Originally Posted By 1badf350:
Originally Posted By Andras:
Actually it's already illegal to use a binary explosive w/o a license.
What they have done is banned selling both components together as a 'kit'.
Actually, I believe, Md allowed possession of as much unmixed componants as you wanted and limited the possession of mixed product to 5 pounds.
You confused the 5# exception for smokeless and black powder.
§ 11-105. License required; exceptions
(a) In general. –– Except as otherwise provided in this subtitle, a person shall obtain a license issued under this subtitle before the person engages in business as a manufacturer or dealer, possesses explosives other than explosives for use in firearms, or possesses or stores explosives for use in firearms in the State.
(b) License to engage in business as dealer required. ––
(1) A person shall obtain a license to engage in business as a dealer under this subtitle before the person engages in the business of loading or reloading small arms ammunition in the State.
(2) The owner or operator of a mine, quarry, or other operation or business that uses explosives, or a contractor who performs work that uses explosives, shall obtain a license to engage in business as a dealer under this subtitle.
(c) Exceptions –– Armed forces and others handling explosives. –– This section does not apply to the armed forces of the United States, the National Guard, the State Guard, or officers or employees of the United States, the State, or a local subdivision of the State who are authorized to handle explosives in the performance of their duties.
(d) Exceptions –– Possession of explosives for use in firearms. ––
(1) Subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person need not obtain a license to possess or store up to 5 pounds of smokeless powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition, and up to 5 pounds of black powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition or for use in the loading of antique arms or replicas of antique arms, if the smokeless powder and black powder are stored in their original shipping containers and are possessed only for personal use in firearms.
(2) A person may not possess or store explosives for use in firearms in any quantity in multifamily dwellings, apartments, dormitories, hotels, schools, other public buildings, or buildings or structures open for public use.
(3) Notwithstanding paragraph (2) of this subsection, the State Fire Marshal may issue a permit to allow temporary possession of explosives for use in firearms in a building or structure open for public use.
§ 11-101. Definitions
(a) In general. –– In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) Dealer. ––
(1) "Dealer" means a person who is engaged in the business of buying or selling explosives.
(2) "Dealer" does not include a manufacturer.
(c) Explosives. ––
(1) "Explosives" means gunpowder, powders for blasting, high explosives, blasting materials, fuses other than electric circuit breakers, detonators and other detonating agents, smokeless powder, and any chemical compound or mechanical mixture that contains oxidizing and combustible units or other ingredients in such proportions, quantities, or packing that ignition by fire, friction, concussion, percussion, or detonation of any part of the compound or mixture may and is intended to cause an explosion.
(2) "Explosives" includes bombs and destructive devices designed to operate by chemical, mechanical, or explosive action.
(3) "Explosives" does not include fixed ammunition for small arms, small arms ammunition primers, small arms percussion caps, safety and pyrotechnic fuses, quills, quick and slow matches, friction primers, fireworks, or common matches when used in their original configuration.
(d) Explosives for use in firearms. –– "Explosives for use in firearms" means:
(1) smokeless powder for loading or reloading small arms ammunition; or
(2) black powder for loading or reloading small arms ammunition, antique arms, or replicas of antique arms.
(e) Local licensing authority. –– "Local licensing authority" means the sheriff or chief of police of the county or community where the applicant for a license resides or has a regular place of business.
(f) Manufacturer. –– "Manufacturer" means a person who manufactures or otherwise produces explosives.
If you do not have a license, as soon as you mix binary components you are in illegal possession of explosives.