Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2014 9:00:41 PM EDT
I tried my best. I voted for the best candidates we could, to no avail.

I applied for a position within the company for which I work in Atlanta, GA.

I was offered the position and now we are GA bound. My wife, our three small kids, and myself must now go south and hope for the best.

We will miss all of the nice things about our state. Western MD, southern MD and the eastern shore will be missed.

But I can't pass up the opportunity to move to a state that doesn't disregard it's oath to operate within the boundaries set by our Constitution.

I've lived here all of my 30 years, but I'm very happy to leave.

I'll be happy to serve as a scout to any of my MD brothers who wish to join me.

Farewell, Maryland !!

Best wishes to those still trapped behind enemy lines! I am sorry that I've abandoned the fight, but I have to do what is best for me and mine.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#1]
You're doing what you feel is best for your family, nothing wrong with that.  Hope your move is everything you want and more.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 1:14:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Good for you brother. I've got to say I'm a bit jealous, and many of us are not far behind you. Best wishes
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:58:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:03:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good luck. Stay safe in Atlanta
View Quote

I hear the people there are very friendly

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:12:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Good luck. Stay safe in Atlanta
View Quote

Thanks.

We will actually be living in Peachtree City, about 30 minutes south and west of ATL.

I know parts of Atlanta ain't exactly Mayberry...

Currently in northeast Baltimore, btw. Hamilton, specifically.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:08:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Perfect timing, op.

georgia new gun laws
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Can't blame you one bit.

This fucking state...
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't blame you, I just wish I had the chance myself..

good luck
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 9:55:05 PM EDT
[#9]
You know, it's funny. We've been talking about this for three years. Last Wednesday I saw the opening online and applied for it. On Friday I did a phone interview and was offered the job on the spot. Now we are scared as hell, but excited. We didn't know it would happen this fast!

I'm glad we've been renting and had such a good arrangement with the landlord, because we will be in GA only three weeks after I got the offer.

It's no small task to uproot so quickly, but if we don't take the opportunity now, we may regret it later.

Thanks for your support guys. We appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Good luck!  Wish I was going with you.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Good luck, OP. I don't blame you for getting out, and may be doing the same.

My wife and I had a very serious conversation last Thursday about moving to Seattle, and she was very enthusiastic. That surprised me a little, but we're now sorting out professional opportunities, assessing various neighborhoods, and making plans to visit at the end of the summer. I don't think we'd actually move until mid-to-late 2016, but we are eager to get our plans in order.

As for why we're moving... it's not entirely about the guns. This entire state is devolving into an nanny state that hates business, encourages illegal immigration, literally cannot budget ("maintenance of effort", anyone?), doesn't have the geek culture of Boston/Seattle/SF, and never met a government union it didn't love. But, it's somewhat about the guns, too. The recent MSP SBR/SBS advisory is basically the straw that broke the camel's back, because it showed to me that the state is going to crack down in the dumbest fashion possible and is not predictable. I can live with stupid and predictable, but not stupid and unpredictable. Washington state just unbanned suppressors and SBRs in nearly unanimous votes, so you can see the juxtaposition.

If I thought we could win the fight, I'd stay. But I don't see us winning in the courts or legislature, and the demographics of MD are horrible for us in the long-term. Time to bail, alas. I wish those who stay behind the best of luck, and I pray you prove me wrong.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 12:46:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I would be gone if my business was movable.

At the DMV now watching all these new Americans get liscensed or try to get liscensed. More democrat voters being made right in front of me.   They move here because it is nice and then try and f it up like the pace hey left.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 12:55:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Good luck, OP. I don't blame you for getting out, and may be doing the same.

My wife and I had a very serious conversation last Thursday about moving to Seattle, and she was very enthusiastic. That surprised me a little, but we're now sorting out professional opportunities, assessing various neighborhoods, and making plans to visit at the end of the summer. I don't think we'd actually move until mid-to-late 2016, but we are eager to get our plans in order.

As for why we're moving... it's not entirely about the guns. This entire state is devolving into an nanny state that hates business, encourages illegal immigration, literally cannot budget ("maintenance of effort", anyone?), doesn't have the geek culture of Boston/Seattle/SF, and never met a government union it didn't love. But, it's somewhat about the guns, too. The recent MSP SBR/SBS advisory is basically the straw that broke the camel's back, because it showed to me that the state is going to crack down in the dumbest fashion possible and is not predictable. I can live with stupid and predictable, but not stupid and unpredictable. Washington state just unbanned suppressors and SBRs in nearly unanimous votes, so you can see the juxtaposition.

If I thought we could win the fight, I'd stay. But I don't see us winning in the courts or legislature, and the demographics of MD are horrible for us in the long-term. Time to bail, alas. I wish those who stay behind the best of luck, and I pray you prove me wrong.
View Quote

I would be careful about picking seattle/washington state.  While Oregon and Washington are decent in certain ways, they are vulnerable to liberal influx from California.  And the big cities in those states have their own liberal contingent.

Look into Austin, you have an interesting and varied culture there, while being in Texas which is much more "stable".
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Texas will be toast with the coming amnesty.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would be careful about picking seattle/washington state.  While Oregon and Washington are decent in certain ways, they are vulnerable to liberal influx from California.  And the big cities in those states have their own liberal contingent.
View Quote

They passed the SBR debanning bill by 95-3. I think they'll be OK for a while, especially since they've got state pre-emption... I'd worry more about federal laws than state laws in that time frame.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 11:04:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Better hope not.

Otherwise you won't see an R president ever again.

Quoted:
Quoted:

They passed the SBR debanning bill by 95-3. I think they'll be OK for a while, especially since they've got state pre-emption... I'd worry more about federal laws than state laws in that time frame.

You do realize I am talking about the borader picture.  Just because there aren't more gun laws on the horizon, doesn't mean that life there will be rosy with the possible changes in other areas.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Update:

I've been here since the 18th and started work on the 21st. With three small kids, the wife and me have been busy, needless to say.

But so far we love it. We already have begun the process of buying our new home.

We are outside every day with the youngsters and relaxed as can be. I've noticed I'm not pissed off all the time here hahaha...

Also, I applied for my CCW four days ago. All I needed was my new GA CDL (or DL) to prove residency.

The form is 1.5 pages long, you pay $79.25, get photographed, fingerprinted, then wait two weeks for your card to arrive in the mail. Then start carrying.

I was at the courthouse for 22 MINUTES. That's it.

Come on in fellas,  the water is fine.

Also, the mortgage payment on our new home looks to be about the same as we were paying to rent our old house in BMore.

Good luck boys!!

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn, my wife might be getting transfer there. You will like the gun freedom, as any where else, just be aware of your surroundings. It's very easy to tell in Atlanta if you need to be on alert.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top