Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2014 9:23:13 PM EDT
THANKS
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:20:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes there is. I bought mine back in '04 and had to wait 10 days for the state police to get done with the paper work. BS!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes there is. I bought mine back in '04 and had to wait 10 days for the state police to get done with the paper work. BS!
View Quote

I'm pretty sure he is referencing the new definition of a controlled firearm and SB281, etc.

In for the answer.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:23:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Couple months ago I picked up a stripped lower, waited 8 days.

I should also say that the lower was purchased before the ban. Lol
I might have forgot about the thing, and let it sit at the gun shop for over a year.... ok I did. I don't know if that changes anything about the wait or not.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a stripped lower about a month ago to build a pistol.  8 day wait, no HQL required though.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I bought a stripped lower about a month ago to build a pistol.  8 day wait, no HQL required though.
View Quote

Handgun Qualification License no
THANKS thats the answer I was looking for .
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:24:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Are you guys that are getting stripped lowers:

A)  Buying them at a Md. retail G.S. or:

B)  Buying them out of state and having them sent to a Md. store or FFL?

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:04:47 AM EDT
[#7]
2A sales for me in Savage, MD.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#8]
8-day wait like a handgun, but no HQL required.

Bought mine at Gun Connection, in White Marsh.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#9]
ahhh yes.... Gun Connection... home of the 89 dollar lower for 149.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:56:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I do not know much about Gun Connection but I see some negative comments about their pricing.  I have also noticed over the years many negative comments regarding price for other fixed location retail Maryland gun shops.  

Before complaining about price for fixed location gun shops in Maryland please consider that the reason prices are higher here is because of Maryland's restrictive un laws which raise the cost of opening a gun business here.

May I suggest that instead of complaining about Maryland gun shops with high prices we instead focus on providing the names and locations of Maryland gun shops we like?
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 9:40:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

For me its not their prices its their customer service. I have told the story before.
dropped a grand in there on a rifle. Didnt even get a thank you. I got ziggy pushing the rifle box towards me by the cashier's box saying ...ok.
Walked out thought about it. Came back in talked to the owner,  got the same attitude. "I dont know why they did that" BS F-them

Duffys gun shop. Gave me deals on .22 for my son's shooting club, and I get calls for shoots. Everything from BB gun to class 3.

So they got me once. It won't happen again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do not know much about Gun Connection but I see some negative comments about their pricing.  I have also noticed over the years many negative comments regarding price for other fixed location retail Maryland gun shops.  

Before complaining about price for fixed location gun shops in Maryland please consider that the reason prices are higher here is because of Maryland's restrictive un laws which raise the cost of opening a gun business here.

May I suggest that instead of complaining about Maryland gun shops with high prices we instead focus on providing the names and locations of Maryland gun shops we like?

For me its not their prices its their customer service. I have told the story before.
dropped a grand in there on a rifle. Didnt even get a thank you. I got ziggy pushing the rifle box towards me by the cashier's box saying ...ok.
Walked out thought about it. Came back in talked to the owner,  got the same attitude. "I dont know why they did that" BS F-them

Duffys gun shop. Gave me deals on .22 for my son's shooting club, and I get calls for shoots. Everything from BB gun to class 3.

So they got me once. It won't happen again.

Second for Duffy's. Great place, good people, they know their stuff. Vince is the guy to see for NFA stuff. Good gunsmith on premises, too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Duffy's, engage armament, 2A sales, Bollingers, and A1 are all gtg depending on your location.

Don't expect Internet prices at any brick and mortar gun store. Think of it as supporting the gun community in MD
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:43:05 PM EDT
[#16]
So what does this mean re: recent laws?  It wasn't long ago that shops weren't selling stripped lowers.  Now they are.  What changed?  Interpretation of the law?

Given they are selling stripped AR receivers - is there any reason that any of those same shops wouldn't FFL a stripped NoDak Spud AK receiver for me?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:24:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So what does this mean re: recent laws?  It wasn't long ago that shops weren't selling stripped lowers.  Now they are.  What changed?  Interpretation of the law?

Given they are selling stripped AR receivers - is there any reason that any of those same shops wouldn't FFL a stripped NoDak Spud AK receiver for me?
View Quote

Basically what happened was some of the FFLs got together (I believe led by engage armament) and petitioned that seeing as ar pistols and hbar ar-15s were still legal, the state couldn't ban lower receivers because technically they could be built into legal firearms.  

So long story short, an ar lower will be transferred to you with the 8 day wait, no HQL needed.  The rub is that it must be built into an ar pistol or using a stamped heavy barrel.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:43:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Basically what happened was some of the FFLs got together (I believe led by engage armament) and petitioned that seeing as ar pistols and hbar ar-15s were still legal, the state couldn't ban lower receivers because technically they could be built into legal firearms.  

So long story short, an ar lower will be transferred to you with the 8 day wait, no HQL needed.  The rub is that it must be built into an ar pistol or using a stamped heavy barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:33:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about piston rifles?
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 4:39:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not an AR-15.

Not on the list = cash and carry
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Not an AR-15.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not an AR-15.

Sweet. My local FFLs still refuse to transfer any AR and no LGS has given me a straight answer to date.

I don't have any plans for more AR builds in the future so I've just naturally been out of the loop.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 12:58:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not an AR-15.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not an AR-15.

Then theoretically these could be bought cash & carry (after NICS) in a neighboring state?  Isn't that the case with the AR-10 as well?
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Then theoretically these could be bought cash & carry (after NICS) in a neighboring state?  Isn't that the case with the AR-10 as well?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not an AR-15.

Yes it is.

If you can find a dealer in another state that's willing to do so.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 12:30:22 AM EDT
[#24]
I bought a AR-15 lower in early Jan from a gun store and went through the 8 day wait. I turned around and bought a AR-10 lower @ a gun show a few weeks later in Jan and walked out with it. How that worked...??? Don't know and not questioning it. A week after that I grabbed a Ak pistol. Im currently waiting on my Spike's Tactical "Spartan" AR lower I ordered to hit the FFL. I know for sure I'll be taking that looong wait.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I bought a AR-15 lower in early Jan from a gun store and went through the 8 day wait. I turned around and bought a AR-10 lower @ a gun show a few weeks later in Jan and walked out with it. How that worked...??? Don't know and not questioning it. A week after that I grabbed a Ak pistol. Im currently waiting on my Spike's Tactical "Spartan" AR lower I ordered to hit the FFL. I know for sure I'll be taking that looong wait.
View Quote

AR10 lowers are cash and carry, AR15 lowers are not.  Makes no sense but that's the law.  Dedicated 9mm lowers are also cash and carry.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

AR10 lowers are cash and carry, AR15 lowers are not.  Makes no sense but that's the law.  Dedicated 9mm lowers are also cash and carry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Dad had to get his HQL for his dedicated 9mm.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dedicated 9mm lower should DEFINITELY be cash and carry.  I purchased a CMMG dedicated nah meel lower cash and carry at Shooter's Discount in Mount Airy.  The dealer screwed up if they wanted an HQL and/or MSP paperwork.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Stripped ar15 lowers can still be purchased out of state and transferred to my FFL, in MD (to be built into an HBAR)?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Stripped ar15 lowers can still be purchased out of state and transferred to my FFL, in MD (to be built into an HBAR)?
View Quote

Correct, Comrade.  You can also build an AR pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top