Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2015 12:09:41 PM EDT
Anyone know of any engravers close to Baltimore, Maryland that do SBR/Trust engraving?  Also looking for a local Cerakoter as well.  Have searched and found a few coaters but no engravers, I'm sure there are some Maryland guys on here that have some information. Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 3:03:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Around here, engravers usually double as a trophy shop...give that a shot.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 3:09:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Just be sure that they can meet the standard for height and- most importantly when it comes to most trophy shops- depth.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Just be sure that they can meet the standard for height and- most importantly when it comes to most trophy shops- depth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guys I use get most of their business from NFA engraving, but their store front is advertised as a trophy shop.  They definitely knew what they were doing.  They showed me a couple photos from a job they did for a guy with 100 AK receivers.  I guess he was looking to have a lot of fun
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 3:16:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The guys I use get most of their business from NFA engraving, but their store front is advertised as a trophy shop.  They definitely knew what they were doing.  They showed me a couple photos from a job they did for a guy with 100 AK receivers.  I guess he was looking to have a lot of fun
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I meant that more for the OP's knowledge.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 4:05:34 PM EDT
[#6]
You will probably have a lot better luck posting in your Hometown Forum:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_8/29_Maryland.html
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They must hold an FFL also

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This also.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 5:32:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Anyone know of any engravers close to Baltimore, Maryland that do SBR/Trust engraving?  Also looking for a local Cerakoter as well.  Have searched and found a few coaters but no engravers, I'm sure there are some Maryland guys on here that have some information. Thanks in advance
View Quote

I have used local engravers before on my first 3 SBR's  and I will ever do it again. Please dont do it... you will regret it once you see what a pro can do.

Check out identmarking online. They done an excellent job on my SBR's. It normally takes about 2-3 weeks but you get an excellent service in return. They even did mine in the mag well on the flared edge. Its hidden to me but the ATF can still easily find it.

http://identmarking.com/index.php/sbr-logo-engraving
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Not in Baltimore, but Veritas Machining did mine in a week.

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:43:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have used local engravers before on my first 3 SBR's  and I will ever do it again. Please dont do it... you will regret it once you see what a pro can do.

Check out identmarking online. They done an excellent job on my SBR's. It normally takes about 2-3 weeks but you get an excellent service in return. They even did mine in the mag well on the flared edge. Its hidden to me but the ATF can still easily find it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Ident does all of mine.  I have them engrave inside the trigger guard and it looks phenomenal.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:57:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I used Capital Armory. I am very picky and OCD, and they exceeded my expectations. 5 days total from my mailing it to receiving it back. 2 days after i sent it off and paid for it i noticed they had a sling attachment that I needed. I called to see if i could purchase it and they throw it in the same box as my receiver to save me shipping cost. When they answered the phone right away they told me that my receiver just came in and they were about to engrave it. I guess they pulled my info from my number from caller id. He verified my trust name and location and said it would be no problem to add the sling attachment. While i was on the phone, I asked if they had some noveske nsr rail covers, i didn't see any listed n their web site. Whoever I was talking to said he thought they did and would go look and call me back. About 2 hours later I received a call back and was told they had 3 open sets laying around, 2 complete sets and another 90% set. He said my lower was complete and if I wanted the rail covers he would charge me for 2 sets and give me the 2.9 sets he had laying around and throw it in the same box and ship it all that day. I received everything 3 days later and could not have been happier. $60 for the engraving which included shipping back, because I wanted it under my integrated trigger guard, otherwise it would have only been $50.

http://www.capitolarmory.com/sbr-sbs-firearm-engraving.html
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This also.

I think that the FFL requirement is only if you plan on leaving the item at the shop. If it is a "while you wait" service, you are still in the presence of the firearm.Thus, the FFL
is not necessary.

Double check, to be sure. But I am fairly certain on this, though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 10:25:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think that the FFL requirement is only if you plan on leaving the item at the shop. If it is a "while you wait" service, you are still in the presence of the firearm.Thus, the FFL
is not necessary.

Double check, to be sure. But I am fairly certain on this, though.
View Quote

ATF Guidance on this topic.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 10:40:43 PM EDT
[#15]
If you don't mind me asking, what's the engraving for? Is it an actual requirement for SBRs? I don't own any SBRs so I honestly don't know anything about the legalities and requirements, but it'd be nice to know for future knowledge. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you don't mind me asking, what's the engraving for? Is it an actual requirement for SBRs? I don't own any SBRs so I honestly don't know anything about the legalities and requirements, but it'd be nice to know for future knowledge. Thanks.
View Quote

The "maker" of the SBR must engrave the firearm (or barrel) with maker's name, city, and state.  Also engraved somewhere on the firearm (or barrel) must be the caliber.  This isn't just for SBRs, mind you, the manufacturer (not the same as maker, mind you) of any firearm (Title I or Title II) must engrave it with their name, city, state, and caliber.  Serial numbers must also be engraved, but 99.99999999% of Form 1 NFA firearms use the original manufacturers serial number (but you could, conceivably, engrave a new serial if you wanted to).

Form 1 SBR submitters are the "maker", and therefore they must engrave.  While there's no requirement for a non-manufacturer to engrave Title I firearms with a serial number (think 80% build), the NFA requires Title II weapons to have a serial number.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 1:21:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/d_clark/media/securedownload2_zpsd40d30a4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/d_clark/securedownload2_zpsd40d30a4.jpg</a>
View Quote

Veritas does mine as well in the same location.
Very thorough, you get a email of a digital overlay of the script on your receiver in the location you requested to approve before the job is done.

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 1:54:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I've used Orion for mine..they do a good job
http://www.orion-arms.com/sbr-engraving.html
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only the serial number has both a height requirement (1/16") and depth requirement (.003"). Maker info only has the .003" depth requirement.

Title 27: Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms  

§ 479.102 How must firearms be identified?  

(a) You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:

(1) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch; and

(2) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:

(i) The model, if such designation has been made;

(ii) The caliber or gauge;

(iii) Your name (or recognized abbreviation) and also, when applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer or maker;

(iv) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the firearm; and

(v) In the case of an imported firearm, the name of the country in which it was manufactured and the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the importer maintain your place of business. For additional requirements relating to imported firearms, see Customs regulations at 19 CFR part 134.

(b) The depth of all markings required by this section will be measured from the flat surface of the metal and not the peaks or ridges. The height of serial numbers required by paragraph (a)(1) of this section will be measured as the distance between the latitudinal ends of the character impression bottoms (bases).

(c) The Director may authorize other means of identification upon receipt of a letter application from you, submitted in duplicate, showing that such other identification is reasonable and will not hinder the effective administration of this part.

(d) In the case of a destructive device, the Director may authorize other means of identifying that weapon upon receipt of a letter application from you, submitted in duplicate, showing that engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) such a weapon would be dangerous or impracticable.

(e) A firearm frame or receiver that is not a component part of a complete weapon at the time it is sold, shipped, or otherwise disposed of by you must be identified as required by this section.

(f)(1) Any part defined as a machine gun, muffler, or silencer for the purposes of this part that is not a component part of a complete firearm at the time it is sold, shipped, or otherwise disposed of by you must be identified as required by this section.

(2) The Director may authorize other means of identification of parts defined as machine guns other than frames or receivers and parts defined as mufflers or silencers upon receipt of a letter application from you, submitted in duplicate, showing that such other identification is reasonable and will not hinder the effective administration of this part.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for all the replies guys
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Bollinger Gunsmithing did mine while I waited, give them a call at (410) 756-5454
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That kicks ass!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/d_clark/media/securedownload2_zpsd40d30a4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/d_clark/securedownload2_zpsd40d30a4.jpg</a>

That kicks ass!

I agree, they did an excellent job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top