Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2016 5:30:59 PM EDT
Hi, random question from a (Central) New Yorker.

I grew up in the middle of nowhere, I'm used to to nice sized backyards and nice shooting ranges being close. Unfortunately the jobs and people... Suck. Big time.

Anyway, I'm looking at jobs that are right up my ally in the Colombia and Fort Meade areas. Is it possible to work in these areas and still have a reasonable(lets say 30 mins or less) commute to a nice area?

I know the Columbia area in general looks pretty nice, safe and definitely pricey. But is enjoying it(backyard, outdoors, guns, etc) still possible?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:52:19 PM EDT
[#1]
General answer for the outdoors stuff,, poor.

I live in Montgomery county and have family in Howard. There's no open area to shoot within an hour unless it's private property, or an indoor range. Suburbia doesn't make good firing ranges.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:40:38 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're used to big back yards and close shooting ranges, you're not going to find those near the Meade area.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:21:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:02:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Like Forest said, Western Howard County or Carroll County are your best bets for larger yards and placed to shoot. I worked at Meade and commuted from W. HoCo for a number of years and that was about 40-50 minutes of commuting, one way. I should say it was almost entirely back roads to avoid traffic on Rt. 32 as much as possible. You could try on the other side of Ft. Meade in Anne Arundel county but home and property prices there are a little more expensive to due access/proximity to water.

Commuting is a way of life and something that is generally accepted as a necessary evil when working in the DMV.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:34:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Those same jobs are likely available in Texas, Colorado, and Georgia too.  And they're a lot more gun-friendly, cheaper to live there, and you don't have cunts on top of cunts everywhere you look.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:44:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm about to make the same move as well. I'll be working in the Fort Meade area as well, what are the conditions like for private/outdoor ranges in the Annapolis area?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm about to make the same move as well. I'll be working in the Fort Meade area as well, what are the conditions like for private/outdoor ranges in the Annapolis area?
View Quote

hahahahahaha.

Nonexistent.  People keep saying "oh but fort meade has a gun club you can shoot there!!"  Two major issues with that:

1.  They only get a couple ranges a couple times a month from NSA Police, and even then there's dozens of hoops to jump through to bring firearms (lawfully) on base.

2.  They refuse to answer any questions or provide any sort of POC info to actually become a member.  I've been trying for the better part of a fucking decade and they just keep passing me off to someone else who doesn't answer their phone or emails for 5-7 months at a time.

There's a really nice range on the Eastern Shore, about 1-1.5 hours from Annapolis, but you have to pay the Bridge Tax just to go.  Nice place though, and one of the RSOs is a good friend and damn good dude.

Bottom line: You're in the baltimore/DC metro area.  This entire section of the state is nothing but shitty townhouses, extremely overpriced cut-as-many-corners-as-possible single-family homes with half the codes ignored, and people. fucking. everywhere.

There are no outdoor ranges nearby.  Not decent ones at least.  You *WILL* be driving at least an hour one way to get to a decent one that doesn't charge several hundred dollars and require membership in three or more other organizations just to be considered for membership.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The Associated Gun Clubs of Maryland at Marriottsville has some of the nicest range facilities in the state, can handle large number of shooters, and is a relatively short drive from the Ft Meade area.
View Quote

You must have missed the part where i mentioned the BS requirement of having to join some OTHER club before getting the high honor bestowed of being allowed to pay a shitload MORE money just to use that range. Nice racket they have going though, just to shoot to 200 whole yards.

As for Meade, like I said I've been trying to join there for nearly a decade.  They weren't closed to new members that whole time.  They're just cunts is all.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You mean you have to JOIN a club to use a Private range!?  Who would have thought!  And yes there is a range badge fee, because some of those clubs have other facilities, so if they have members that don't want to use Marriottsville they don't have to pay for it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Associated Gun Clubs of Maryland at Marriottsville has some of the nicest range facilities in the state, can handle large number of shooters, and is a relatively short drive from the Ft Meade area.

You must have missed the part where i mentioned the BS requirement of having to join some OTHER club before getting the high honor bestowed of being allowed to pay a shitload MORE money just to use that range. Nice racket they have going though, just to shoot to 200 whole yards.

You mean you have to JOIN a club to use a Private range!?  Who would have thought!  And yes there is a range badge fee, because some of those clubs have other facilities, so if they have members that don't want to use Marriottsville they don't have to pay for it.

The problem is, everyone bills AGC as its own entity, its own club, its own range.  Whenever people say "go join AGC and shoot at that range" what they really should be saying is "find a club to join, then hopefully it's part of AGC, then pay AGC's dues on top of it to use the range!"  I never have understood the requirement of joining a club to be able to join a club.  Then again, there's a lot of fucked up shit in this state and everyone seems to love it so no problem.  I'll just go to TX where they don't think firearm bans and virtually no-issue CCW are 'reasonable'.

From your posts I'm beginning to see why they didn't return the calls.  I've shot there before, and I have a friend in competitive High Power that does so regularly.

because you of all people would know how the dozens of messages and emails i sent over the years were worded based on.....three posts?  spoken like a true intel analyst....get some of the information and god dammit i know all the answers!!!!  

(you should probably just run along back to your computer--take plenty of breaks though, don't want eye strain or carpal tunnel--VA doesn't give you a rating for those )

i'm going to unsub now. OP, you have my condolences on your impending loss of ability to enjoy shooting.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:41:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Can you two knock off the purse swinging for a minute?  This isn't helping the OP.

AGC is a pretty good range, the best you're going to find around here.  I think it's $160 for the year now with the price going up to $200 over the next few years.  They also allow you to draw from a holster now after paying an additional fee.  Steel targets are now ok once your targets are approved (you need to provide your own target), and I believe you pay a steel target fee as well.

http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/

The "first must join a club" isn't that big of a deal.  I found one that was $35 a year and no membership meeting required.

OP, if you're in the area, I'm happy to take you up to AGC as my guest and let you look the place over.  I'm sure there are many other folks here that will do the same.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Can you two knock off the purse swinging for a minute?  This isn't helping the OP.

AGC is a pretty good range, the best you're going to find around here.  I think it's $160 for the year now with the price going up to $200 over the next few years.  They also allow you to draw from a holster now after paying an additional fee.  Steel targets are now ok once your targets are approved (you need to provide your own target), and I believe you pay a steel target fee as well.

http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/

The "first must join a club" isn't that big of a deal.  I found one that was $35 a year and no membership meeting required.

OP, if you're in the area, I'm happy to take you up to AGC as my guest and let you look the place over.  I'm sure there are many other folks here that will do the same.
View Quote

rdblan2:

Which club did you find that doesn't have the meeting requirements? You can PM if you don't want to make it public. Also, is the longest range at AGC 200 yards? Marriotsville is pretty close right now and near my office and I'm debating joining there or Damascus IWL as it'll nearly be across the street from me when I move in a few months.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 2:16:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Yup, 200 yards.

I belong to Greenbelt, for I think 30 bucks a year.  No meeting required or anything like that.  They do a "meeting" twice a year that you don't have to attend at PG sporting clays where you shoot for free.  So that's basically your membership fee repaid to you if you go.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Longest range at AGC is 200y.

I can't speak for all the clubs, but I know several of the 'company' clubs don't have meeting requirement.

Do you work at Northrop-Grumman, APL, or Goddard by chance?
View Quote

Nope, out of the gov't/contractor game going on 4 years now.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

If you're used to big back yards and close shooting ranges, you're not going to find those near the Meade area.
View Quote

https://www.mrpc-online.org/

https://www.associatedgunclubs.org/

Plenty of large lots in the area 2+ acres.

From an add:

CENTRAL
LOCATION: 10 min. to Ft. Meade; 20 min. to Baltimore and Annapolis; 35
min. to DC. CATHY PURPLE CHERRY ARCHITECTS for consultation to modify or
expand! Lots of OPTIONS!

Facts

• Lot: 4.4 acres

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:25:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
hahahahahaha.

Nonexistent.  People keep saying "oh but fort meade has a gun club you can shoot there!!"  Two major issues with that:

1.  They only get a couple ranges a couple times a month from NSA Police, and even then there's dozens of hoops to jump through to bring firearms (lawfully) on base.  True about the range time, but no hoops to jump through, just show up at gate and drive through if you join an affiliated club.

2.  They refuse to answer any questions or provide any sort of POC info to actually become a member.  I've been trying for the better part of a fucking decade and they just keep passing me off to someone else who doesn't answer their phone or emails for 5-7 months at a time.

There's a really nice range on the Eastern Shore, about 1-1.5 hours from Annapolis, but you have to pay the Bridge Tax just to go.  Nice place though, and one of the RSOs is a good friend and damn good dude.

Bottom line: You're in the baltimore/DC metro area.  This entire section of the state is nothing but shitty townhouses, extremely overpriced cut-as-many-corners-as-possible single-family homes with half the codes ignored, and people. fucking. everywhere.  

There are no outdoor ranges nearby.  Not decent ones at least.  You *WILL* be driving at least an hour one way to get to a decent one that doesn't charge several hundred dollars and require membership in three or more other organizations just to be considered for membership.   AGC and MRPC cost less than $200 a year.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

hahahahahaha.

1.  They only get a couple ranges a couple times a month from NSA Police, and even then there's dozens of hoops to jump through to bring firearms (lawfully) on base.  True about the range time, but no hoops to jump through, just show up at gate and drive through if you join an affiliated club.

There are no outdoor ranges nearby.  Not decent ones at least.  You *WILL* be driving at least an hour one way to get to a decent one that doesn't charge several hundred dollars and require membership in three or more other organizations just to be considered for membership.   AGC and MRPC cost less than $200 a year.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Yup, 200 yards.

I belong to Greenbelt, for I think 30 bucks a year.  No meeting required or anything like that.  They do a "meeting" twice a year that you don't have to attend at PG sporting clays where you shoot for free.  So that's basically your membership fee repaid to you if you go.
View Quote
MPRC is a whopping $25 and you join online and never have to go to a meeting.  And you can shoot at Meade.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:38:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
http://www.aafg.org/

http://www.scfhclub.org/

Link Posted: 12/29/2016 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Marriotsville range is user UNFRIENDLY. I was a member there for a year and went 3 times.  Don't bother.  There's the Hap Baker range which is much better than Mariotsville.  Doesn't have skeet though.  For an indoor range, On Target is right in Ft Meade
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 11:01:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You might want to tell him what that 4.4 acre lot will cost.  

About half a million, with 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, and built in the 19th century.
View Quote

So?  That was in response to no large back yards or shooting ranges near meade?  There are, but MD is expensive.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

LOL you're kidding right?
View Quote
+1000

Last time I was there, it was me and my son on the entire range with an occasional second position shooter.  We were mag dumping semi, not a word said. 
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Stay away from Montgomery County, Baltimore County, PG County, and you will be fine. As long as you are in Anne Arundel or Howard County, you are good to go.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yea, and marriotsville you need to shoot through your own wooden target stands.  And that's 100 yds.  The 200 has some weird bullshit rules where you have to volunteer to sit behind the target now and then.  Then add the "volunteer" bullshit they ask of you.  As for the rest, I didn't say HB had skeet or archery. I've never seen anyone there with a mod in shooting 1 round per time.   At HP you can shoot at 200, 100, 50 and 25 all at the same sitting.  Can't do that at Marriotsville unless you take up more than one lane  I've been going to ranges for close to 30 years in several states and Marriotsville is at the bottom of my list.  You keep going to Marriotsville, and I'll stick with Hap Baker for rifle shooting

LOL you're kidding right?

Hap Baker - where you have to shoot through a box from the bench.  No offhand shooting, no prone, no sitting positions.  Limited positions to place targets.  Mosin Nagants limited to 1 round at a time.  No full-auto ever. Paper targets only, no steel or polymer reactive targets.

Want to test loads with your chronograph?  Good luck with that overhead over extending so far out (BTDT and couldn't get any readings).

No Trap range,

No shotgun patterning range.

No archery range.

Handgun limited to 17 yards.

No drawing from a holster.

Limited number of shooting positions.

No BBQ on event weekends

Hap Baker is a place you go if all you need to do is sight-in a deer rifle or try out a handgun.  It's a range conceived by and run by bureaucrats.  The AGC facilities are owned and run by shooters and is responsive to club members needs (which is why we have options for steel targets and drawing from the holster available).
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Howard County is a nice place to raise your kids as long as you teach them values at home and keep the liberals from corrupting their brains in the school system. It is said to be one of the best in the nation, and my kids are smart. The downside is that two of them are so liberal I can barely tolerate conversing with them now that they are adults.
Also, prepare to pay for what you get. Howard County is also one of the more expensive counties in the People's Republic of Maryland, in which to live.
I will say that the crime rate in Columbia/Ellicott City is relatively low, though not as low as it used to be before they began importing low income people from Baltimore City about 35 years ago to "diversify" the demographics.
You will never get a carry permit unless you can prove there is a contract on your life! Good luck with that.
Hunting is good, but finding land to hunt is a challenge if you don't know people in the area. This forum may help with that.
There are plenty of lakes, streams and rivers to fish.
AGC range is the best I have ever been to. You will want to join a club to use this range for sure!
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Hello there. As far as Md goes, the Ft Meade area is the best place to be. Ft Meade has outdoor shooting ranges, 2 rifle (300yd and 600yd) and 7 pistol/rifle ranges. You must belong to a club that has access to the range tho and must enter and leave as a group on designated range days. Not a bad deal considering membership is only $25 a year and the 600yd range is the longest in Md. either of these clubs use the ranges, I belong to both. Whoever said they've been trying for a decade must not be trying very hard lol. You do not have to be military or DOD to join.

Bill

http://meaderodandgun.org/home/forum

https://mrpc-online.org
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:03:14 PM EDT
[#33]
It looks like you have to be military or DOD to use those ranges when I checked their sites.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:03:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It looks like you have to be military or DOD to use those ranges when I checked their sites.
View Quote
Nope.  Just join a club that has access.

https://mrpc-online.org/
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nope.  Just join a club that has access.

https://mrpc-online.org/
View Quote
Correct. I'm neither and I shoot there all the time.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:36:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Berwyn Rod & Gun Club

A hidden gem. Private outdoor range, members get combo to gate lock.  Shooting until dusk. 100yd, 50yd, and 50ft ranges.  I tend to go on Sunday afternoons and usually have the place to myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top