Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2016 7:32:11 PM EDT
I'll be applying for a job that will have me traveling to different building projects throughout Maryland. Is there any chance that I'll be approved for a carrying concealed weapons permit?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems like you either have to prove you carry large sums of money, or you can show them the bullet holes from the psycho that is actively stalking you.  I dont think that random travel by itself will get you one.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 8:26:38 PM EDT
[#2]
That's kind what I got out of it too, but wondered how strictly it's enforced.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:31:17 PM EDT
[#3]
It's your life, plan accordingly
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 8:15:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

When I lived in MD, We did "buy gold" weekends at hotels all over MD.
Had 40-50k in cash on me, Never got approved.

Carried anyway....Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you get caught carrying a loaded handgun, either walking or driving around in Maryland you are going to lose the firearm and be spending some time in jail. Id look for a different job if you are worried about getting into trouble and need a firearm to protect your self here.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's kind of funny
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 12:25:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Carry a slinged AR.  Have a good attorney handy though.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's kind of funny
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's kind of funny

It was.... MD did fix it though. They made it so you had to have a storefront to buy gold.... Pawn brokers lobbied against us.
After that happened we only had shows in PA, DE, VA and WV.... our Utah and Florida permits were GTG.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Get murdered and you may be approved.  Maybe...

Link Posted: 3/15/2016 6:28:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Get connected in the MD Democratic party and you'll be all set.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe it will get easier.  This is an email I got from an anti-gun group:

URGENT: Hogan nominees for Handgun Board must be stopped!

Marylanders to Prevent Gun Violence <[email protected]>
       Today at 11:56 AM

To

Message body
Action Needed

We need your voice and we need it now!

During this session, Governor Hogan had the unprecedented opportunity to appoint all five members to the Handgun Permit Review Board. This board reviews appeals when someone is denied a concealed-carry permit by the Secretary of the Maryland State Police (MSP). The board has the authority to overturn the MSP’s ruling.

All five appointments are about to be voted on Tuesday in the State Senate. While all five appointments will make for an unbalanced board, the most egregious appointment up for a vote is Richard Jurgena. Jurgena is a gun right’s advocate who has continually voiced his belief that our concealed-carry permit laws are unconstitutional and that they should be loosened. How can we reasonably trust someone to enforce a law they view as unconstitutional? Marylander’s to Prevent Gun Violence is calling on the State Senate to reject his nomination.

TOMORROW, THE STATE SENATE WILL VOTE TO CONFIRM THE APPOINTEES! We need you to urgently send a message to your State Senator to demand that he or she REJECT THE MOST VOCAL GUN RIGHTS ACTIVIST, RICHARD JURGENA!

Maryland’s common-sense gun laws and concealed carry permit restrictions are intended to keep Marylanders safe. Loosening these restrictions by placing this gun rights advocate on the Review Board puts Maryland citizens and families at risk.

PLEASE TAKE TWO MINUTES TO TELL YOUR STATE SENATOR THAT HE OR SHE MUST REJECT THE APPOINTMENT OF RICHARD JURGENA!

The vote is tomorrow - there's no time to waste,

Jen Pauliukonis
Legislative Director

It would be a good idea to contact our state senators to let them know we're in FAVOR of these guys.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#13]
As an instructor I've seen more people than I ever expected come to take the Utah Class who already had a Md permit.  Have to admit it surprised the heck out of me.  The key seems to be having all your ducks in a row before you ever submit the application.  The first thing to do is take the mandated 16 hr course.  If you are former military with a 214 you're exempt.  Look over their application carefully and have a good reason to give them--carrying $3,000 cash and being able to provide bank deposits etc is a good one and is generally approved contrary to what some have said happened to them years ago.  Personal protection is not generally accepted UNLESS you can show that there are other circumstances (being a landlord collecting rent, doing business late at night in questionable areas etc.). State police are a lot better than they used to be but it's far from easy.  Figure three to four months.

FYI, while I can teach the Md mandated course I've decided to simply stick with Utah.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

To

Message body
Action Needed

During this session, Governor Hogan had the unprecedented opportunity to appoint all five members to the Handgun Permit Review Board. This board reviews appeals when someone is denied a concealed-carry permit by the Secretary of the Maryland State Police (MSP). The board has the authority to overturn the MSP’s ruling.

All five appointments are about to be voted on Tuesday in the State Senate. While all five appointments will make for an unbalanced board, the most egregious appointment up for a vote is Richard Jurgena. Jurgena is a gun right’s advocate who has continually voiced his belief that our concealed-carry permit laws are unconstitutional and that they should be loosened. How can we reasonably trust someone to enforce a law they view as unconstitutional? Marylander’s to Prevent Gun Violence is calling on the State Senate to reject his nomination.

TOMORROW, THE STATE SENATE WILL VOTE TO CONFIRM THE APPOINTEES! We need you to urgently send a message to your State Senator to demand that he or she REJECT THE MOST VOCAL GUN RIGHTS ACTIVIST, RICHARD JURGENA!

Maryland’s common-sense gun laws and concealed carry permit restrictions are intended to keep Marylanders safe. Loosening these restrictions by placing this gun rights advocate on the Review Board puts Maryland citizens and families at risk.

PLEASE TAKE TWO MINUTES TO TELL YOUR STATE SENATOR THAT HE OR SHE MUST REJECT THE APPOINTMENT OF RICHARD JURGENA!

Jen Pauliukonis
Legislative Director

It would be a good idea to contact our state senators to let them know we're in FAVOR of these guys.
View Quote

This is the perfect incentive for everyone to call & email to endorse this person.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#15]
It's not impossible. You've gotta want it.

LLC, Show bank deposits and withdrawals, fill out the paperwork.

Word on the street is: If you are or were in any intelligence field, you will get approved because the MSP can't protect you from terrorism stemming from the OPM breach. No idea if that's true though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 1:29:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

To

Message body
Action Needed

Jen Pauliukonis
Legislative Director

View Quote

He was rejected today.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:53:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As an instructor I've seen more people than I ever expected come to take the Utah Class who already had a Md permit.  Have to admit it surprised the heck out of me.  The key seems to be having all your ducks in a row before you ever submit the application.  The first thing to do is take the mandated 16 hr course.  If you are former military with a 214 you're exempt.  Look over their application carefully and have a good reason to give them--carrying $3,000 cash and being able to provide bank deposits etc is a good one and is generally approved contrary to what some have said happened to them years ago.  Personal protection is not generally accepted UNLESS you can show that there are other circumstances (being a landlord collecting rent, doing business late at night in questionable areas etc.). State police are a lot better than they used to be but it's far from easy.  Figure three to four months.

FYI, while I can teach the Md mandated course I've decided to simply stick with Utah.
View Quote

It IS ironic that the ice cream man is packing heat (probably) legally because he carries a lot of cash, but if you are in fear for your life, it sucks to be you.

I am a doctor and could, in theory, proclaim that I carry drugs people like to steal (which is not true). But even if I got a permit on those grounds, I could only use it when carrying those drugs. I have never applied.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:55:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's not impossible. You've gotta want it.

LLC, Show bank deposits and withdrawals, fill out the paperwork.

Word on the street is: If you are or were in any intelligence field, you will get approved because the MSP can't protect you from terrorism stemming from the OPM breach. No idea if that's true though.
View Quote

Sounds like a tale from an "operator".

I doubt MSP feels any legal obligation to protect any particular person.

But sounds good.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Business owners can get one fairly easily, as long as they articulate their need to protect business property. It will be restricted to business activities only. Currently bank depoaits are only to show that the business actually engages in business, and it not a shell front just to get a permit.

Employees of a business will have to meet the same criteria, plus have their wmployeer request/endorse the permit for business activities.
Example, gun shop employee with keys to the business, manager making bank depoaits ect

Some people have recieved their permits based on the following criteria, but only if they meet almost all of it:
-active duty or retired military
-current government or gov contractor job
-opm hack letter
-current clearance
-citations of isis threats in MD

MSP denies these routinely, but applicants have been successful upon appeals. MSP denies any isis threat, but they also dont have the clearances to know for sure.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Business owners can get one fairly easily, as long as they articulate their need to protect business property. It will be restricted to business activities only. Currently bank depoaits are only to show that the business actually engages in business, and it not a shell front just to get a permit.

Employees of a business will have to meet the same criteria, plus have their wmployeer request/endorse the permit for business activities.
Example, gun shop employee with keys to the business, manager making bank depoaits ect

Some people have recieved their permits based on the following criteria, but only if they meet almost all of it:
-active duty or retired military
-current government or gov contractor job
-opm hack letter
-current clearance
-citations of isis threats in MD

MSP denies these routinely, but applicants have been successful upon appeals. MSP denies any isis threat, but they also dont have the clearances to know for sure.
View Quote

Gotta love how property is more important than life....

And yet these same fucktards rail that property isn't worth taking a man's life
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top