Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2015 6:07:49 AM EDT
Over the last 48 hours I have been having problems getting on the MDS website.  Is it just me or are others experiencing similar problems?
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 6:35:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I just checked, and was able to get to the site without any problems.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 6:54:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Hummm.. just tried again no luck.  I can get to all my other websites except MDS.  I will try again at work.  FWIW I tried in both WE and Chrome.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Incoming PM
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 6:10:45 AM EDT
[#4]
It's an IP problem.  I can get in through TOR but not using a Verizon IP address.

If you can assign yourself a new IP address or use TOR, the problem will probably go away.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 6:27:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I was able to check in to MDS yesterday at work but once agin I can't connect to MDS from home this morning.  

Ed - Thanks for the PM but it did not work.  

TallNorton-  I am using Verizon at home.  Can you explain the problem in a little more detail?  What's TOR?

Thanks all for the help.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never had a problem with ARF.  MDS has gone down several times, they always ask for donations shortly thereafter.  Not suggesting going down is a money making scheme, just that they are not well funded and therefore not as quality of a site as ARF.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 6:13:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Still unable to get to MDS from my home as of this morning.  I can get to all other websites it seems that MDS is in some kind of penalty box if you are a Verizon subscriber.  I do not understand.  Very frustrating.

On the phone with Verizon support now.  Talking to third support person at Verizon now.  He had me run a test from the command prompt.  He claims the problem is outside the Verizon network.  

He said the problem is at: awsrdns.net

But he put in a ticket anyway.  I may be screwed since they are blaming someone else.

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never had a problem with ARF.  MDS has gone down several times, they always ask for donations shortly thereafter.  Not suggesting going down is a money making scheme, just that they are not well funded and therefore not as quality of a site as ARF.  YMMV.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Both sites are great resources and both have their ups and downs. I've been a member here for quite a while and have seen a couple outages here and there too. A Google search of "AR15.Com down?" will bring up instances for your perusal. AFAIK, no site is immune from DOS attacks, hardware failures, etc.. Just because no outages have occurred while you happened to be online in the last year or two is probably more luck than skill.

I've been a member over at MDS since '07 and sure, they've been down a few times too. In the early days, membership increased dramatically and activity increased greatly. During these spurts of growth, they did indeed have outages due to exceeding our bandwidth. What you may not realize is that in those days, the owner of the site flatly refused any financial support and all of the site expenses were his. He didn't jam the site up with a gazillion paid ads (look around yourself right now), but quietly footed the bill for everything up until about 3-4 years ago. Activity at the MDS site is brisk, and yes, in the last couple years requests for donations have been made. There is no tier of withheld privileges like there is here, where if you don't kick in money for a paid membership, many standard board functions are denied. Regular member donations are voluntary in every way. I'm sure that now that you understand all this, you'll realize that the associations and conclusions you draw above are inaccurate and less than fair.
Quoted:
Still unable to get to MDS from my home as of this morning.  I can get to all other websites it seems that MDS is in some kind of penalty box if you are a Verizon subscriber.  I do not understand.  Very frustrating.

On the phone with Verizon support now.  Talking to third support person at Verizon now.  He had me run a test from the command prompt.  He claims the problem is outside the Verizon network.  

He said the problem is at: awsrdns.net

But he put in a ticket anyway.  I may be screwed since they are blaming someone else.

It would appear that AWSRDNS.Net is a hosting service, but I can't find an association between them and MDS. They also do not respond to direct access via their domain name. TallNorton is much more better at computing than I am and maybe he can identify those rascals.

Meantime, I don't think Verizon is actually the issue here. I have Verizon phone and internet and get into the site just fine. Verizon email has blocked incoming notifications from MDS, ArfCom and another site, so I have to use another email for those sites, but I can still go to those sites through their server.

Unless TallNorton can say whether there is a connection between AWSRDNS.Net and MDS, I would wonder if your browser is hijacked over to the other server. Ever run HijackThis?

The remark about TOR above refers to a proxy server, which will defeat your ISP's attempt to block you. You would go to the TOR website through Verizon and TOR would bounce you over to MDS. As far as Verizon knows, you just went to TOR, so they don't selectively keep you out of MDS.

What browser are you using? All updates current?

Are you keeping your cookies cleaned up? My first remedy would be to delete all cookies and restart your browser, then try again to access the site.

I'd suggest downloading CCleaner and using that to wipe out cookies and temporary files. Be careful about what you get rid of, especially saved passwords (not a good idea anyway, but if you saved them and don't recall, they can be deleted and gone).
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nah...your problem is that you got your wings clipped for being a misogynistic asshole and you stomped off like a child.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#10]
working fine this evening.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:48:54 AM EDT
[#11]
For the first time in several days I am able to get to the MDS website from home.  

For those of you who offered to help me resolve my problem Thank You!  

For the person who chose to complain about how MDS is managed I simply disagree with you.  Is it perfect?  No, but neither is this site.  But in both cases the sites (MDS & ARFCOM) offer more positive benefits than any minor problems they may have.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nah...your problem is that you got your wings clipped for being a misogynistic asshole and you stomped off like a child.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ironically, your comment would be against MDS rules.  LOL!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top