Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2017 11:56:07 AM EDT
I grew up in Northern MN where there were tons of abandoned open gravel pits that people would shoot at.

I now live close to the metro area and have ventured out 1hr - 1hr 30m in every direction looking for a place to shoot.  Indoor ranges suck and the outdoor ranges I've been to haven't impressed me enough to be a paying member.  I haven't been to the gopher gun club yet up in Harris (I hear they have a long range range).  So I guess I could check that out on their next open to the public day.  I'd really like to find an open adandoned gravel pit but I've pretty much come to the conclusion that won't happen this far south of where I grew up.  Ideally I'd like to buy a house with lots of land.  That won't be for a while though.

Anyone have suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately for you, there are not much for you to choose from unless you find a friend to mooch use of their land?

A good idea for you is to attend the MN Weapons Collectors Show at the Fairgrounds in March at the coliseum.  Many of the local clubs have tables with information.

Many of the local clubs have done their membership programs for 2017.  Others have open enrollment so to speak.

There are many clubs within hours drive of the metro or so.
Then longer range clubs have hoops to jump through to join and use the longer ranges.
Gopher has 1K Known Distance
Elk River Sportsman has 600YD Known Distance
North Star has 600YD Known Distance
Faribault has 600YD Know Distance (unsure about availability?)
Forest Lake 400YD?
Minneapolis Rifle Club/Minnetonka Game And Fish goes to 300 on know distance  range but I think you can get to 400yds
Caribou Gun Club 400 yds?
Other Clubs have lesser range distances to about a max of 300 yds or so.
Rainbow Sportsmans Club at Cokato nice club but at times can be restricted due to Crow River flooding at times.
Oakdale goes to 200 Meters
Horse and Hunt 200?
Hudson Rifle and Gun Club?
Carver County?
Delano 100yd
Post 435 200yd
Dakota County 300yd
Beaverbrook?
Gopher Campfire? 100yd

Some clubs are easy to join and do not require anything other than your money. (Gopher Campfire and Rainbow Sportsman

One should consider that most clubs are not open to doing dumb ass things if that is your cup of tea.  They have to be good neighbors due to conditional use permits and such.  They do not need bullets leaving their property.
Or people being injured because of poor choices made by range users!  Or how some club members wreck club property on purpose.  UFDA!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top