Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Hello,
I'm a native Marylander of 33 years, but moved to VA about four years ago but I still work in MD, specifically wonderful PG County. Here's my question, and it may be rhetorical.

The way I read the law, I can transport an unloaded hand gun, separate from a loaded magazine from my residence in VA to place of business in MD. As a supervisor I'm also allowed to do this, so long as I have permission of my boss.

As someone who works with, and stores a lot of, shall we say, coveted and expensive electronic devices, we have some "shady" characters come in from time to time, and I usually lock up after dark by myself. Of course, using a firearm to protect myself in such an event opens myself to all the legal issues with that. BUT, at the very least want to be following the letter of the law with regards to transporting my firearm to and from home to business.

NOTE: I am not currently doing this, just wanted clarification before doing so.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 7:15:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Changed] [#2]
I do not think you would be legal to transport your own pistol.

First, you may only transport in a vehicle if you are the owner and operator of the business, and
Second, a supervisory employee is not allowed to transport off the premises of the business.

Put together, the owner of the establishment must transport the handgun to the store/business for the supervisory employee to use.

From the code:
exemptions:

(3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(7) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a supervisory employee:

(i) in the course of employment;

(ii) within the confines of the business establishment in which the supervisory employee is employed; and

(iii) when so authorized by the owner or manager of the business establishment; or
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the clarification.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:30:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Changed] [#4]
I edited the list of banned assault pistols into the 7th post on the front page, along with the old post about detachable magazines since it is in the same section of MD code.

Link Posted: 5/28/2011 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 2:06:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By RobertM:
I'm in the same boat , I live in VA and go to MD twice a month to work, so I can't even open carry a wheel gun???

Unless you have a MD CCW, or fit one of the LEO or Federal exemptions on the first page, then no.

Even if you are the business owner, it may not be worn unloaded as allowed by the 'shooting activities' clause while traveling.

But hey, you can open carry a long arm, the AG said so!

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 10:06:42 PM EDT
[#7]
The MD "transportation of" handgun rules are very ambiguous.  IIRC the issue was brought up a few years ago but lawmakers did not pass.  Say I am driving back from the range and need fuel for my car, there is  nothing to stop a police officer who saw me with a handgun leaving the range from arresting me if I stop at a gas station or to get food because it is not one of the legally approved destinations.    I am guessing that nearly 100% of MD shooters who legally own firearms and travel to ranges to shoot could technically have committed felonies because the way the law is worded
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By fr3d:
The MD "transportation of" handgun rules are very ambiguous.  IIRC the issue was brought up a few years ago but lawmakers did not pass.  Say I am driving back from the range and need fuel for my car, there is  nothing to stop a police officer who saw me with a handgun leaving the range from arresting me if I stop at a gas station or to get food because it is not one of the legally approved destinations.    I am guessing that nearly 100% of MD shooters who legally own firearms and travel to ranges to shoot could technically have committed felonies because the way the law is worded

Except that its a misdemeanor and not a felony.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 9:01:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Andras,
Great stuff.  About the "assault pistols", as you might remember in another thread I asked about building up an AR pistol.   You replied just to build it as there was no issue since even though the receiver was purchased before "other" was on the 4473, the receiver is "virgin".  I came here to double check and read the....

(Note: The Bushmaster Semi-automatic Pistol means the old ARM Pistol, not an AR15 pistol, which is on the roster)

...Now, is that your note or actually a revision written into the law?  I just want to make sure.  Also, would it be wise to get a letter from Spike's stating that the receiver was not sold as a complete rifle?  You know, to prove it's "virinity"?
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 9:47:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Changed] [#10]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Andras,
Great stuff.  About the "assault pistols", as you might remember in another thread I asked about building up an AR pistol.   You replied just to build it as there was no issue since even though the receiver was purchased before "other" was on the 4473, the receiver is "virgin".  I came here to double check and read the....

(Note: The Bushmaster Semi-automatic Pistol means the old ARM Pistol, not an AR15 pistol, which is on the roster)

...Now, is that your note or actually a revision written into the law?  I just want to make sure.  Also, would it be wise to get a letter from Spike's stating that the receiver was not sold as a complete rifle?  You know, to prove it's "virinity"?

That's my note. The Bushmaster AR pistol wasn't in production when the AP list was made. There is a Bushmaster AR pistol on the Roster right now. The AR Pistol can't be an AP since it's on the roster. Same with the 9mm Skorpion (Banned) and .32 ACP Scorpion (Rostered)

You don't have to prove shit. They'd have to prove the receiver was originally manufactured as a rifle, and that's for the Feds, not MD.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#11]
What about AK type pistols? Are the outlawed in md?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:45:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By GreatExile:
What about AK type pistols? Are the outlawed in md?

Not outlawed as an Assault pistol IIRC (check page 1), but you'll pretty much have to make one or move here with one. It can't be transferred since it's not on the registry. Now if you can find one manufactured before the registry cutoff then that could be transferred..
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By gen1runner:
God I hate MD

Informative post nonetheless

Maryland  IS a slave state.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:29:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kdmoore] [#14]
OK, I've read this thread, thanks all.

My case is this: Virginian here.  Friend is coming into BWI and I'm meeting her. We'll plan on staying the night, likely do the inner harbor, Aquarium, maybe even a ball game. Am I just SOL re: my carry gun. Common sense (I know, died a long time ago!) would say that I could separate ammo and lock it up in the trunk. Carry it into the hotel room and store it in the room safe/hotel safe.  

I hate being unarmed.  Besides that, We'll move to other areas to visit in VA where I can legally carry. I'm planning to visit a bit of DC as well ... likely will stay in surrounding VA hotel where I can store my handgun before heading into DC.

So, am I just out of luck as far as having my handgun with me seeing as I know I'll plan on staying a night and some part of a day in MD?.  Anyone know any good places that I could store my handgun in VA, before entering MD?

Side note, would welcome any suggestions on things to do before leaving MD, Let's not gum this thread up, but email them to me? Trip happening the end of this week to end of next.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Bring a rifle or shotgun in a covert case if you feel you have to be armed, but leave your handgun at home.

IANAL/TINLA
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone know about Federal land?  I'm planning on camping in Assateague this weekend and will travel from Hampton Roads.  Reading this  thread is confusing, but I found this on the NPS.gov website:

Firearms in National Parks
The law governing possession of firearms inside a national park changed on February 22, 2010.
Visitors may possess firearms within a national park unit provided they comply with federal, state, and local laws.
The role of the responsible gun owner is to know and obey the federal, state, and local laws appropriate to the park they are visiting.
Please remember that federal law prohibits firearms in certain park facilities and buildings. These places are marked with signs at public entrances.
For more information
Please visit:

http://www.nps.gov/asis/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

Am I good to go?
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 2:58:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Good to go with what? Handgun almost certainly no if you are in MD
Long gun? Maybe yes if it's unloaded while in your vehicle.
Do you really want the hassle?

IANAL/TINLA
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 7:18:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Changed] [#18]
Some questions have been posted regarding inherited firearms. Federal law allows you to receive an firearm and transport it to your home that was acquired as a result of a bequest or intestate succession. MD considers the transaction to be a gift and, in the case of a regulated firearm, requires the recipient to fill out Form 77R and mail it in within 5 days.

http://www.mdgunsafety.com/mspfaq.htm
Can the transfer of a regulated firearm be conducted between two family members?
Yes, this type of transaction is considered a gift. The law stipulates, if the regulated firearm is a gift to the purchaser’s, spouse, parent, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, or child, the recipient shall:
(1)Complete an application to purchase or transfer a regulated firearm; and
(2)Forward the application to the Secretary of the State Police within 5 days after receipt of the regulated firearm.

Is there a fee when a transaction is considered a gift?
No, the fees are waived.

Can I acquire a regulated firearm through inheritance?
Yes, provided the heir completes an application for the purchase or transfer of a regulated firearm and forwards it to the Secretary of the Maryland State Police.

The actual MD code states:
PUBLIC SAFETY
TITLE 5. FIREARMS
SUBTITLE 1. REGULATED FIREARMS

Md. PUBLIC SAFETY Code Ann. § 5-136 (2012)

§ 5-136. Straw purchases

(a) Scope of section. --

(1) This section does not apply to a person who purchases a regulated firearm as a gift if:

(i) the regulated firearm is a gift to a resident of the State; and

(ii) 1. both the purchaser and recipient of the gift comply with the requirements of this subtitle that relate to the possession, sale, rental, receipt, transfer, or purchase of a regulated firearm; or

2. if the gift is in the form of a gift certificate, only the recipient of the gift need comply with the requirements of this subtitle that relate to the possession, sale, rental, receipt, transfer, or purchase of a regulated firearm.

(2) If the regulated firearm is a gift to the purchaser's spouse, parent, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, or child, the recipient shall:

(i) complete an application to purchase or transfer a regulated firearm; and

(ii) forward the application to the Secretary within 5 days after receipt of the regulated firearm.

(3) The Secretary shall waive the $ 10 application fee required under § 5-118(a)(2) of this subtitle for a gift purchased in accordance with this subsection.

(b) Prohibited. -- A person may not knowingly or willfully participate in a straw purchase of a regulated firearm.

HISTORY: An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 442(b); 2003, ch. 5, § 2.

For completeness here are the ATF regs:
§ 478.29 Out-of-State acquisition of firearms by nonlicensees.
No person, other than a licensed im- porter, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, shall trans- port into or receive in the State where the person resides (or if a corporation or other business entity, where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person out- side that State: Provided, That the provi- sions of this section:
(a) Shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State,

§ 478.30 Out-of-State disposition of firearms by nonlicensees.
No nonlicensee shall transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any fire- arm to any other nonlicensee, who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the per- son is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of busi- ness in) the State in which the transferor resides: Provided, That the provisions of this section:
(a) shall not apply to the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or any acquisition by intestate succes- sion of a firearm by, a person who is per- mitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his resi- dence; and (b) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

§ 922 Unlawful acts. (a) It shall be unlawful—
...(3) for any person other than a li- censed importer, licensed manufac- turer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other busi- ness entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm pur- chased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State, except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succes- sion in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State, (B) shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in confor- mity with subsection (b)(3) of this sec- tion, and (C) shall not apply to the transportation of any firearm acquired in any State prior to the effective date of this chapter;
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 8:23:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Changed] [#19]
Just a friendly reminder that tannerite is not legal in MD. It is an explosive once mixed and as a result possession is banned unless licensed:

§ 11-105. License required; exceptions

(a) In general. -- Except as otherwise provided in this subtitle, a person shall obtain a license issued under this subtitle before the person engages in business as a manufacturer or dealer, possesses explosives other than explosives for use in firearms, or possesses or stores explosives for use in firearms in the State.

(b) License to engage in business as dealer required. --

(1) A person shall obtain a license to engage in business as a dealer under this subtitle before the person engages in the business of loading or reloading small arms ammunition in the State.

(2) The owner or operator of a mine, quarry, or other operation or business that uses explosives, or a contractor who performs work that uses explosives, shall obtain a license to engage in business as a dealer under this subtitle.

(c) Exceptions -- Armed forces and others handling explosives. -- This section does not apply to the armed forces of the United States, the National Guard, the State Guard, or officers or employees of the United States, the State, or a local subdivision of the State who are authorized to handle explosives in the performance of their duties.

(d) Exceptions -- Possession of explosives for use in firearms. --

(1) Subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person need not obtain a license to possess or store up to 5 pounds of smokeless powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition, and up to 5 pounds of black powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition or for use in the loading of antique arms or replicas of antique arms, if the smokeless powder and black powder are stored in their original shipping containers and are possessed only for personal use in firearms.

(2) A person may not possess or store explosives for use in firearms in any quantity in multifamily dwellings, apartments, dormitories, hotels, schools, other public buildings, or buildings or structures open for public use.

(3) Notwithstanding paragraph (2) of this subsection, the State Fire Marshal may issue a permit to allow temporary possession of explosives for use in firearms in a building or structure open for public use.

HISTORY: An. Code 1957, art. 38A, §§ 27, 27A, 27B, 29, 35; 2003, ch. 5, § 2; 2012, chs. 502, 503.

§ 11-114. Prohibited acts; penalty -- In general
(b) Possession of explosives other than explosives for use in firearms without license prohibited. -- Except as otherwise provided in this subtitle, a person may not possess explosives other than explosives for use in firearms in the State unless the person is licensed under this subtitle.
(f) Violation of regulations prohibited. -- A person may not violate a regulation adopted under this subtitle.

(g) Penalty. -- Except as otherwise provided in § 11-116 of this subtitle, a person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 5 years or a fine not exceeding $ 5,000 or both.

§ 11-115. Prohibited acts; penalty -- Explosives for use in firearms; required reports

(a) Prohibitions on possession or storage of explosives for use in firearms. --

(1) A person may not possess at any time or store in any one place more than 5 pounds of smokeless powder or more than 5 pounds of black powder for use in firearms unless the person is licensed under this subtitle.

(2) A person may not engage in the business of loading or reloading small arms ammunition unless the person is licensed to engage in business as a dealer under this subtitle.

(3) Except as otherwise provided in this subtitle, a person may not possess or store explosives for use in firearms in any quantity in multifamily dwellings, apartments, dormitories, hotels, schools or other public buildings, or buildings or structures open for public use.

(b) Prohibition on sale of explosives for use in firearms. -- A dealer may not sell, barter, give, or dispose of more than 5 pounds of black powder or more than 5 pounds of smokeless powder for use in firearms to any one person at any one time unless the person is licensed under this subtitle.

(c) Failure to file reports or records prohibited. -- A person may not fail to file reports or records required under § 11-112 of this subtitle.

(d) Failure to file report of theft prohibited. -- A person may not fail to file a report of theft of explosives required under § 11-113 of this subtitle.

(e) Penalty. -- A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 6 months or a fine not exceeding $ 500 or both.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#20]
The poster erwos on MDShooters has consented to allow me to copy his FAQ on SB281 to this thread.

THIS FAQ IS CURRENT WITH THE PASSED VERSION AND THE LATEST MSP MEETINGS. Full text is here.

Q: Is the ban retroactive before 10/1?
A: No, provided the banned guns were in your possession or has a purchase order for, or completed an application to purchase, in otherwise-banned configurations before October 1, 2013. This is called "grandfathering". Registration of grandfathered guns was removed in the House amendments. If you own it, or it's in MSP wait hell, or you even just have it on order (KEEP THE RECEIPT), you should be good to go.

Whenever I write "banned", assume the gun can be grandfathered!

Q: Do I need a license (with fingerprinting) to keep my pistols?
A: No.

Q: How do I prove I owned a gun prior to October 2013?
A: You don't need to. The burden of proof is on the state. However, to quote Clandestine, the burden of your defense attorney is on you, so you may want to consider using Jeremy Robinson's affidavit service if you're worried about this.

Q: What constitutes a valid purchase order?
A: Early reports from the MSP meetings imply that it's a document listing the gun and some sort of payment. Later meetings implied that it could be something simple - an email trail, that sort of thing. No one really has a template.

Q: Can I keep mags with a greater than 10rd capacity?
A: Yes. There is no ban on possession with magazines. They do not need to be registered. You are not able to receive >10rd mags that come with a transfer that started pre-10/1.

Q: Are there any transport issues with grandfathered guns?
A: No. The original SB281 text was ambiguous about this, but the current text makes it very clear that transport is fine.

Q: Can my kids inherit my banned firearms?
A: Yes. Inheritance is one of the carve-outs, provided the firearm was lawfully owned by the deceased. The text doesn't seem to distinguish between out of state or in-state.

Q: Can I dodge any of this with a trust?
A: Probably not. The MSP has an "interesting" take on trusts where the trustee who filled out the form is considered, for all intents and purposes, the owner.

Q: What happens if my gun is still being transferred after October 1, 2013?
A: You're fine. New language in the bill makes this more explicit. If it's a handgun, the MSP are currently allowing transfers without an HQL if the transfer started before 10/1.

Q: Do I need to register a regulated firearm that I bought as regulated (ie, with a form 77r) within the state of Maryland?
A: No. Registration of grandfathered guns is now gone. Note that you may be required to register your grandfathered assault weapons and handguns if you move in from out of state.

Q: What's the difference between an assault weapon, assault long gun, a copy, and a copycat weapon?
A: The basic definitions:

[*]Assault Long Gun: Any of the named long guns that are currently regulated. An assault long gun cannot be a copycat weapon.
    [*]Copy: A copy of an assault long gun.
    [*]Copycat weapon: A gun that fails the appropriate feature, OAL, or fixed magazine test.
    [*]Assault Pistol: Any of the named pistols that are currently banned.
    [*]Assault Weapon: An assault pistol, assault long gun, copy, or copycat weapon.

Q: What's on the list of banned "assault long guns"?
A: The list as found in the law, verbatim, is below. I have added my comments in italics:
A firearm that is any of the following specific assault weapons or their copies, regardless of which company produced and manufactured that assault weapon:  

[*]American Arms Spectre da Semiautomatic carbine (uncommon Italian 9mm rifle; SITES is the pistol version)
    [*]AK-47 in all forms
    [*]Algimec AGM-1 type semi-auto (uncommon 9mm bullpup rifle)
    [*]AR 100 type semi-auto (might be a repeat of the Daewoo AR-100 mentioned later)
    [*]AR 180 type semi-auto (semi-auto AR-18)
    [*]Argentine L.S.R. semi-auto (FN FAL derivative)
    [*]Australian Automatic Arms SAR type semi-auto (Leader Dynamics T2 Mk5 in assault rifle config; less than 2000 imported)
    [*]Auto-Ordnance Thompson M1 and 1927 semi-automatics (tommy guns)
    [*]Barrett light.50 cal. semi-auto (only the semi-auto)
    [*]Beretta AR70 type semi-auto (very few imported)
    [*]Bushmaster semi-auto rifle (this is a very specific rifle (not an AR-15 or M17S) originally manufactured by Gwinn Firearms, and is not "all Bushmaster rifles")
    [*]Calico models M-100 and M-900
    [*]CIS SR 88 type semi-auto (never imported to the US, to the best of my knowledge)
    [*]Claridge HI TEC C-9 carbines
    [*]Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle
    [*]Daewoo MAX 1 and MAX 2, aka AR 100, 110C, K-1, and K-2 (may exclude the DR-200?)
    [*]Dragunov Chinese made semi-auto (but not the Russian version?)
    [*]Famas semi-auto (.223 caliber)
    [*]Feather AT-9 semi-auto
    [*]FN LAR and FN FAL assault rifle (LAR is also known as FALO heavy barrel model)
    [*]FNC semi-auto type carbine
    [*]F.I.E./Franchi LAW 12 and SPAS 12 assault shotgun
    [*]Steyr-AUG-SA semi-auto
    [*]Galil models AR and ARM semi-auto (Galil ACE and Micro don't seem to be included?)
    [*]Heckler and Koch HK-91 A3, HK-93 A2, HK-94 A2 and A3 (but only these specific models, apparently)
    [*]Holmes model 88 shotgun (I don't think these were ever made)
    [*]Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle in any format (notice that it only says rifles)
    [*]Manchester Arms "Commando" MK-45, MK-9 (tommy gun clone)
    [*]Mandell TAC-1 semi-auto carbine (I don't think these really exist)
    [*]Mossberg model 500 Bullpup assault shotgun (this was a very specific factory model)
    [*]Sterling Mark 6
    [*]P.A.W.S. carbine (sten gun clone)
    [*]Ruger mini-14 folding stock model (.223 caliber) (this was a very specific factory model)
    [*]SIG 550/551 assault rifle (.223 caliber) (has generally been interpreted to not include the 556 or 556R)
    [*]SKS with detachable magazine (this is referring to the SKS-M and SKS-D, but accidentally catches after-market detachables)
    [*]AP-74 Commando type semi-auto (Italian 22lr rifle; looks a bit like an M16)
    [*]Springfield Armory BM-59, SAR-48, G3, SAR-3, M-21 sniper rifle, M1A, excluding the M1 Garand (note that this includes the HK-91 with fixed stock)
    [*]Street sweeper assault type shotgun
    [*]Striker 12 assault shotgun in all formats (revolver shotgun; it's a destructive device now)
    [*]Unique F11 semi-auto type (22lr FAMAS; extremely rare in the US, if it was ever imported)
    [*]Daewoo USAS 12 semi-auto shotgun
    [*]UZI 9mm carbine or rifle (not immediately apparent if this includes the Uzi Pro)
    [*]Valmet M-76 and M-78 semi-auto
    [*]Weaver Arms "Nighthawk" semi-auto carbine (weird 9mm Uzi-like carbine; takes Uzi mags)
    [*]Wilkinson Arms 9mm semi-auto "Terry" (very limited production; magazine goes in the pistol grip)

Q: What's a copy of an assault long gun?
A: It's entirely up to MSP interpretation, perhaps with a bit of paranoia from your FFL sprinkled in. The last MSP bulletin on the subject seemed to say that complete parts interchangeability was a requirement to be a copy. There was also a very old bulletin (the infamous bulletin 96-1) that made some other claims on the topic... but it's not relied on very much these days.

Q: What are the evil features for semi-auto centerfire rifles that take detachable mags?
A: The list is:
1. Folding stock
2. Grenade or flare launcher
3. Flash hider

THE ABILITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAG IS NOT COUNTED AS AN EVIL FEATURE.

Q: Can I accidentally turn an assault long gun into a copycat weapon and get it banned post-10/1?
A: No. The law is clear that "copycat weapon" does not include assault long guns (or assault pistols, for that matter).

Q: What are the evil features for semi-auto pistols that take detachable mags?
A: The feature test for pistols was removed. The only banned pistols have a fixed mag > 10rds or are on the assault pistols list. Also note that the assault pistols list does not include copies anymore.

Q: What are the evil features for semi-auto shotguns?
A: There's only two, but if you have either, you're banned (one feature test):
1. Folding stock
2. Revolving magazine (think "Street Sweeper").

Q: How does the evil feature test work?
A: The amended SB281 has a "two feature test" for rifles and a "one feature test" for shotguns.. If you have two "evil features", your semiautomatic centerfire rifle with detachable mags is banned (but see above about grandfathering). Semi-auto shotguns are only banned if they've got a folding stock or if it's a revolver shotgun, as noted above.

Q: How do you measure OAL for rifles for the purpose of the OAL < 29" test?
A: This is not spelled out by the law. Currently, the MSP seems to be using the same definition as the BATFE: stock unfolded and fully extended. Evidence of this can be found from the MSP not classifying rifles with a folded length of < 26" as "MD SBRs". Examples of such rifles would be the folding stock Vz-58 and AMD-65. It is difficult to imagine this standard changing, as it would inadvertently criminalize the ownership of hundreds of already-possessed firearms with no warning.

Q: How does this affect non-semi-auto guns (pumps, levers, bolt guns, etc.)?
A: It does not ban any non-semi-auto guns!

Q: My pistol takes mags that have a greater than 10rd capacity. Is it banned?
A: A fixed magazine greater than 10rds can get a semiauto centerfire rifle or semiauto pistol banned. It's a complete non-issue for detachable mags, albeit you won't be able to buy them in the state.

Q: What gun has a fixed mag greater than 10rds that's not a .22LR tube mag?
A: A modded SKS comes to mind. Also, using a bullet button could do much the same thing.

Q: Are combo flash hiders / brakes and flash hiders / comps considered flash hiders?
A: If it reduces flash or is intended to reduce flash, it's a flash hider. The bill is pretty clear about that. This means that combo devices that are advertised as affecting flash are considered flash hiders.

Q: What's going on with threaded barrels?
A: Threaded barrels are not an evil feature on semi-auto centerfire rifles with detachable mags (but flash hiders are).

Q: Are AR-15 rifles that can accept 5.56x45 mags in the magwell and function with a 5.56x45 upper banned?
A: Unless it's an HBAR, yes. Non-HBAR AR-15s are named assault long guns. HBAR AR-15s are subject to the copycat tests. There are a couple FFLs that transfer piston guns as unregulated; I am unaware of a general MSP interpretation allowing this, and would caution against assuming that this "loophole" is real.

Q: Are AK rifles banned?
A: Yes. They are named assault long guns.

Q: Are AR-15 pistols banned?
A: No, unless you do something really stupid with them like putting a bullet button and a > 10rd mag in. Note that you still have handgun roster issues with these.

Q: Are AK pistols banned?
A: No, unless the MSP decides that they're AK-47 clones (which would be a real jump in logic). Note that you still have handgun roster issues with these.

Q: Are 5.56x45-compatible AR-15 stripped lowers banned?
A: Please see the post below.

Q: I have a stripped AR-15 lower. Do I need to build it in a banned configuration before the ban?
A: Please see the post below.

Q: I have an HBAR AR-15 that I bought as unregulated, but is in a configuration that would be banned (eg, flash hider plus grenade launcher). Do I need to register it if SB281 becomes law?
A: No. Registration is gone.

Q: Are all HBAR AR-15s considered to be copies of the Colt Sporter H-BAR?
A: I've heard two different answers to this:
1. The MFLDA was told by the MSP a long time ago that it was only with a fixed stock.
2. The MSP says right now that it's any AR-15 with a heavy profile barrel. Early reports from the MSP meeting indicate they are going to be more specific about the required profile in the future.

The second interpretation is the one that is generally accepted, but be aware that the first interpretation is still in play at some FFLs.

Q: I have a dedicated .22LR AR-15 like the M&P15-22 that can't accept 5.56x45 magazines. Is it banned?
A: No.

Q: I have a .22LR AR-15 built on a 5.56x45-compatible AR-15 lower. Is it banned?
A: No one's sure yet. It has a lot to do with the answer to the stripped lowers question. There's also some ambiguity about what happens if you pin in a Catch22 bolt release (which prevents non-.22LR uppers from functioning with the lower).

Q: Are there any regulated rifles and shotguns if SB281 passes?
A: Nope. The old list of regulated rifles and shotguns get turned into completely-banned "assault long guns". There's no provision for regulated transfers of any other rifles or shotguns.

Q: Are any parts banned?
A: Nope. No worries about maintaining your collection of flash hiders... just be careful what guns you put them on.

Q: What's going on with bullet buttons?
A: The way the bill is currently written, no one's sure. It mentions them explicitly, but in a way that would seem to allow you to use them. Given the other compromises in this bill, this may be intentional. Note that using a bullet button means your maximum magazine size is now 10 rounds, as a magazine capacity greater than that would fail the "fixed mag greater than 10rds" test for a copycat.

Q: What's going on with suppressors?
A: Suppressors per se are not banned, but you may find centerfire rifle with detachable mag hosts harder to come by. Suppressors are flash hiders. Flash hiders are an evil feature on semi-auto centerfire rifles with detachable mags.

Q: What's going on with machineguns?
A: Machineguns are exempt from the ban, as it specifies "semiautomatic" weapons. This is thought to be intentional.

Q: What's going on with SBRs?
A: SBRs are not banned, but depending on the AG/MSP interpretation of the law, may be subject to the copycat and OAL tests. Reports from the MSP meetings are conflicting, but the final ones suggested that they would be subject to the copycat and OAL tests, and possibly even copies of assault long guns. It was generally accepted in the past that the MSP does not consider SBRs to ever be on the assault long guns list, by design. This might have changed...

Q: What's going on with SBSs?
A: SBSs are not banned, but depending on the AG/MSP interpretation of the law, may need to be compliant with the folding stock and revolver shotgun tests. Reports from the MSP meetings are conflicting, but the final ones suggested that they would be subject to the folding stock and revolver shotgun tests, and possibly even copies of assault long guns.  It was generally accepted in the past that the MSP does not consider SBSs to ever be on the assault long guns list, by design. This might have changed...

Q: Can I build an SBR out of a grandfathered gun after the ban comes into effect?
A: This is definitely a grey area if the new gun would be considered a copycat weapon (even if the gun it was made from is already a copycat gun). There are competing federal and state standards for what constitutes manufacturing of firearms. Reports from the MSP meetings are conflicting, but seem to lean towards yes.

Q: What's going on with AOWs?
A: There are no known issues with these now that the feature test for pistols is gone.

Q: This ban seems to only really hit old guns that were scary in the early 90's. Am I reading this correctly?
A: You are not the first person to notice this, and it has been discussed at length in the Washington Post. Please don't regard this as some sort of "op sec" issue.

This section becomes somewhat more opinion-oriented.

Q: What's going on with stripped AR-15 lowers?
A: Reports from the MSP meetings indicate that:
1. Stripped lowers will not be for sale in Maryland after 10/1.
2. You may or may not be able to build a pre-10/1 stripped lower (transferred as regulated) after 10/1. Conflicting information has been given out, but generally leans towards post 10/1 builds being OK.

Q: What's the story with the HK91A2 and the fixed stock PTR-91?
A: For whatever reason, the named list omits the HK91A2 (the HK91 with fixed stock) from the listed of banned guns. This has led some to speculate the only the folding stock version is prohibited. However, the list also contains the Springfield Armory SAR-3 (aka SAR-8), which is an HK91A2 clone. The inclusion of the SA SAR-3 would seem to prohibit future sales of the HK91A2 or PTR-91 with fixed stock.

Q: What's going on with the Sig 556?
A: Most FFLs do not treat the Sig 556 as a regulated firearm due to it not being a true clone of the 550/551, but rather a close derivative. However, it does use the same serialized receiver as the Sig 550/551, and thus there are some concerns that a re-interpretation of "copy" combined with one definition of a firearm being "the frame or receiver" could wind up causing future problems for the 556. Note that the law specifies .223 as the caliber for the Sig 550/551, so the 556R is generally thought to be safe.

Q: What's going on with the Bushmaster M17S?
A: A number of people have erroneously interpreted the "Bushmaster rifle" on the named list to mean "all Bushmaster rifles" or "the Bushmaster bullpup". In fact, the gun on the list is referring to the Gwinn Firearms Bushmaster rifle. Security Arms has some good photos of it. No manufacturer is noted for the Bushmaster rifle on the list because the ownership of the manufacturer had changed hands. The Bushmaster M17S, on the other hand, narrowly missed inclusion in the AWB named list due to its unpublicized late 1994 release. Barring erroneous interpretation by the MSP or your local FFL, the Bushmaster M17S should be perfectly legal for sale in factory configuration.

Q: Is a Garand modified for 7.62x51 and detachable magazines considered to be a copy of an M1A or BM-59?
A: The licensing division guidance has been "no", and this is perfectly sensible. The M14/M1A and BM-59 has considerably more changes than a simple Garand modification. Shuff's Parkerizing can sell you one of these conversions.

Q: What's going on with the Masterpiece Arms MPAR556?
A: The MPAR556 is strikingly similar to the Leader Dynamics T2, which is on the banned list in the form of the AAA SAR. However, the early word is that the parts are not interchangeable with the Leader Dynamics T2, which should be enough to keep it from being considered a copy. (Incidentally, the MPAR556 comes with a folding stock and comp, and thus should be legal for sale within MD.)
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Moved from md to sc 4.5 years ago... first pist i bought here i thought it was a joke when they said i could take it that day.... screw md....live free in sc...
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#22]
I finally converted my exiled Mac 11 to a carbine. If I could figure out how to search and post pics I would show you my MUZI.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Does FOPA come in if I am just travelling through Maryland from Virginia? I am travelling through to the eastern shore of Virginia, and going through MD instead of southern VA shaves off three hours?

Go or no go?
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 4:48:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Changed] [#24]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By g3shooter:
Does FOPA come in if I am just travelling through Maryland from Virginia? I am travelling through to the eastern shore of Virginia, and going through MD instead of southern VA shaves off three hours?

Go or no go?
View Quote

handgun or longarm?

You're going NoVA>MD>ESVA?
I'm not sure if FOPA helps going to a final destination in your own state through another since you can take the longer route in your own state.

Is your destination a residence or business you own or lease? A shooting event?

As long as the handgun is unloaded and cased or holstered, you are legal to transport a handgun to a residence, a business, or a shooting event (or gunstore or range) under MD law.
Longarms can be tossed in the trunk as long as they are unloaded.

If they are out of sight, don't drive like an idiot.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#25]
What about revolvers if I'm just passing through the skinny part?
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By bassackwards:
What about revolvers if I'm just passing through the skinny part?
View Quote

A revolver changes nothing, either comply with FOPA or MD's rules while within the state.

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:08:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Andras:

handgun or longarm?

I'm not sure if FOPA helps going to a final destination in your own state through another since you can take the longer route in your own state.

As long as the handgun is unloaded and cased or holstered, you are legal to transport a handgun to a residence, a business, or a shooting event (or gunstore or range) under MD law.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Andras:
Originally Posted By g3shooter:

Go or no go?

handgun or longarm?

MSP answered my original question, they said that I am g2g as long as my pistols are unloaded and cased separately from ammo while travelling through.

What about going to a shooting event IN MD and staying the night at a friends place with pistols, is that kosher?

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:30:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spartan16] [#28]
Driving to MD to visit a friend later this month. I already know I can’t carry in MD (I’ll put everything in the trunk per MD’s laws) but I am curious on pistol mag cap limit. Is there one? If so, how many rounds is the limit?

Then I see this on the NRA's site and it makes me nervous to even have a pistol in my car:

Carrying and Transportation in Vehicles

It is unlawful for any person without a permit to wear or carry a handgun, openly or concealed, upon or about his person.  It is also unlawful for any person to knowingly transport a handgun in any vehicle traveling on public roads, highways, waterways or airways, or upon roads or parking lots generally used by the public. This does not apply to any person wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun within the confines of real estate owned or leased by him, or on which he resides, or within the confines of a business establishment owned or leased by him.

Rifles and shotguns being transported in motor vehicles must be unloaded.

A person may transport a handgun if they can demonstrate that the handgun is being carried, worn or transported:

-To or from a place of legal purchase or sale, or repair shop;
-Between a person’s bona fide residences, or between his residence and place of business, if the business is operated and substantially owned by that person;
-While engaged in, or traveling to and from a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, trapping, or dog obedience training class or show; or
-By a bona fide gun collector who is moving any part or all of his gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition.

During transportation to and from the above places the handgun must be unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or enclosed holster.  An additional penalty is provided for any person convicted of unlawfully wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun, if his deliberate purpose was to injure or kill another person.
View Quote

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/maryland/

But maryland.gov says:

?They must be unloaded, in a carrying case, holster with a flap and the ammunition should be separate. It would be best to keep the unloaded weapon in the trunk where you do not have access to it. There are further regulations but essentially you can only transport a handgun between residence, to and from a repair shop, a shooting sporting event, between a residence and place of business if substantially owned and operated by the person. For more information please contact our Licensing Division?.
View Quote

So that looks like I'm okay so long as everything is separate and in the trunk.

Still haven't found information on magazine limit though.

*sigh*
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:30:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheDevilYouLove] [#29]
No mag limit to bring into state.  Just can't sell mags >10 rounds.  Everybody just goes out of state to get them and bring them back.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#30]
I'll be spending a week in Baltimore in August. I know MD doesn't recognize any licenses from out of state, so I looked into getting a MD license, which they don't specifically say can't be issued to someone who lives out of state (that I could find). However, it looks like I have to be fingerprinted by someone in Maryland, so I guess that's out.

I suppose I could carry a fixed blade or my normal spring-assist folder, but I'm not sure the definition of "switchblade" in MD. I read through this thread, but the most recent mention of knives is from years ago and I know things can change. Can I get a summary of knife laws?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By the_naked_prophet:
I'll be spending a week in Baltimore in August. I know MD doesn't recognize any licenses from out of state, so I looked into getting a MD license, which they don't specifically say can't be issued to someone who lives out of state (that I could find). However, it looks like I have to be fingerprinted by someone in Maryland, so I guess that's out.

I suppose I could carry a fixed blade or my normal spring-assist folder, but I'm not sure the definition of "switchblade" in MD. I read through this thread, but the most recent mention of knives is from years ago and I know things can change. Can I get a summary of knife laws?
View Quote
Avoid a spring assist. Even if it's legal, the cops in Baltimore will still hook you up for it (see Freddy Grey)
Fixed blades are legal but can't be concealed.
A non spring assisted folding blade (pen knife) can be carried concealed.

IANAL/TINLA
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 12:44:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Hey gents...  just perused through this thread but it doesn't seem to be too up-to-date...

Headed to a 2-gun match in MD this weekend and I'm requesting your help:

1) Transport: Is unloaded, with guns and ammo in separate unlocked bags in the trunk ok?

2) Magazines: Are 30-round AR15 magazines ok, or are only 20-rounders allowed?

3) AR15 rifle:  Is a 14.5" barrel with pinned flash hider kosher?  It's an EagleArms (Armalite) lower, is that ok?  Collapsible stock ok?

Anything else I need to worry about?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:08:27 AM EDT
[#33]
If it's not too late, all those things are fine. Pistols must be cased or holstered and all firearms must be unloaded.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 12:57:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: INMY01TA] [#34]
Originally Posted By PTM76:
The easy solution is just applying to the MSP for collector status. Then all you are allowed to transport it to any residence of private property.
View Quote

Designated Collector status lets you get around one purchase per month, it does not give you any leeway in transporting. This has been discussed to death on Mdshooters.

https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/designated-collector-transporting-firearm.211185/page-3
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top