Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/17/2007 5:11:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Changed]
See the next post for Rifles and Shotguns, and go down to the 7th post for Assault Pistols and Detachable Magazines.

The bolded parts below will generally cover civilians transporting handguns.

§4-203. Wearing, carrying, or transporting handgun.

(a)  Prohibited.-  

(1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:  

(i) wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person;  

(ii) wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a road or parking lot generally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State;  

(iii) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph while on public school property in the State; or  

(iv) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph with the deliberate purpose of injuring or killing another person.  

(2) There is a rebuttable presumption that a person who transports a handgun under paragraph (1)(ii) of this subsection transports the handgun knowingly.  

(b)  Exceptions.- This section does not prohibit:  

(1) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person who is on active assignment engaged in law enforcement, is authorized at the time and under the circumstances to wear, carry, or transport the handgun as part of the person's official equipment, and is:  

(i) a law enforcement official of the United States, the State, or a county or city of the State;  

(ii) a member of the armed forces of the United States or of the National Guard on duty or traveling to or from duty;  

(iii) a law enforcement official of another state or subdivision of another state temporarily in this State on official business;  

(iv) a correctional officer or warden of a correctional facility in the State;  

(v) a sheriff or full-time assistant or deputy sheriff of the State; or  

(vi) a temporary or part-time sheriff's deputy;  

(2) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person to whom a permit to wear, carry, or transport the handgun has been issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article;  

(3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;  

(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;  

(5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector's gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;  

(6) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person on real estate that the person owns or leases or where the person resides or within the confines of a business establishment that the person owns or leases;  

(7) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a supervisory employee:  

(i) in the course of employment;  

(ii) within the confines of the business establishment in which the supervisory employee is employed; and  

(iii) when so authorized by the owner or manager of the business establishment; or  

(8) the carrying or transporting of a signal pistol or other visual distress signal approved by the United States Coast Guard in a vessel on the waterways of the State or, if the signal pistol or other visual distress signal is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case, in a vehicle.  

(c)  Penalty.-  

(1) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to the penalties provided in this subsection.  

(2) If the person has not previously been convicted under this section, § 4-204 of this subtitle, or § 4-101 or § 4-102 of this title:  

(i) except as provided in item (ii) of this paragraph, the person is subject to imprisonment for not less than 30 days and not exceeding 3 years or a fine of not less than $250 and not exceeding $2,500 or both; or  

(ii) if the person violates subsection (a)(1)(iii) of this section, the person shall be sentenced to imprisonment for not less than 90 days.  

(3) (i) If the person has previously been convicted once under this section, § 4-204 of this subtitle, or § 4-101 or § 4-102 of this title:  

1. except as provided in item 2 of this subparagraph, the person is subject to imprisonment for not less than 1 year and not exceeding 10 years; or  

2. if the person violates subsection (a)(1)(iii) of this section, the person is subject to imprisonment for not less than 3 years and not exceeding 10 years.  

(ii) The court may not impose less than the applicable minimum sentence provided under subparagraph (i) of this paragraph.  

(4) (i) If the person has previously been convicted more than once under this section, § 4-204 of this subtitle, or § 4-101 or § 4-102 of this title, or of any combination of these crimes:  

1. except as provided in item (2) of this subparagraph, the person is subject to imprisonment for not less than 3 years and not exceeding 10 years; or  

2. A. if the person violates subsection (a)(1)(iii) of this section, the person is subject to imprisonment for not less than 5 years and not exceeding 10 years; or  

B. if the person violates subsection (a)(1)(iv) of this section, the person is subject to imprisonment for not less than 5 years and not exceeding 10 years.  

(ii) The court may not impose less than the applicable minimum sentence provided under subparagraph (i) of this paragraph.  

[An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 36B(b), (c); 2002, ch. 26, § 2; 2003, ch. 17; ch. 21, § 1; 2004, ch. 25; 2005, ch. 482.]  

Link Posted: 10/17/2007 5:23:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Changed] [#1]
Rifles and Shotguns.

WARNING- SBR AND SBS ARE TREATED AS HANDGUNS IN MD LAW, SEE THE ABOVE POST FOR TRANSPORTING RULES.

To transport a Rifle or shotgun in a vehicle see § 10-410. Restrictions on hunting wildlife generally [Amendment subject to abrogation]. It's a little hard to find.

(c)  Hunting from vehicles.-  

(1) A person may not shoot at any species of wildlife from an automobile or other vehicle or, except as provided in § 4-203(b) of the Criminal Law Article and Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article, possess in or on an automobile or other vehicle a loaded handgun or shotgun, or a rifle containing any ammunition in the magazine or chamber.  

Maryland's Preemption of Regulated Weapons
Maryland Criminal Law § 4-209. Regulation of Weapons and Ammunition.
(a) State preemption.- Except as otherwise provided in this section, the State preempts the right of a county,
municipal corporation, or special taxing district to regulate the purchase, sale, taxation, transfer,
manufacture, repair, ownership, possession, and transportation of:
(1) a handgun, rifle, or shotgun; and
(2) ammunition for and components of a handgun, rifle, or shotgun.
(b) Exceptions.-
(1) A county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may regulate the purchase, sale, transfer,
ownership, possession, and transportation of the items listed in subsection (a) of this section:
(i) with respect to minors;
(ii) with respect to law enforcement officials of the subdivision; and
(iii) except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, within 100 yards of or in a park, church, school,
public building, and other place of public assembly.
(2) A county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may not prohibit the teaching of or training in
firearms safety, or other educational or sporting use of the items listed in subsection (a) of this section.
(c) Preexisting local laws.- To the extent that a local law does not create an inconsistency with this section
or expand existing regulatory control, a county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district may exercise
its existing authority to amend any local law that existed on or before December 31, 1984.

§ 5-133. Restrictions on possession of regulated firearms.

(a)  Preemption by State.- This section supersedes any restriction that a local jurisdiction in the State imposes on the possession by a private party of a regulated firearm, and the State preempts the right of any local jurisdiction to regulate the possession of a regulated firearm.

(b)  Possession of regulated firearm prohibited.- A person may not possess a regulated firearm if the person:

(1) has been convicted of a disqualifying crime;

(2) has been convicted of a violation classified as a common law crime and received a term of imprisonment of more than 2 years;

(3) is a fugitive from justice;

(4) is a habitual drunkard;

(5) is addicted to a controlled dangerous substance or is a habitual user;

(6) suffers from a mental disorder as defined in § 10-101(f)(2) of the Health - General Article and has a history of violent behavior against the person or another, unless the person has a physician's certificate that the person is capable of possessing a regulated firearm without undue danger to the person or to another;

(7) has been confined for more than 30 consecutive days to a facility as defined in § 10-101 of the Health - General Article, unless the person has a physician's certificate that the person is capable of possessing a regulated firearm without undue danger to the person or to another;

(8) except as provided in subsection (e) of this section, is a respondent against whom a current non ex parte civil protective order has been entered under § 4-506 of the Family Law Article; or

(9) if under the age of 30 years at the time of possession, has been adjudicated delinquent by a juvenile court for an act that would be a disqualifying crime if committed by an adult.

(c)  Penalty for possession by person convicted of crime of violence.-  

(1) A person may not possess a regulated firearm if the person was previously convicted of:

(i) a crime of violence; or

(ii) a violation of § 5-602, § 5-603, § 5-604, § 5-605, § 5-606, § 5-607, § 5-608, § 5-609, § 5-612, § 5-613, or § 5-614 of the Criminal Law Article.

(2) A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a felony and on conviction is subject to imprisonment for not less than 5 years, no part of which may be suspended.

(3) A person sentenced under paragraph (1) of this subsection may not be eligible for parole.

(4) Each violation of this subsection is a separate crime.

(d)  Possession by person under age of 21 years prohibited; exceptions.-  

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person who is under the age of 21 years may not possess a regulated firearm or ammunition solely designed for a regulated firearm.

(2) Unless a person is otherwise prohibited from possessing a regulated firearm, this subsection does not apply to:

(i) the temporary transfer or possession of a regulated firearm or ammunition solely designed for a regulated firearm if the person is:

1. under the supervision of another who is at least 21 years old and who is not prohibited by State or federal law from possessing a firearm; and

2. acting with the permission of the parent or legal guardian of the transferee or person in possession;

(ii) the transfer by inheritance of title, and not of possession, of a regulated firearm;

(iii) a member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard while performing official duties;

(iv) the temporary transfer or possession of a regulated firearm or ammunition solely designed for a regulated firearm if the person is:

1. participating in marksmanship training of a recognized organization; and

2. under the supervision of a qualified instructor;

(v) a person who is required to possess a regulated firearm for employment and who holds a permit under Subtitle 3 of this title; or

(vi) the possession of a firearm or ammunition for self-defense or the defense of others against a trespasser into the residence of the person in possession or into a residence in which the person in possession is an invited guest.

(e)  Exception if carrying civil protective order.- This section does not apply to a respondent transporting a regulated firearm if the respondent is carrying a civil protective order requiring the surrender of the regulated firearm and:

(1) the regulated firearm is unloaded;

(2) the respondent has notified the law enforcement unit, barracks, or station that the regulated firearm is being transported in accordance with the civil protective order; and

(3) the respondent transports the regulated firearm directly to the law enforcement unit, barracks, or station.  

[An. Code 1957, art. 27, §§ 445(a), (d), (e), 449(e); 2003, ch. 5, § 2; ch. 17; 2010, ch. 712.]  

Link Posted: 10/18/2007 10:38:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gen1runner] [#2]
God I hate MD

Informative post nonetheless
Link Posted: 10/18/2007 2:11:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CBR900] [#3]

Originally Posted By Andras:
Rifles and Shotguns.
To transport a Rifle or shotgun in a vehicle see § 10-410. Restrictions on hunting wildlife generally [Amendment subject to abrogation]. It's a little hard to find.

(c)  Hunting from vehicles.-  

(1) A person may not shoot at any species of wildlife from an automobile or other vehicle or, except as provided in § 4-203(b) of the Criminal Law Article and Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article, possess in or on an automobile or other vehicle a loaded handgun or shotgun, or a rifle containing any ammunition in the magazine or chamber.  

Riiiiiiiiight - "hunting from vehicles" -- i.e., that is why you can't load your Glock  magazines in your house before driving to the indoor pistol range to practice.  Glad that's cleared up.

(seriously, thanks Andras & I hope your posts are stickied).
Link Posted: 10/30/2007 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The easy solution is just applying to the MSP for collector status. Then all you are allowed to transport it to any residence of private property.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#5]
that is what I did one year ago ...

the best thing i ever did ...
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 10:05:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Changed] [#6]
The following list are weapons that are flat banned in the State of MD if it wasn't registered by 8/1/94 with the MDSP.

§ 4-301. "Assault pistol" defined.

In this subtitle, "assault pistol" means any of the following firearms or a copy regardless of the producer or manufacturer:

(1) AA Arms AP-9 semiautomatic pistol;

(2) Bushmaster semiautomatic pistol;  (see note below)

(3) Claridge HI-TEC semiautomatic pistol;

(4) D Max Industries semiautomatic pistol;

(5) Encom MK-IV, MP-9, or MP-45 semiautomatic pistol;

(6) Heckler and Koch semiautomatic SP-89 pistol;

(7) Holmes MP-83 semiautomatic pistol;

(8) Ingram MAC 10/11 semiautomatic pistol and variations including the Partisan Avenger and the SWD Cobray;

(9) Intratec TEC-9/DC-9 semiautomatic pistol in any centerfire variation;

(10) P.A.W.S. type semiautomatic pistol;

(11) Skorpion semiautomatic pistol;

(12) Spectre double action semiautomatic pistol (Sile, F.I.E., Mitchell);

(13) UZI semiautomatic pistol;

(14) Weaver Arms semiautomatic Nighthawk pistol; or

(15) Wilkinson semiautomatic "Linda" pistol.  

[An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 36H-1; 2002, ch. 26, § 2.]

§ 4-302. Scope of subtitle.

This subtitle does not apply to:

(1) if acting within the scope of official business, personnel of the United States government or a unit of that government, members of the armed forces of the United States or of the National Guard, or law enforcement personnel of the State or a local unit in the State;

(2) a firearm modified to render it permanently inoperative;

(3) purchases, sales, and transport to or by a licensed firearms dealer or manufacturer who is:

(i) providing or servicing an assault pistol or detachable magazine for a law enforcement unit or for personnel exempted under item (1) of this section; or

(ii) acting to sell or transfer an assault pistol or detachable magazine to a licensed firearm dealer in another state;

(4) organizations that are required or authorized by federal law governing their specific business or activity to maintain assault pistols and applicable ammunition and detachable magazines;

(5) the receipt of an assault pistol or detachable magazine by inheritance if the decedent lawfully possessed the assault pistol; or

(6) the receipt of an assault pistol or detachable magazine by a personal representative of an estate for purposes of exercising the powers and duties of a personal representative of an estate.  

[An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 36H-2; 2002, ch. 26, § 2.]

§ 4-303. Assault pistols - Prohibited.

(a)  In general.- Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:

(1) transport an assault pistol into the State; or

(2) possess, sell, offer to sell, transfer, purchase, or receive an assault pistol.

(b)  Exception.- A person who lawfully possessed an assault pistol before June 1, 1994, and who registered the assault pistol with the Secretary of State Police before August 1, 1994, may:

(1) continue to possess the assault pistol; or

(2) while carrying a court order requiring the surrender of the assault pistol, transport the assault pistol directly to the law enforcement unit, barracks, or station if the person has notified the law enforcement unit, barracks, or station that the person is transporting the assault pistol in accordance with a court order and the assault pistol is unloaded.  

[An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 36H-3; 2002, ch. 26, § 2; 2010, ch. 712.]

(Note: The Bushmaster Semi-automatic Pistol means the old ARM Pistol, not an AR15 pistol, which is on the roster)

§ 4-305. Detachable magazines - Prohibited.

(a)  Scope of section.- This section does not apply to a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine.  

(b)  Prohibited.- A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.  

ETA-it's 10 rounds after Oct 1 2013.
Link Posted: 12/20/2007 11:45:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm gonna print this out and make copies to post on lamp posts in the city. I think if the criminals knew what the laws were we may be able to reduce crime.
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 11:24:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Changed] [#8]
According to DNR Trooper Griggs, whom I talked to at Myrtle Grove this past weekend, loaded detachable magazines that are not in the weapon are legal to transport under the 10-410 hunting regs.
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 2:54:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Wait a minute, when I travel through MD and keep my .45 in the car, unloaded and locked in the trunk in it's case, I am violating this?

Link Posted: 3/15/2008 11:11:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Changed] [#10]
What are you doing in MD? Are you passing through from VA to another state?
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 9:36:52 PM EDT
[#11]
in all honesty say I miss the last exit in WV and HAVE to continue into maryland to get turned around (it's happened before) and im packing my ccw and get pulled over I can be charged?? with no less than 30 days?

WTF I go through the steps to follow the laws and traffic is heavy automatically im a felon.

thats why I don't come to that state to spend my money in the first place, I would like to think that your officers would at least "over look" this incident.

im going to start a post in MD HTF to see if I can get a better clarification.

for once im for federal law trumping state right and enacting a federal ccw.

Link Posted: 6/25/2008 3:21:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Are loaded stripper clips considered "loaded detachable magazines" ?  
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 10:31:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Changed] [#13]
Not only are loaded stripper clips not magazines, loaded magazines are legal to transport if they are not in the weapon, according to a DNR trooper I asked.
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#14]
A poster on Maryland Shooters asked the State's Attorney General Office if transporting loaded magazines is legal in MD. In short, it is provided the magazines are separated from the weapon. See below for the emails, which I have his permission to post.

Sent: Monday, August 04, 2008 1:46 PM
To: '****'
Subject: RE: Maryland Law Regarding Transporting Firearms

Dear Mr. ****,

I have been asked to respond to your email message.  

Question 1: According to the laws of Maryland, can I legally transport a
loaded magazine(s), separate from a firearm, in my vehicle when traveling
to/from locations/activities listed in Article §4-203?

I can find no prohibition in Maryland law against transporting a loaded
magazine.

Question 2: According to the laws of Maryland, can I legally transport my
unloaded firearm that is carried in an enclosed case or enclosed holster
from my legal place of residence in Maryland, to another State (assuming
that I may legally possess that firearm in the State to which I am
traveling)?

Maryland law allows you to transport an unloaded handgun (in an enclosed
case or holster) for various purposes set forth in CR 4-203(B)(3) and (4).
The restrictions set forth in 4-203 apply while a citizen is traveling in
Maryland even if the ultimate destination is outside of Maryland.

Mark H. Bowen
Assistant Attorney General
Department of State Police

(Below is my original email to [email protected])

Mr. Attorney General,

As a long-term citizen of the State of Maryland, I am seeking official
guidance regarding the lawful transportation of firearms within the State of
Maryland.

My first question deals with transporting loaded magazines within the State.
According to what I have read in the Maryland code, I can legally transport
a firearm that "is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or enclosed
holster." I completely understand that the firearm is unloaded when there is
no round in the chamber and no magazine loaded with ammunition inserted into
the magazine well. However, I have "heard" time and again that the State of
Maryland regards a loaded magazine (separate from the firearm) constitutes a
loaded weapon. I cannot find any mention of this within the Maryland
statutes that would make carrying loaded magazines in a vehicle (again,
separate from the firearm) a crime in the State.

Question 1: According to the laws of Maryland, can I legally transport a
loaded magazine(s), separate from a firearm, in my vehicle when traveling
to/from locations/activities listed in Article §4-203?

My second question deals with transporting a firearm to a location/activity
not specifically mentioned in the Maryland code. The portion of the Maryland
statute that I have included below addresses when a person may transport a
firearm within the State of Maryland. However, it does not specifically make
any mention about transporting a firearm between the State of Maryland and
another State (i.e. from my home in Maryland to a relatives home in
Virginia). Is this covered under Federal Law 18 USC 926A - Interstate
Transportation of Firearms:
(Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of
a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not
otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or
receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful
purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm
to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if,
during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm
nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly
accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle:
Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from
the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a
locked container other than the glove compartment or console.)

Article - Criminal Law - §4-203
(from http://mlis.state.md.us/asp/web_statutes.asp?gcr&4-203)
(b)   This section does not prohibit:
(3)   the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a
vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of
legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between
bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and
place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned
substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an
enclosed case or an enclosed holster;
(4)   the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of
a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target
shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a
Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class,
trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is
engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun
is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

Question 2: According to the laws of Maryland, can I legally transport my
unloaded firearm that is carried in an enclosed case or enclosed holster
from my legal place of residence in Maryland, to another State (assuming
that I may legally possess that firearm in the State to which I am
traveling)?

If I need to address these questions to another office or agency, please let
me know. I appreciate your time and assistance, and I thank you for your
service to our fine State of Maryland.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#15]

A poster on Maryland Shooters asked the State's Attorney General Office if transporting loaded magazines is legal in MD. In short, it is provided the magazines are separated from the weapon. See below for the emails, which I have his permission to post.

That is good to know. I've done it that way anyway when going to the range because I didn't see the need to unload all my magazines that are loaded for home use and then load them again at the range. I just took my small pistol safe along and put the magazines in that while my handguns were in the pouches of my iSHOT range bag.

I would imagine it wouldn't be a big deal unless you were found to have drugs. Then they would probably declare in that case that the gun was loaded. It makes a drug arrest sound better to the public when you also have a "loaded" handgun. It probably becomes a sentencing multiplier too.

As a bone fide collector, I may have to start taking part of my handgun collection to my family's house with the magazine loaded but separate from the handgun.

I can just see the MSP picking on regular people who may want to have some piece of mind rather than arresting the real criminals.

And to all of you who get caught, perhaps I will be on your jury. I am one of the few that understand that the MD state constitution declares that the laws are on trial, not just the defendants. I'll acquit any people caught carrying without a permit, even the bad guys. That must be why you always hear about cases of assault and attempted murder, but they never throw in the charge for carrying without a permit; perhaps because it is only a misdemeanor or perhaps because people would acquit the defendant on that charge and the cops would look bad.

Perhaps during the possible upcoming depression, we will all carry handguns out of necessity and the police will be too scared to cross the regular citizens.
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I have to travel to Ft. Meade for an 11-week school next month. As I understand things so far, I cannot have my Glock 19, my Spyderco Endura, my Fox Labs 5.3 or even a sharp stick for self defense.

Is there anything I may carry legally for self defense?

Incidentally, I suggest that you all put this question to your elected "representatives" up there:

Why is it that criminals may have anything and everything they want in the way of guns, knives and other lethal devices, but law abiding citizens are increasingly prohibited from having even toy guns?
Link Posted: 1/17/2009 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't conceal the pepper spray or the knife and you'll be ok.

§ 4-101. Dangerous weapons.

(a)  Definitions.-  

(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.

(2) "Nunchaku" means a device constructed of two pieces of any substance, including wood, metal, or plastic, connected by any chain, rope, leather, or other flexible material not exceeding 24 inches in length.

(3) (i) "Pepper mace" means an aerosol propelled combination of highly disabling irritant pepper-based products.

(ii) "Pepper mace" is also known as oleoresin capsicum (o.c.) spray.

(4) "Star knife" means a device used as a throwing weapon, consisting of several sharp or pointed blades arrayed as radially disposed arms about a central disk.

(5) (i) "Weapon" includes a dirk knife, bowie knife, switchblade knife, star knife, sandclub, metal knuckles, razor, and nunchaku.

(ii) "Weapon" does not include:

1. a handgun; or

2. a penknife without a switchblade.

(b)  Exceptions for certain individuals.- This section does not prohibit the following individuals from carrying a weapon:

(1) an officer of the State, or of any county or municipal corporation of the State, who is entitled or required to carry the weapon as part of the officer's official equipment, or by any conservator of the peace, who is entitled or required to carry the weapon as part of the conservator's official equipment, or by any officer or conservator of the peace of another state who is temporarily in this State;

(2) a special agent of a railroad;

(3) a holder of a permit to carry a handgun issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article; or

(4) an individual who carries the weapon as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger, subject to the right of the court in an action arising under this section to judge the reasonableness of the carrying of the weapon, and the proper occasion for carrying it, under the evidence in the case.

(c)  Prohibited.-  

(1) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind concealed on or about the person.

(2) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon, chemical mace, pepper mace, or a tear gas device openly with the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner.
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm confused.

I can possess the knife and pepper spray, but not on my person at any time. How am I supposed to get access to them if I need them? Are they supposed to be locked in a sealed container or something? I am befuddled by the laws of Maryland.

What if I need to open something like packaging material? Fingernails suck ass at that kind of thing, which is why I have evolved into a tool user and carry a knife. I promise not to go all stabby after I get done opening my packages.

I have to ask: what good have all these crazy, draconian laws done to prevent or deter criminals? I hear that Baltimore is a pretty violent place,  despite the "best intentions" of the lawmakers of Maryland, so evidently these laws ain't quite cutting the mustard.

Look, I hate to sound so snide, but I live in a state where you can pretty much carry anything you get ready to as long as you don't screw up. It's hard to swallow the idea that I "can't be trusted", or that disarming myself is going to make me safer.

I don't see how you guys up there stand it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 11:26:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I see "star knife" listed in your list of prohibited weapons. How many grisly murders have resulted from the use of those silly things?

Ok, seriously; what kind of knife is considered a "penknife without switchblade"?  Is that like a regular pocket knife? Does a Spyderco Endura fall under the category of "penknife without switchblade"?

Who writes this shit?
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By doubleclaw:
I'm confused.

I can possess the knife and pepper spray, but not on my person at any time. How am I supposed to get access to them if I need them? Are they supposed to be locked in a sealed container or something? I am befuddled by the laws of Maryland.

(c) Prohibited.-

(1) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind concealed on or about the person.

(2) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon, chemical mace, pepper mace, or a tear gas device openly with the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner.

RIF
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 11:43:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wayne1one] [#21]
I'm confused.

(c) Prohibited.-

RIF

The key part of this is  "in an unlawful manner"
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 9:08:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By wayne1one:
I'm confused.

(c) Prohibited.-

RIF

The key part of this is  "in an unlawful manner"

Does Maryland consider it "concealed" if your knife is clipped to your pocket, al la New York City? Are there any limits on blade length, serrations, locking folders, etc.?

Link Posted: 2/17/2009 2:03:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Changed] [#23]
IANAL, but I have not found anything on blade length or serrations, also I think that folding blades are exempt from the dangerous weapons statute. Only switchblades and fixed blades are mentioned (ignoring starknives/shuriken).
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 5:15:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CATMdude] [#24]
I have to travel to Ft. Meade for an 11-week school next month. As I understand things so far, I cannot have my Glock 19, my Spyderco Endura, my Fox Labs 5.3 or even a sharp stick for self defense.

Is there anything I may carry legally for self defense?

Incidentally, I suggest that you all put this question to your elected "representatives" up there:

Why is it that criminals may have anything and everything they want in the way of guns, knives and other lethal devices, but law abiding citizens are increasingly prohibited from having even toy guns?

Per the commissioner's manual/charging language on CR 4-101(http://www.courts.state.md.us/district/charginglanguage.pdf) pg95

"NOTE: Carrying or wearing chemical mace, pepper mace, or a tear gas device concealed is not made illegal by this section if the defendant is an adult. Carrying such a device openly with intent to injure is charged under CR 4-101. The appropriate choices are provided in the wording below.

NOTE: The possession of pepper mace by a juvenile is a criminal charge under CR 4-101, but does not carry automatic adult jurisdiction."

Though if the officer is not familiar with this note, you may still get at least taken to jail. Then hopefully the District Court Commissioner will catch the error and then you may be released for lack of probable cause. That is if it only concealed. If you get in some barroom fight and get caught with it, you'll probably have to answer to the man. But I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 4/6/2009 3:28:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: redduck21502] [#25]
I see "star knife" listed in your list of prohibited weapons. How many grisly murders have resulted from the use of those silly things?

NONE, thank God this law has prevented murders and violent crime via the use of a star knife.

Link Posted: 4/6/2009 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#26]
And let me tell you, the martial arts thugs on my block are upset over the whole Nunchaku prohibition to.
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#27]

(a)  Scope of section.- This section does not apply to a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine.  

(b)  Prohibited.- A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.  

Just a quick note. The 20 round magazine capacity limit pertains to manufacture, sale, purchase, transfer, etc. within the state. Note that ownership, possession, use, and transport are not prohibited by any means. Meaning that it is perfectly legal to go out of state to get 30 round (or larger) magazines and bring them back into the state for your personal use.
Personally I'd recommend getting what you can, while you can.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#28]
According to DNR Trooper Griggs, whom I talked to at Myrtle Grove this past weekend, loaded detachable magazines that are not in the weapon are legal to transport under the 10-410 hunting regs.

I was talking to a few guys from HTF who said MSP consider a magazine the same as a gun, and I said
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Maryland_Shooter:

I was talking to a few guys from HTF who said MSP consider a magazine the same as a gun, and I said

I think individual officers have their own interpretation of the law. The only important interpretation is a literal interpretation that can be argued in court. If I have loaded magazine (not guns), I usually throw them in a box with a lock when going to the range just in case. I figure it makes it look like my intent was not to transport a loaded handgun. I should actually unload the magazines, though. I have about 500 rounds or Speer Lawman TMJ for the range, but never use it when I shoot because I just shoot what is in the magazines. That tends to be decent self defense ammo. Seems like a waste of good ammo when I have the other stuff laying around.
Link Posted: 2/4/2010 2:47:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Had an interesting case regarding 4-203 pop up on the MDShooters forum so I thought I'd repost it here.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4183/is_20051018/ai_n15708050/

U.S. District Court rules gun law inapplicable to trucker
Daily Record, The (Baltimore), Oct 18, 2005 by Daniel Ostrovsky

A man who allegedly tried to enter Andrews Air Force Base in March with two firearms and a machete did not violate the state's handgun statute - because the tractor-trailer he was driving was not traveling on a public highway, the U.S. District Court in Greenbelt has held.

Addressing a novel issue of Maryland law, U.S. District Judge Charles B. Day granted Edwin L. Robson's motion for judgment of acquittal on the handgun violations. But the government will still have a chance to prove Robson guilty of carrying a dangerous, concealed weapon - the machete - when his trial reconvenes Oct. 3, he decided.

From a review of Maryland law, it is clear that in order to be considered 'used by the public' that open access to all members of the public is necessary, wrote Day, explaining that the Base Commander exercises absolute authority to bar the public from coming onto the base at any time. Thus, under Maryland law, AAFB is private property.

More details at link
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Ok... Sorry if this has been asked before, but I am traveling to see my daughter tomorrow in Portsmouth VA.  Leaving from PA.  I have a carry permit for PA and know I can travel with it through WVA and VA but am still unclear about MD.  I found on our attorney general site that it seems I can, but I can't find it anywhere else and need to be sure.  Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 10:16:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Dimples412:
Ok... Sorry if this has been asked before, but I am traveling to see my daughter tomorrow in Portsmouth VA.  Leaving from PA.  I have a carry permit for PA and know I can travel with it through WVA and VA but am still unclear about MD.  I found on our attorney general site that it seems I can, but I can't find it anywhere else and need to be sure.  Any help would be appreciated.

You can travel with it through MD, but you must go straight through with no stopping in MD. You are also bound by Federal transportation laws. Plus, your permit is no good in this state, so it must be unloaded and carried in a case or an enclosed holster (thumbreak?)

So make sure you have plenty of gas, you are not hungry, and you used the restroom before or after MD. If you get stuck in a snow drift and stop, hopefully you don't get arrested with your handgun. We don't take kindly to gun traffickers in this state, so just move on through and take your guns to the next state.

Link Posted: 2/11/2010 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By redduck21502:

You can travel with it through MD, but you must go straight through with no stopping in MD. You are also bound by Federal transportation laws. Plus, your permit is no good in this state, so it must be unloaded and carried in a case or an enclosed holster (thumbreak?)

So make sure you have plenty of gas, you are not hungry, and you used the restroom before or after MD. If you get stuck in a snow drift and stop, hopefully you don't get arrested with your handgun. We don't take kindly to gun traffickers in this state, so just move on through and take your guns to the next state.

Well thank you ever so much.  We will abide...I really think they should just nationalize this whole thing.  What's the good of carrying a gun that you can't use?  If one state finds me competent to carry why don't they all?  Oh well!!!  Thanks again and I hope we see no snow either!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 6:25:11 AM EDT
[#34]

Well thank you ever so much.  We will abide...I really think they should just nationalize this whole thing.  What's the good of carrying a gun that you can't use?  If one state finds me competent to carry why don't they all?  Oh well!!!  Thanks again and I hope we see no snow either!!

We have a bill this year trying to rectify the reciprocity with neighboring states. I think it will be awhile before we get there, but some legislators are trying.

I was going to bed when I replied, but I was going to suggest you read up on the federal peaceable journey laws to determine the proper transportation of a handgun through a state. I am thinking that you are going from one state to another, so it would be covered by interstate travel laws. You should have the ammo separate from the firearm and all that stuff. The most important thing is to not stop with a handgun in MD.

Link Posted: 2/12/2010 7:30:23 AM EDT
[#35]

We have a bill this year trying to rectify the reciprocity with neighboring states. I think it will be awhile before we get there, but some legislators are trying.

I was going to bed when I replied, but I was going to suggest you read up on the federal peaceable journey laws to determine the proper transportation of a handgun through a state. I am thinking that you are going from one state to another, so it would be covered by interstate travel laws. You should have the ammo separate from the firearm and all that stuff. The most important thing is to not stop with a handgun in MD.

What law does this info come from?

Link Posted: 2/12/2010 7:39:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By shrikefan:

MD Law declares that you can only transport a handgun to the range, gunsmith, gun store, and some other places and back to your residence with no stops along the way. I'll check MD SHooters to see if i can find it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 7:45:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Upon further review, MD Law is not necessary in his case, he is not originating his trip in MD nor ending it in MD. Only Federal law needs to be followed in this case. Federal law permits breaks when traveling THROUGH the state. Only if he started in MD or was traveling from PA to MD would he have to go to one of the permitted destinations of a gun range, etc. I personally would not stop in MD because we are fool of crap anyway. Don't spend any money in MD if possible during a trip through MD. If going through PG county, it would be possible to be hassled by cops, I hear they are bad for that. I have read that they will follow people home from the range and if they stop somewhere, they get busted. Just wave on the way through MD and get on your way to the free states that neighbor us.
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#38]

MD Law declares that you can only transport a handgun to the range, gunsmith, gun store, and some other places and back to your residence with no stops along the way. I'll check MD SHooters to see if i can find it.

FWIW, I know of multiple gun clubs who stop by a restaurant together after their weekly Bullseye shoot.  Get a bite to eat, talk about the match, do some general BSing and then go home.

All those old farts with .22 pistols in their trunks?  Criminals.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Upon further review, MD Law is not necessary in his case, he is not originating his trip in MD nor ending it in MD. Only Federal law needs to be followed in this case. Federal law permits breaks when traveling THROUGH the state. Only if he started in MD or was traveling from PA to MD would he have to go to one of the permitted destinations of a gun range, etc. I personally would not stop in MD because we are fool of crap anyway. Don't spend any money in MD if possible during a trip through MD. If going through PG county, it would be possible to be hassled by cops, I hear they are bad for that. I have read that they will follow people home from the range and if they stop somewhere, they get busted. Just wave on the way through MD and get on your way to the free states that neighbor us.

What if you are traveling from Oakland to OC? No gas stops? Then what?

Link Posted: 2/19/2010 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Yep, you do not stop since it originates in MD and ends in MD.You may be able to swing out to another state for gas. Get gas in DE I suppose.
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Yep, you do not stop since it originates in MD and ends in MD.You may be able to swing out to another state for gas. Get gas in DE I suppose.

Rediculous!!

"Notwithstanding any other..." As long as it is legal on both ends of the trip then you are OK.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:44:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LoneCenturion] [#42]
[

"Notwithstanding any other..." As long as it is legal on both ends of the trip then you are OK."

Does this apply for airlines as well?

Link Posted: 7/26/2010 9:20:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Are you asking about MD law or Federal law? If Federal, you might want to ask in the Legal section under the General Forums.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#44]

So does this mean the 25 round mags I bought while living in NC are ok long as they stay in my possession?
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 11:20:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Hey I'm sorry I just need clarification. So if I'm a VA resident with 30's, I can drive though MD to PA without having to worry about breaking any laws? I won't even be stopping everything will be seperate and locked. Just wanted to make sure I got this right
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 5:17:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thedoctors308] [#47]
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 10:10:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By pfortu87:
Hey I'm sorry I just need clarification. So if I'm a VA resident with 30's, I can drive though MD to PA without having to worry about breaking any laws? I won't even be stopping everything will be seperate and locked. Just wanted to make sure I got this right

Not to mention that you don't have to 'separate and lock' the firearms anyway.
If it's just longarm(s) you're fine throwing it(them) in the backseat (though the trunk would be recommended)
If you are transporting handguns for the purpose of a shooting activity (in PA) you are also fine without FOPA, though handguns have to be holstered or cased.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm flying out of BWI tomorrow enroute to MI, where my VA CCW is recognized.  When I declare my UNLOADED, DISASSEMBLED, IN A SEPARATE, LOCKED CASE pistol at the counter is a MD State Trooper going to appear out of nowhere and arrest me?
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 5:52:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thedoctors308] [#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top