Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2017 3:26:43 PM EDT
LOL.

Sign says 20-50% off.  Couldn't find anything more than 25%.  Ammo and guns are 10%.

Close out prices are still higher than anywhere else.

They are going to become "Gander Mountain Outdoors" when they re-open.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Their problem is...the clunky ear protection I've used for the last 20+years finally fell apart, and I started researching the latest electronic ear pro.  A few minutes later I bought a pair of MSA Sordins from Amazon.  I did all of this on the bus home from work.  

I might take the time to walk into a brick and mortar store but I need a reason to do that, and if the store has a rep for gouging it's just not happening.  Flawed business model.  It's why Cabelas sells stripped lowers now for not terrible prices.  They have to figure out how to keep people coming in the door.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:41:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Amazon has pretty much killed the brick and mortar stores.  Amazon claims 70% of the households making over $112K/year have Prime memberships.  It's going to get even bloodier in the next few years.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Even though you can "firearms" online, you still have to go through a FFL Holder.  And, a lot of people are novice firearms owners or potential owners
they want hands on when they buy.

And, as long as people want to trade guns etc or sell guns etc the local places will be there.
Amazon sure has an impact on the non-firearm portion of shooting sports product lines.

Just look at the impact to J. C. Pennys, Sears, Kmart, etc as people do their shopping online.

Gander Mgmt or business model fails to realize if you lowered the prices you would move more product.

Now, look at the state of the Shooting Sports industry as a whole.

Federal laying off more people.

Unless there is a scare for some reason AR's at the entry level will be quite attractively priced.
And, without pressure to "buy now" people people will custom order stuff.
It would be near in possible for any brick and motar store to stock every possible configuration.
Not cost effective at all.  As shooting buddy pointed out it would nice to have LGS that had
"Subway" style AR building center.  Start with stripped lower and then walk down the aisle.
Buttstock and Pistol Grip, Fire Control Options, Other lower and upper parts.  Barrels and flash suppressors. Handguards.
Iron Sights.  Optics and mounts. At the end....get a bill pay for it and come back in a day for assembled gun be done with it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:56:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm sure there's many shops around that will build you a Subway AR.  It will take more than a day though, as they will have to order everything.  There's just too many different products available to make it feasible to stock anything more than a couple different of the most popular configurations.  Especially when many AR owners are almost like teenagers...What's in style changes almost daily.

Around me in my rural area, the number of gun shops has doubled over the last 5 years.  That's way too many for this low density population area to support.  I expect that number to go back to half that again in the following 5.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top