Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2014 11:42:50 AM EDT
I bought myself a new lower and some parts, registered as a pistol, with the intent to build an SBR.  However, I'm starting to see things about rifles under 26" being banned, or the state otherwise having problems with SBRs which were previously classified as a different type of NFA weapon.  What's the current verdict on building an SBR (with the proper tax stamps), before I spend any more money on this?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:22:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I was confused about this as well so I talked to my local gun shop.
As I understand it, SBR's are out of the question in MD these days.
If you have a lower you bought before the ban date last year you can build a pistol or any style rifle (nfa rules apply... no sbr's, but you can use any barrel profile you choose). If you bought a lower after the ban date, you must build a HBAR.
I hope someone with more knowledge can share some more insight
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 12:38:27 AM EDT
[#2]
all i know is when i went to my lgs, a class III, they told me that MSP is not even accepting paperwork right now due to so much confusion in the laws.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I WOULD THINK SBR SHORT BARREL RIFLES
' WOULD BE LEGAL MAYBE  JUST NOT THE SEMI AUTOMATIC ONES . UNLESS THEY WOULD HAVE A HEAVY BARREL AND THE SAME FEATURE AS THE NON NFA AR15'S.?????????????????????????/
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Colt M4 Carbine  SHORT BARREL RIFLE
HEAVY BARRELS ARE AVAILABLE BARREL LENGTH 14.5INCHES

OVERALL LENGTH (STOCK RETRACTED)29.8 in. (75.69 cm)
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Colt M4 Carbine  SHORT BARREL RIFLE
HEAVY BARRELS ARE AVAILABLE BARREL LENGTH 14.5INCHES

OVERALL LENGTH (STOCK RETRACTED)29.8 in. (75.69 cm)
View Quote

11.5 BARREL 3 INCHES SHORTER STILL OVER 26 INCHES IN LENGTH

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#6]
My understanding is you can still build one using an ATF Form 1.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My understanding is you can still build one using an ATF Form 1 and heavy barrel.  I need to link up with some other gun law attorneys and challenge Maryland's impossible position of trying to classify a SBR as a rifle and a handgun.  The ignorance of the MSP is criminal...

Or, you can just go .308 :)
View Quote

A lot of misinformation in this thread.  SBRs are good to go in MD and are being signed off by ATF and MSP.  There is no heavy barrel reg or anything, they must be longer than 29".  More info on mdshooters that will tell you exactly what the deal is.  Tons of guys over there building them on form 1s
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:14:29 PM EDT
[#8]
OK, good, glad to hear they hadn't stopped signing off on them all of the sudden.  I was going to send them a letter on Monday asking what was going on.  Thanks for clearing it up.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:58:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Does it ready matter? Call it 29 and be done with it. The paperwork or the length will NEVER be looked at.

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Does it ready matter? Call it 29 and be done with it. The paperwork or the length will NEVER be looked at.
View Quote

Also, I thought the length for NFA purposes was measured with any adjustable buttstocks unfolded and fully extended.

Otherwise... a regular title 1 sidefolder AK with a slant brake is only something like 24-25", which would make all sidefolder AKs SBRs (less than 26" OAL).  Also, things like sidefolder Sig rifles (which are legal in MD).

So it should be quite easy to build an SBR to more than 29" OAL as measured with the buttstock fully extended.  
For example, a 10.5" barrel with 1.5" muzzle device and a SOPMOD stock is 29.5" OAL with the buttstock all the way out.

And you don't want a 5.56 barrel shorter than 10.5" anyhow, trust me.  I mean, it makes a fun toy, but that's about it.

I guess the law screws the 300BLK club a bit, but...  If anybody tries to give you shit about it, just put a suppressor on it and you're golden.  

Do the form 1 and put 29.5" on it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Register the sbr with a 14.5HB BARREL 29.5 inches overall length - With and sbr you can own different length barrels . 10.5  11.5 ect . and you can use them on the sbr . If you change it permanently to a different LENGTH barrel you have to update the ATF.  If you are worried about shooting in Maryland with the shorter barrels take it to another state to shoot. VIRGINIA , PENN. WEST VIRGINIA  . AN APPROVAL FORM 5320  HAS TO BE FILED WITH ATF ONCE A YEAR TO TAKE IT OUT OF STATE AND TO WHICH STATE.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Also, I thought the length for NFA purposes was measured with any adjustable buttstocks unfolded and fully extended.

Otherwise... a regular title 1 sidefolder AK with a slant brake is only something like 24-25", which would make all sidefolder AKs SBRs (less than 26" OAL).  Also, things like sidefolder Sig rifles (which are legal in MD).

So it should be quite easy to build an SBR to more than 29" OAL as measured with the buttstock fully extended.  
For example, a 10.5" barrel with 1.5" muzzle device and a SOPMOD stock is 29.5" OAL with the buttstock all the way out.

And you don't want a 5.56 barrel shorter than 10.5" anyhow, trust me.  I mean, it makes a fun toy, but that's about it.

I guess the law screws the 300BLK club a bit, but...  If anybody tries to give you shit about it, just put a suppressor on it and you're golden.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

plus one. Dont over think it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:00:54 AM EDT
[#13]
http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p516-10-pistol-with-sb15-pistol-stabilizing-brace.aspx

EASY

MARYLAND LEGAL - YOU ARE LEGALLY ALLOWED TO SHOULDER THE WEAPON PER ATF.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top