Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2016 4:10:53 PM EDT
The wife's career may take us to the DC area. We started looking at a place in MD.  Then I checked the gun laws.  How bad are they in MD? Sounds pretty bad. No AR15's, no AK's, no SKS's, no M14's.  That sound accurate?

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#1]
MD sucks. Do not move here. You have been warned.

ARs are ok if they are HBAR.

AKs are banned

HK Roller locks are banned

Basically they took the AWB list  and added a few feature tests in 2013.

NFA is ok so an AK SBR is gtg.

Need Handgun license(HQL) to purchase a handgun or SBR on a Form 4. HQL requires prints and training

Lots more detail around the gun laws but this a high level view.

MD sucks. Do not move here. You have been warned.

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Gun laws are bad in Md.  Move to Va.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#3]
VA is much better for you.  Virginia is also an anti-subrogation state.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 10:52:43 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have any choice at all, pick not MD.  Northern VA is crowded, but at least it's VA.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:13:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Va is better across the board, but md isn't as bad as some would let on. I can still walk into a gunstore and walk out with a scar, hbar ar, or any post 93 design. All banned pre 93 designs like the ak,fal,hk 9x series are legal as sbr's.

Even with the new regulations,  nothing is really enforced

Biggest issue I see is essentially no ccw/ccl, with a such a large, rich and vibrant population.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#6]
When moving to the DC area years ago I made the wrong choice and bought a place in Maryland.  One of the biggest mistakes ever.  The taxes killed me, the politics pissed me off, and the restrictions on my RKBA kept growing.  After several years of saving and looking for someplace better I made the move south of the Potomac.  What a relief.  The feeling of a weight being lifted off my back was almost physical.  It's a damn shame because there are parts of Maryland, Washington County and points west for instance, that I really like but will never entertain the possibility of moving there.  Do the smart thing while you have the chance, settle in Virginia.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 8:25:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Va is better across the board, but md isn't as bad as some would let on. I can still walk into a gunstore and walk out with a scar, hbar ar, or any post 93 design. All banned pre 93 designs like the ak,fal,hk 9x series are legal as sbr's.

Even with the new regulations,  nothing is really enforced

Biggest issue I see is essentially no ccw/ccl, with a such a large, rich and vibrant population.
View Quote

I'm curious what you mean by 'nothing is enforced'?
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#8]
VA has better gun laws and probably lower taxes.  However, NOVA has been flooded with liberal transplants from around the country and loads of illegals for at least the last 15 years (hence, the solid "blue" in the north).  Besides the guns and taxes, Maryland wins on everything else.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#9]
There is a State police Barricks maybe 10 minutes away from elk neck shooting range, the place is always packed and if they really wanted to poster and put some teath behind the regulations they could show up on a Saturday,  start running numbers and checking barrel diameter or stampings.

They could also measure oal of sbr's and check form 1's to make sure they are pre ban sbr's.  They could check purchase date of people with scars to make sure they are good to go with factory muzzle device.

But they are not doing any of that stuff,  the msp has even stated officially that their own website that shows what stuff is legal should not be taken as official as they really have no clue what is good to go or not.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 7:54:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a State police Barricks maybe 10 minutes away from elk neck shooting range, the place is always packed and if they really wanted to poster and put some teath behind the regulations they could show up on a Saturday,  start running numbers and checking barrel diameter or stampings.

They could also measure oal of sbr's and check form 1's to make sure they are pre ban sbr's.  They could check purchase date of people with scars to make sure they are good to go with factory muzzle device.

But they are not doing any of that stuff,  the msp has even stated officially that their own website that shows what stuff is legal should not be taken as official as they really have no clue what is good to go or not.

View Quote

Very valid point
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys. Sounds a lot like NJ. I left there 14 years ago and never looked back.  We have decided that VA will be where we settle...for now.  We'll need to be close to a metro stop so we're looking fairly close in. Coming GA I was shocked.  Half the house/lot for almost twice the cost. It is what it is. The taxes are deinately better in VA than MD and I'd have to get rid of about a third of my guns. Not to mention having to register all my handguns.

Y'all got bad.  Thanks for the info.

Found another thread on the subject that referenced the md shooters forum. Very informative.

Thanks again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top