anyway.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
WOW....this sux.

We may have to move to MD and Im trying to avoid it. (wife may have a job in Towson)  Looking at DE as an alternate.
I maybe screwed with their AWB since I have AKs and SCARs.  most are post '13 anyway.  
View Quote

Towson is commutable from PA.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
simply stated,

traditional 16 inch AK's are no longer available for sale as they were banned

AK pistols and KRINK SBR's are totally good to go, and are available at many gunshops
View Quote

Pretty sure all SBRs are good to go, provided they meet the 29" OAL minimum requirement.  They don't have to be "krink" type SBRs.  Lots of Dracos, M92s, and others.  I'm waiting for a stamp on a 12.5" AMD-esque build.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
WOW....this sux.

View Quote

SCAR's are cash and carry in MD. No trouble there.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#16]
The strange thing is that Sega and vepets are legeal in me.
In fact on the banned list they have molot veper hunter 20.5 in 308 as legeal and do not list a single other veper model as banned.

Not banned should = legeal  since they list other weapons by name and model as banned
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The strange thing is that Sega and vepets are legeal in me.
In fact on the banned list they have molot veper hunter 20.5 in 308 as legeal and do not list a single other veper model as banned.

Not banned should = legeal  since they list other weapons by name and model as banned
View Quote

sega?  legeal?  vepet?

Link Posted: 11/6/2016 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes.  They even list a veper rifle as not banned the model they list is the hunter 20.5 in 308.  And they do not list a single vepr as being banned.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yes.  They even list a veper rifle as not banned the model they list is the hunter 20.5 in 308.  And they do not list a single vepr as being banned.
View Quote

The point of my post sailed way over your head.  Saiga.  Legal.  VEPR.  Simple things like taking 5 seconds to spell properly lends credibility to your statements......even though they're wrong.

The ban doesn't apply to just those named firearms, but "copies" as well.  If parts are interchangeable, then it's a copy and banned.  So a .308 AK or a gas piston AR is different enough it would still be cash and carry.  But a PTR-91, which isn't banned, is considered a copy of the HK91, which is.  Just because it isn't on the list doesn't mean it's automatically L-E-G-A-L.  So please stop telling people anything that insinuates to the contrary.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#20]
First off; stop being a gramer police it showes how irragont you are. People now use phones and tablets more then computers and these devices have auto correct and change things with out the person notice.  So just move along about gramer.

Any lawyer worth two cents can fight and win the argument that because it isn't listed as banned that it doesn't mean it isn't banned.
They list a lot of stuff by maker and model saying it is banned and gives a reason why. If. That weapon is fine neutered banned then it should be listed like the rest.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
First off; stop being a gramer police it showes how irragont you are. People now use phones and tablets more then computers and these devices have auto correct and change things with out the person notice.  So just move along about gramer.

Any lawyer worth two cents can fight and win the argument that because it isn't listed as banned that it doesn't mean it isn't banned.
They list a lot of stuff by maker and model saying it is banned and gives a reason why. If. That weapon is fine neutered banned then it should be listed like the rest.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

1.  I know of ZERO auto-correct-enabled devices that change words from proper spelling to improper spelling, like "legeal", "showes", "gramer", and "irragont".  Lighten up, Frances.

2.  Any lawyer worth two cents will tell you that the LAW ITSELF SAYS COPYCAT.  Reference here

3) Is this weapon considered to be a copy of a banned weapon? If so, then it is banned and may not be purchased, sold, or transferred.

Stop fucking giving people bad advice.  If you don't know the law, don't pretend your own personal opinion IS the law.  Someone who doesn't know any better will follow your advice and end up in fucking prison.

But by all means, feel free to name a lawyer who is willing to argue a Saiga in 7.62x39 isn't banned because it's "not an ak-47 by name".  Go ahead.  I'll wait.

Link Posted: 11/6/2016 9:32:38 PM EDT
[#22]
If the vepr came under the copycat law then they would have listed them as banned. Not showing models as being not banned.
There are quite a few dealers that sell the Sega and vepr for sale in md.

Just so you know if something isn't listed as illegal to own then by default it is legeal.  Md is very happy listing what guns are illegal.
You are entitled to your opinion as I am. Md gun laws are confusing. But the bottom line is if something isn't listed as illegal then it isnt illegal.
Your cursing is uncalled for.
Just because you do not agree with the way a lot of dealers and I interpret the laws do not mean we are wrong.

This conversation with you has become pointless. you are unable to have a reasonable conversation. And have to resort to cursing and. pick on spelling when someone doesn't agree with your point.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#23]
This was taken right from  state police website and showes at least  one saiga isn't banned. "Manufacturer  Saiga
Description  
Saiga Shotgun
Status  Not BannedJustification  Not Regulated by StatueDate of Status  10/1/2013Notes
Not a semi-automatic rifle, not cosmetically similar to an enumerated shotgun & not a copycat weapon'
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 8:28:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This was taken right from  state police website and showes at least  one saiga isn't banned. "Manufacturer  Saiga
Description  
Saiga Shotgun
Status  Not BannedJustification  Not Regulated by StatueDate of Status  10/1/2013Notes
Not a semi-automatic rifle, not cosmetically similar to an enumerated shotgun & not a copycat weapon'
View Quote

Yes, that's a shotgun, not a rifle, not an "ak".

The VEPR in 308 is legal because it is not a copycat of an ak.

Go find a gun store that will sell a VEPR or saiga in x39 to a Maryland resident.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 10:23:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Description  
Saiga Shotgun
View Quote

Reading your posts gives me a headache.

Legally, you can consider the AK action as banned unless is is specifically stated by make and model as being legal.

Anything not clearly stated needs direct review by MSP. They usually issue a statement of clarification.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#26]
"Anything not clearly stated needs direct review by MSP. They usually issue a statement of clarification." Can you show me where this is written in the law?
Verp and psl rifles are sold by a lot of dealers in and around md.  the parts do bit interchange easily with an ak rifle they are not copy of the ak.
If md flat out banned any gun that resembles an ak then the vepr and psl would be listed also all the "ak style" shotguns would be listed and even the ak 47 pistols would be banned.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 9:05:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
"Anything not clearly stated needs direct review by MSP. They usually issue a statement of clarification." Can you show me where this is written in the law?
Verp and psl rifles are sold by a lot of dealers in and around md.  the parts do bit interchange easily with an ak rifle they are not copy of the ak.
If md flat out banned any gun that resembles an ak then the vepr and psl would be listed also all the "ak style" shotguns would be listed and even the ak 47 pistols would be banned.
View Quote

Law? MSP is like the ATF of MD. You got money to play the LONG court game?

The law is interpreted by the MSP. This is why I can't buy an ACR in MD, because the law was copied from the previous ban, "bushmaster semi-automatic rifle" which meant THE BUSHMASTER semi-auto rifle, and was interpreted by the MSP to mean, "All bushmaster brand semi-automatic rifles".

For example, a Montgomery County gunshop argued to the MSP that AK pistols were legal because they weren't defined as "assault pistols" and were not rifles. BAM! AK pistols are legal in MD.

Just STFU. You must be new to MD. I've been playing this game since 1994.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 9:42:33 PM EDT
[#28]
First off I have been buying and selling guns in md  since about 89. I do know the laws as best as a non layers can. You have only given your opinion on the laws. No one had shown any hard proof that if a rifle isn't on the list you have to ask  permission.
Many guns shops sell the vepr and psl because they may look like an ak  the parts do not easy interchange. Right from msp website "copy of which may be found on our website. To that end, the Maryland State Police has determined that, for enforcement purposes, a firearm is considered a copy if it is BOTH cosmetically similar to AND has completely interchangeable internal components necessary for the full operation and function of one of the enumerated banned weapons."
The psl and the vepr may look like an ak, the parts to make it fully operational are not the same. So they are not copycat and thus not banned.
So unless you can prove the msp website is wrong then YOU STFU!
Everything I say can be read on the msp website. If you choose not to believe it or to scared to believe what is on it then you need to start running around with a safety pin on you shirt.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#30]
All you have to do is peruse mdshooters forums to know VEPRs are being sold at a select few gun shops in MD. Plus a forum member recently posted a letter from the MSP showing the Arsenal SLR104-31 as potentially legal to purchase.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:23:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Here's example of what is NOT banned -copy and paste from Maryland State police website 1/13/17:

Arsenal SLR 104-31 (5.45x39)
Not Banned

Molot VEPR Hunter 308 x 21.5
Not Banned

Molot VEPR Hunter .30-06
Not Banned

Molot VEPR Hunter 7.62 X 54 Russian
Not Banned

ZASTAVA
ZASTAVA PAP M90NP (5.56x45)
Not Banned
(the Saiga 5.56x39 is unfortunately banned, along w/ most 7.62x39 cal rifle -except the VZ58/2008 )
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top