Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2015 12:44:29 PM EDT
I will be moving to southern MD in November/December right outside of DC. I am currently in Florida and wondering if NFA items are allowed in MD I currently own a LWRC with a 10.5in barrel and a KAC NT-4 supressor. Just wondering if I can bring them(I know I have to update paperwork). Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Nfa is good to go
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're talking about a SBR, it must be longer than 29" to be legal in Maryland.  The suppressor is not an issue.  

Link Posted: 10/15/2015 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're talking about a SBR, it must be longer than 29" to be legal in Maryland.  The suppressor is not an issue.  

View Quote

If coming in from out of state, this should be GTG.  Especially if it was manufactured/bought before 10/2013.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Seriously, MD is small enough that even if you have to work here, you can live in a "free" state.  Where will you be working?
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Income tax is very easy in Maryland.  Just tell them how much you made, then send it in
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nfa is good to go
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2015 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#7]
While Maryland in general sucks its not as bad for guns as people let on.

NFA is shall sign, which is funny as Concealed carry is a no go. oddly enough PA which is 25 miles north of my location is NFA may/but probably not sign but CCW is shall issue.

Pretty much all rifle designs post 1994 is pretty much cash and carry, AR15's are good to go as well. Maryland has a weird SBR law where min length is has to be greater than 29 inch's but its not enforced so as long as you put 29 inches on a form 1 your good to go.

AR's lowers can be built with HBAR barrels but since Maryland never defined what an HBAR is, the MSP guidance is as long as the barrel is stamped HBAR or is marketed as a heavy barrel its good to go,  it can be built into any configuration

got a pencil barrel and a steel letter stamp set, you have a Maryland legal hbar

Maryland is weird, and I plan on leaving in the new few years but its not because gun laws but for the rich and vibrant culture that is so prevalent these days
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#8]
There is a very good source of MD gun information and support on this web site.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=158200

That is a thread specifically addressing firearm issues when moving to MD.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 2:38:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not correct. The SBR must not be SHORTER than 29". As long as it's at least 29", it's good to go. It doesn't have to exceed that length. Just equal it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Just live in VA, stay away from Maryland.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 2:35:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just live in TX, stay away from Maryland.
View Quote

Fixed it for ya.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Fixed it for ya.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for ya.  

I'll second that....Bailed on MD in 2014 for TX.
Best thing ever...
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Best thing ever...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for ya.  

Best thing ever...

Sadly I'm only here temporarily for .mil stuff....soon as it's up i have to go back.

I've been told I'm welcome to remain a texan by choice, and fully intend on returning as soon as i get my 20 and drop retirement paperwork.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sadly I'm only here temporarily for .mil stuff....soon as it's up i have to go back.

I've been told I'm welcome to remain a texan by choice, and fully intend on returning as soon as i get my 20 and drop retirement paperwork.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for ya.  

Best thing ever...

Why?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:53:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for ya.  

Best thing ever...

Why?

...because I'd rather retire in Texas than in Maryland?
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:15:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah...I read that wrong

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 4:09:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah...I read that wrong

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah...I read that wrong

Had a feeling that was the case. Plus i now have more reason to get the hell back as soon as i can.....
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#19]
OP I used to live in MD.  I live in VA now.   mD isn't all that bad.

I still have a lot of shooting buddies in MD and I shoot there sometimes.

Here's 2 suggestions for your TEMPORARY stay in MD:

1) buy all the handguns you want NOW, before you move.  

In my opinion, the hurdles are highest for the 1st time MD handgun buyer; most everything else is still fairly easy to buy/order once you move to MD.  Even magazines are just a short drive to VA or PA.  Be warned that in-state prices are kind of high compared to what your probably used to.  And

2) make sure the handguns you own are on the official MD roster.  Most guns are on there.  But, IIRC, my old Kel Tec P32 wasn't on there so I never took it to MD; it was my carry gun for jogging for a while until I bought a 340PD.  Then I sold it down here in VA where I live.

Also, make sure you only have your handgun in your car when going direct to/from the range; that one could trip you up.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top