Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2014 8:04:40 PM EDT
I have a few lowers laying around and was going to gift one to a friend who lives in MD.  Is this doable (through FFL of course)

He would build a rifle if possible not pistol

What kind of rifle could he build?  iv read just an hbar?  which is just  heavy barrel without the m4 cut right?

Lastly,  are you guys allowed to complete an 80% lower?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:31:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in PA, but fairly confident on my answers provided.  

Md residents can now buy stripped lowers again, so you can gift one to your friend.  
He would have to build an HBAR only.  I think the other profiles are banned now.  
80% lowers can be completed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:40:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Since md does not define what a hbar is, pretty much anything outside of lightweight build is fine.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since md does not define what a hbar is, pretty much anything outside of lightweight build is fine.
View Quote

No. The law uses the Colt HBAR as reference. No less than .750" at the gas port.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#4]
So basically all AR15s now no matter caliber must be an HBAR using colts barrel as the standard?  I have a customer wanting a 6.8 for hunting purposes so I'm trying to research this for him. Does anyone possibly have a link to the laws describing the new restrictions.

Thanks,
Brett
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:40:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So basically all AR15s now no matter caliber must be an HBAR using colts barrel as the standard?  I have a customer wanting a 6.8 for hunting purposes so I'm trying to research this for him. Does anyone possibly have a link to the laws describing the new restrictions.

Thanks,
Brett
View Quote

this is a community sourced FAQ

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=109281

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:08:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No. The law uses the Colt HBAR as reference. No less than .750" at the gas port.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Daniel Defense started making all of their barrels .750" at the gas block, including their lightweight profiles.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:42:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Daniel Defense started making all of their barrels .750" at the gas block, including their lightweight profiles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then it's up to the MSP on that one.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:32:19 PM EDT
[#8]
VISITING FAMILY IN MARYLAND - RELATIVE WAS ASKING ME ABOUT COLTS FROM WHAT I GATHERED -COLT 6721 HBAR, COLT 6700 HBAR , COLT 6601 AND 6600 HBAR , COLT 6720 HBAR -COLT 6724- COLT 6731 -ARE LEGAL -   WONDERING ABOUT THE COLT SP901 308 , AND THE COLT PISTON CARBINE 6940P ? ANY INFO ON COLT'S WOULD HELP THANKS - ALSO LOOKING FOR A FFL IN FREDERICK MARYLAND AREA FOR REASONABLE TRANSFER FEE  THANKS
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

VISITING FAMILY IN MARYLAND - RELATIVE WAS ASKING ME ABOUT COLTS FROM WHAT I GATHERED -COLT 6721 HBAR, COLT 6700 HBAR , COLT 6601 AND 6600 HBAR , COLT 6720 HBAR - ARE LEGAL -   WONDERING ABOUT THE COLT SP901 308 , AND THE COLT PISTON CARBINE 6940P ? ANY INFO ON COLT'S WOULD HELP THANKS - ALSO LOOKING FOR A FFL IN FREDERICK MARYLAND AREA FOR REASONABLE TRANSFER FEE  THANKS
View Quote
Bollinger Gunsmithing - best price for transfers in the area, as well as outstanding service and a very talented gunsmith.  http://www.bollingergunsmithing.com/

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Since The term HBAR lacks a specific definition, any barrel can be stamped by the manufacturer of the rifle as an HBAR. This is per a meeting of FFLs with MSP about the time that it was decided that a stripped lower can be sold in MD. Since you are the manufacturer when you build from a lower, you can stamp the HBAR on the barrel yourself.

I am not a lawyer. This information was relayed to me by several FFL holders that attended the meeting mentioned above. This is not legal advice. Check with your FFL before proceeding with this course of action.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks,
Brett
View Quote

No, not all calibers, just 5.56.  6.8 SPC should be good to go, cash and carry.  Only 5.56 is needs to be HBAR or pistol.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No, not all calibers, just 5.56.  6.8 SPC should be good to go, cash and carry.  Only 5.56 is needs to be HBAR or pistol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,
Brett

This isn't 100% clear, and I would encourage you to go with an HBAR no matter what caliber (unless building on a dedicated 9mm lower or the like).
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,
Brett

Or SBR
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#14]
If your buddy wants to put a piston-system upper on it, I think it falls outside the whole HBAR thing.

And "variants" in calibers other than 556/223 are also OK.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top