Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2014 1:04:22 PM EDT
As the title says, I've got a buddy moving to Baltimore and I'm planning on helping him move.  I was planning on taking a pistol along for the ride but I don't know what sort of legal shitstorm I'm walking into.  

Can I legally bring a handgun into the state while I'm helping him move?  It would be unloaded and locked during transport.  I know I can't CCW, but I'm not sure if I need a permit to even possess a pistol or if it would need to be registered.  Basically, I'd at least like to have one at the apartment until I can eject back to firearm-friendly Ohio.  I've been scouring the internet but I can't seem to find a straight answer.

Any MD residents have any advice?
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 4:29:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Maryland law is not good in general for transporting handguns. We are not a shall issue CCP state.   In Baltimore the city is particularly gun hostile.  

I can't give you an answer on the law and the lack of clarity is part of the problem.  I will say this,  if you encounter Baltimore police and you are an out of state visitor I would guess that you have a 98% chance of getting a hard time and a 70% chance of getting arrested.

These are just guesses from a long time resident.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maryland law is not good in general for transporting handguns. We are not a shall issue CCP state.   In Baltimore the city is particularly gun hostile.  

I can't give you an answer on the law and the lack of clarity is part of the problem.  I will say this,  if you encounter Baltimore police and you are an out of state visitor I would guess that you have a 98% chance of getting a hard time and a 70% chance of getting arrested.

These are just guesses from a long time resident.  Good luck.
View Quote

Damn.  I was afraid of that.  I guess I'll just bring a pointy stick and hope for the best.  

Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#3]
If he owns or leases the residence, you may bring it there.

It must be unloaded and inside a container or "enclosed holster" during transport.

You may not deviate from your trip while transporting the pistol.  No stops or detours.

It may be loaded and ready inside the residence if you wish, but must be secured if there are children around.

Your permit to carry is not valid, obviously.

I am not a lawyer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top