Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2016 5:14:24 PM EDT
Quick question for you folks there in MD behind enemy lines...

My old man is wanting to thin out his collection.  He has two handguns, both modern and in the state registry there in Maryland (under his name) and he wants me to have them.  I am a Montana resident.  

My understanding is that this is an interstate transfer, thus, in the eyes of the ATF, he can physically bring them to Montana when he comes to visit, we go to my local FFL, and complete a 4473 to transfer them to me.  Montana probably doesn't care one bit about it, but that seems to be the Fed's position.

The big question here - does he need to do anything to let Maryland know?  He has only ever known Maryland gun laws, and I"ve tried telling him that in the eyes of the Feds and the state of Montana, all we have to do is transfer them through a Montana FFL.  His big hangup though is that if they are stolen from me or turn up somewhere else somehow, that the tracing would lead from manufacturer, to distributor, to the FFL he bought the firearms from, then subsequently the Maryland State Police would come banging on his door wondering how the handguns wound up in Montana.

Thanks in advance for your guidance fellas.

Also, another question: I read in SB 281 that "banned" weapons owned prior to Oct 1, 2013 are "grandfathered" thus do not have to be registered.  Does this extend to handguns, or is that only the named "banned' weapons.  I'm really sorry you all have to deal with this stuff...
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#1]
No one? None of you guys have sold a handgun to an out of state person?
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I will take a stab at this since nobody has replied.

If they are being transferred through a ffl, you dont have to notify md of anything.  It would be the same as selling a handgun out of state.  I dont remember the last time i sold a handgun at a ffl, but i think he gets a copy of the form he can keep.  

As far as grandfathered banned firearms, i dont think it has anything to do with any handguns.  Just ar15s, and some other things that are banned in md.  

I tried to keep track since im in md daily, and most of my friends are still there, but i gave up.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 3:13:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the replies fellas. That clears it up!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top