Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2014 7:14:05 PM EDT
I'll be there in a few weeks, for a few weeks.  What can I do, and what will get me arrested?

Since I can't carry a pistol legally, what can I do legally?  Will a Benchmade send me to prison there or what?  Can I walk around with an assault hammer?
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:19:03 AM EDT
[#1]
no spring assist knives, no handguns, no fun

but all that aside, i am a Baltimore police officer, hit me up we will meet for a beer and show you around
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

but all that aside, i am a Baltimore police officer, hit me up we will meet for a beer and show you around
View Quote

So kershaw o Ives are illegal now?
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like a plan, I definitely will.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#4]
spring assist knives that are concelead, i.e. clipped to pockets are illeagal.

now am i saying that you would get locked up? no, but it is illeagal. mostly enforced on bad guys.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#5]
And can I carry a mini Griptillian with a clip?  Any issues with that?
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Serious question - it certainly sounds like it would be fine, but I thought I'd ask because your laws are well, you know, fucking retarded.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 5:59:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Nfa ok? All I have is a sbr & can.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nfa ok? All I have is a sbr & can.
View Quote

I don't care, but the governor might
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Serious question - it certainly sounds like it would be fine, but I thought I'd ask because your laws are well, you know, fucking retarded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Maryland state knife law has no restrictions on blade length or style.

The only things banned are fixed blades (except during activities requiring them e.g. hunting, fishing, camping, when they must be carried openly), automatics (legal to own/collect, cannot carry outside the home), and "gravity knives."

"Gravity knives" are a legal classification which has no strict definition - however, it basically means an automatic that doesn't have a spring.  You hold it upside-down, press the button, and the blade falls out and locks open.  If you need to turn your wrist or manipulate the knife further to complete the opening, it's NOT a gravity knife.  So while you can hold, for example, a Benchmade Griptillian horizontally with the spine of the blade down, retract the AXIS lock, and the blade will fall down into the halfway open position... because you then have to turn the knife more and/or apply rotational force to get it to complete the opening, it is NOT a gravity knife.

Spring assist is 100% legal under MD law as well.  Again, any blade style or length is also okay.

HOWEVER...

State law does not have preemption.

Baltimore may have additional restrictions, such as the mentioned ban on spring-assists.  I don't know that they do or don't; I'm not a resident.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The only things banned are fixed blades (except during activities requiring them e.g. hunting, fishing, camping, when they must be carried openly), automatics (legal to own/collect, cannot carry outside the home), and "gravity knives."

"Gravity knives" are a legal classification which has no strict definition - however, it basically means an automatic that doesn't have a spring.  You hold it upside-down, press the button, and the blade falls out and locks open.  If you need to turn your wrist or manipulate the knife further to complete the opening, it's NOT a gravity knife.  So while you can hold, for example, a Benchmade Griptillian horizontally with the spine of the blade down, retract the AXIS lock, and the blade will fall down into the halfway open position... because you then have to turn the knife more and/or apply rotational force to get it to complete the opening, it is NOT a gravity knife.

Spring assist is 100% legal under MD law as well.  Again, any blade style or length is also okay.

HOWEVER...

Baltimore may have additional restrictions, such as the mentioned ban on spring-assists.  I don't know that they do or don't; I'm not a resident.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

HOWEVER...

Hey thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I guess this is as good as anywhere to ask without starting a new thread, since I will be in the greater Baltimore area for work about 2 weeks from now.

I have an Emerson CQC 13, it has the neato wave opening feature, where it basically snags on the corner of your pocket and opens itself, but only if you pull it out a certain way. However, it has zero springs or traditional auto features.

Am I good to go or am I asking for a cornholing by the man?

Also, I am assuming that if I were to carry this knife in DC I would be facing 25-life in prison. Not sure though
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:19:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The knife shouldn't be a problem in Baltimore,

In DC I tend to carry smaller (3" or less) knives, unless I'm planning on going in a museum or some official building, then I leave the blade in the vehicle.
View Quote

Got it. Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top