Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2007 10:16:37 AM EDT
Hey all, I’m returning to Maryland this weekend after a year-long absence. Some college friends of mine are getting married.

Anyway, since I can’t carry a firearm in Maryland, I was wondering if I could legally carry a concealed collapsible baton without a license.

Looking at the Annotated Criminal Code of Maryland Title 4, Subtitle 1:
"Weapon" includes a dirk knife, bowie knife, switchblade knife, star knife, sandclub, metal knuckles, razor, and nunchaku.

Well, an ASP Baton is none of those. So does that mean I’m in the clear, or what?

Any response would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#1]
You can carry anything you want as long as you don't get caught.
Many honest MD citizens are carrying weapons illegally, it's difficult to actually get caught as long as you are a law abiding citizen. If you actually need to draw the weapon and use it to protect yourself - you can deal with it then, but at least you are alive.

Best thing to do is call the Maryland state police
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Its not considered a concealed weapon by the state but many counties and cities have local ordinances making it illegal to carry.  Also I don't think its a good idea to illegally carry or wear a handgun, many assistant state's attornies in different counties are imposing a minimum of 3 years if found guilty.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Here in Md. some cops will call it a destructive device and will charge you with
ccw. I saw it happen in O.C.  Guy was carring an asp.
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 5:34:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Here in Md. some cops will call it a destructive device and will charge you with

Wow, good luck getting that to stick.  Seems like a show of power more than anything.  The guy probably got probation.
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

It is in no way a destruction device, but it is considered a martial arts weapon in O.C. and they do have a local ordinance making them illegal and you can be arrested for carrying on there.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 2:30:11 AM EDT
[#6]
He got a fine and probation and that was the charge.

I'm not saying it was right, that is just how it went down.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Its not considered a concealed weapon by the state but many counties and cities have local ordinances making it illegal to carry.  Also I don't think its a good idea to illegally carry or wear a handgun, many assistant state's attornies in different counties are imposing a minimum of 3 years if found guilty.  

Where did you hear that? The first offense for illegal CCW in MD is a misdemeanor and a slap on the wrist. This is of course only if you did not commit some other crime.
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where did you hear that? The first offense for illegal CCW in MD is a misdemeanor and a slap on the wrist. This is of course only if you did not commit some other crime.

I have seen it in court.  They have the "Exile, hard time for gun crime" in some counties.  You are correct and it is a misdemeanor but it carries a max of 5 years if I remember correcty.  But I have also seen only fines and probation for the offense.  Just want to let you guys know to be carefull, no need to get convicted of that.  I think if you are convicited you cannot possesess ANY firearms anymore.  If you commit other crimes at the same time there are addition charges.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 5:34:12 AM EDT
[#9]
carry some fox labs pepper spray and a good blade instead
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the advice guys. I thought long and hard and realized that I'd be better off carrying my Surefire and a pocket knife.

Logic being that I'm not 100% confident in my ability to deploy the weapon and use it without it getting taken away and used against me. Considering how the majority of confrontations are exteremely close quarters and eventually end up on the ground, I believe it to be a fair assessment. The knife on the other hand would be extremely difficult to take away as the only exposed part of it is the blade, and trying to pull a knife out of someone's hand via the blade is a one-way ticket to hurty town.

Plus carrying a "tool" and using it as an improvised weapon would look much better in court than a dude carrying a 26" collapsible baton and justifying it as self defense.

I do find it interesting/annoying that each county/city has their own laws regarding what is considered a weapon in addition to the state laws. It's so infuriating that merely entering another part of the state can make you a criminal. ARG! There really needs to be some sort of preemtion law to combat that crap.

Anyway, thanks again for the food for thought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top