Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2017 3:20:17 AM EDT
From an email, bolding mine.

Two critical pieces of pro-gun rights legislation are coming up for a hearing in the House Public Safety and Security Policy and Finance Committee on Wednesday, March 8th at 10:15am:
HF188:  Constitutional Carry (also known as Permitless Carry)
HF238:  Defense of Person and Dwelling Act (also known in other states as "Stand your Ground")
These are the two centerpieces of our 2017 legislative agenda --- and this year we have the best chance of passing them through the legislature because of the work that supporters like you did during the 2016 elections - by putting a pro-Second Amendment legislature in place in both house of the Minnesota legislature.

We've worked closely with the National Rifle Association (NRA) and GOCRA President Joseph Olson to bring this legislation forward.

We need your help to ensure that these bills move forward in the legislature this year.
Join us on Wednesday, March 8th:  If you can be at the hearing, please join us!  The hearing will be in the State Office Building (100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Drive) in Room 10.  The hearing begins at 10:15am.  We recommend arriving early.  You may carry in the State Capitol Complex if you have a Minnesota Permit to Carry - prior notification is not required. We recommend carrying concealed.

Call your State Representative:  Let them know you support HF188 and HF238 and want to see them move forward in 2017.

E-Mail your State Representative:  Follow-up with a brief e-mail to your State Representative reiterating your support for HF188 and HF238.

E-Mail the Committee:  E-Mail the members of the House Public Safety and Security Policy and Finance Committee.  You can find a roster of members at this link.

Please join the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus if you haven't already:  It's our members and their financial support that enable us to move legislation like this forward. Join us today!
It's important that we have a good crowd on hand.  If you can be there that morning, please come down!

We've excited about next week - and hope we can see you there.

Yours in Liberty,
Bryan Strawser
Chair
Sent by Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus, PO Box 131718, Saint Paul, MN 55113-0015, a Minnesota nonprofit & IRS 501(c)(4) organization.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Is anyone planning on attending?
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#2]
So if you guys get constitutional carry does that mean that you will start honoring your neighbors permits?
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 1:48:03 AM EDT
[#3]
If we get CC you won't need a permit in MN. This will make our many failed attempts at reciprocity less of an issue.

I hope a lot of you can make it. We need the numbers to convince the Senate to put these bills in the omnibus. We will likely have the Senate hearing a week or two after this one, but the turnout here will affect the outcome in the Senate too.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 6:20:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Long drive for me, but I'll try to be there.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:39:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If we get CC you won't need a permit in MN. This will make our many failed attempts at reciprocity less of an issue.
View Quote

I don't see how that helps matters.

Reciprocity with other states that require background checks and min training will still not recognize our rights.

Not arguing that CC is "bad", but, its not a fix for the problem you state. (unless I am just not picking up on your point... my bad)
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:23:22 AM EDT
[#6]
We will still offer permits for reciprocity reasons. If someone comes to our state they won't need a permit, so if we never recognized their permit it won't matter to them when they visit.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I really hope HF238 doesn't die by association with HF188.
While I think CC wouldn't be a bad thing, MN really needs the update that HF238 provides.
If I were a legislator I'd be willing to sacrifice HF188 to get HF238 passed and signed.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:34:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got the day off. I'm going.

Is there any concern that attending this meeting could place one in the middle of an ANTIFA/BLM type protest? Seems like it oughta be a pretty uneventful thing but it is St Paul after all and it's a publicly announced hearing with regards to 2A rights. Seems to me there's potential.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 4:20:38 AM EDT
[#10]
The hearing is tomorrow (Wednesday). I will be there around 8:00 am. We have a surprise guest speaker, John Lott. It should be pretty interesting as far as hearings go, we think our opponents may be planning some shenanigans.

http://www.startribune.com/stand-your-ground-laws-the-facts-don-t-support-fears-of-armed-citizens/415622074/  written by Lott himself.

The live feed is at https://events.qwikcast.tv/QwikCast/QwikCastEventById?eventKey=56ec96c7-941e-4bbb-a2c4-fd790b514e1f&eventPageId=1366

The NAACP might be planning some shenanigans in regard to self-defense law reform. I am bringing a digital recorder if they try anything they will be arrested.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:17:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Agreed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
<strong>Quoted:</strong>
I really hope HF238 doesn't die by association with HF188.
While I think CC wouldn't be a bad thing, MN really needs the update that HF238 provides.
If I were a legislator I'd be willing to sacrifice HF188 to get HF238 passed and signed.

Agreed.

Thirded.  It's insane we don't have stand your ground on the books yet.  Constitutional carry is a "nice to have" compared to that.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Here in the middle of the room.  

Protect MN is here already.....
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Shit! I got a call from my kids school that I have to pick up my daughter because she's sick. Dammit! I'm not gonna make it, gentleman. Represent us well! I'll try to watch the live stream. Be smart, stay safe, and stay strong!
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Shit! I got a call from my kids school that I have to pick up my daughter because she's sick. Dammit! I'm not gonna make it, gentleman. Represent us well! I'll try to watch the live stream. Be smart, stay safe, and stay strong!
View Quote

Family first!
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:18:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Love that Tony Cornish is wearing an Ar-15 pin. The colonel Sanders tie is a bold move.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:28:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Love that Tony Cornish is wearing an Ar-15 pin. The colonel Sanders tie is a bold move.
View Quote

He is a great guy to have on our side for sure.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's the back story on John Ploetz and the colossal fuck up he walked his daughter into that resulted in her death.

St Paul man sentenced to 48 years for murder
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#18]
MN Gun Owners Caucus Twitter feed: https://mobile.twitter.com/mnguncaucus
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#19]

They're starting the discussion of HF238.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Here's the back story on John Ploetz and the colossal fuck up he walked his daughter into that resulted in her death.

St Paul man sentenced to 48 years for murder
View Quote

Why is this relevant to the thread?
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Because it was brought up in the hearing.
View Quote

Thanks, I keep losing the feed.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:45:47 PM EDT
[#23]
me too!
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
me too!
View Quote

Maybe a good thing, when it's on the stupid from the libs makes my brain hurt.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Updated live feed: http://theuptake.org/live-channel/mn-house-channel/

ETA: Sorry for the delay in responding. The wifi here keeps cutting out.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:12:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Tony Cornish is the man. He was the epitome of reason, level headedness, and fairness. Damn, are we lucky to have him.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#27]
So, for those of you that were able to attend in person, how was it there? Any aggressive interactions? Many cross words? Any humorous shenanigans? What was the approximate break down of supporters to opponents?
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:47:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Double tap
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So, for those of you that were able to attend in person, how was it there? Any aggressive interactions? Many cross words? Any humorous shenanigans? What was the approximate break down of supporters to opponents?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

There was one situation where an anti-gunner tried to pass himself off as a racist asshole and portray gun owners in a bad light.

Summary:
http://www.shotinthedark.info/wp/?p=62378

Earlier this morning at the House Public Safety Committee hearings on the “Stand your Ground” billl, a “pro-bill” testifier erupted in a caracature of a pro-Trump, white supremacist tirade; at one point, he reportedly said it was time for gun owners to return to “lynching” people.

Then he got up and walked out.

He’s utterly unknown to Minnesota’s close-knit 2nd Amendment activist community.

Video:
https://www.facebook.com/jamie.delton/videos/10154575491588250/

Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#30]
The House Speaker Rep. Kurt Daudt has said he likely won't include the pro-gun bills into the House Public Safety Omnibus Bill. We need everyone to call and write to try and get him to change his mind.

From a www.gunowners.mn email, the NRA, MNGOCRA, and other groups have sent out similar emails:

Earlier this month, two critical pro-Second Amendment bills were heard in the Minnesota House of Representatives Public Safety and Security Policy & Finance Committee:
HF188, authored by Rep. Jim Nash, would make permits to carry optional throughout Minnesota. This concept is known as "Constitutional Carry" and fully recognizes that a law-abiding citizen should not have to beg government permission to carry a firearm. Permits would remain available for individual wishing to carry in other states that recognize the Minnesota Permit to Carry.

HF238, also authored by Rep. Jim Nash, reforms Minnesota's self-defense laws, codifying decades of case law, expanding castle doctrine, and removing the "duty to retreat" in Minnesota law. This concept is often known as "Stand your Ground".
Both bills were heard in a committee hearing earlier this month - the bills were held over with the intention of being included in the 2017 Public Safety Omnibus Bill.

If they are not included in the Omnibus, the bills will die until next year.

We need your help TODAY in order to ensure that these bills move forward!

Call and e-mail the following Minnesota House Republican Leaders and tell them that law-abiding gun owners in Minnesota are eager to see important self-defense legislation bills move forward in the Minnesota House this year:
House Speaker Rep. Kurt Daudt
Office:  651-296-5364
E-Mail:  [email protected]

Majority Leader Rep. Joyce Peppin
Office:  651-296-7806

Public Safety Committee Chairman Tony Cornish
Office:  651-296-4240
It's important to both call and e-mail so that your message is heard loud and clear.  Be polite, but firm in your position that these bills should move forward this year.

Gun owners across Minnesota worked hard in 2014 and 2016 to elect pro-Second Amendment majorities in both the Minnesota House and Senate. Now is the time to advance substantive pro-gun rights legislation.

Again, please call and e-mail these leaders TODAY!  

We'll have further updates in the coming days.

Yours in Liberty,
Blue-Signature---Bryan.gif
Bryan Strawser
Chair

The NRA, GOCRA, and a few smaller groups are also asking their members to contact the House leaders about this issue.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Hopefully a lot of you emailed or called about this.  I did so yesterday.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Gun owner caucus reported that our bills will not be included.  Every time republicans/pro gunners get the majority nothing pro gun happens.

It's like a little game the powers that be play to keep us bamboozled.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#33]
well the house GOP DID get us suppressors pretty recently and the DFL senate didn't want that language but it stayed in...  So don't forget about that minor change........

How many years did it take for us to get CCW?  if'n you weren't around, it took years.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Just saw this on GOCRA's FB page.
YOUR CALLS WORKED.
Stand Your Ground (HB 238) will be added to the Omnibus bill on next TUESDAY. There will be an up/down vote but no further public testimony.
Your PRESENCE is your speech. Arrive early to get a seat.
PLEASE BE THERE.
Tuesday, March 28, 2017
11:30 AM to 1:00 PM
Room 120 Capitol
View Quote
This is the bill that we really need to get this year. CC can wait.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:51:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:33:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yep, I'm 100% fine with putting off CC if we can get this passed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree as well. We will take what we can get. This shouldn't be that groundbreaking to include and pass and should not derail the omnibus bill as a while as well.  One pro gun bill per session turning into law is just fine by me.  CC next year...hopefully we run out of state issues to pass!
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Agree as well. We will take what we can get. This shouldn't be that groundbreaking to include and pass and should not derail the omnibus bill as a while as well.  One pro gun bill per session turning into law is just fine by me.  CC next year...hopefully we run out of state issues to pass!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, id trade CC for stand your ground/defense of dwelling/whatever you want to call it
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 1:03:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Bump...any new info?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Bump...any new info?
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#40]
I am waiting on the word as well.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:53:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Dammit. Post from GOCRA's facebook earlier.

The latest word from the Capitol. The House Republican Leadership isn't going to bring the Stand Your Ground bill to the floor for a vote in this Session.
The inside word is "Sadly I doubt it timing issues I'm told."
Since timing is completely WITHIN the control of the Leadership and feet have been dragging all along, this appears to be a self-created roadblock. Remember that in 2018.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top