Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2017 11:25:04 AM EDT
I live in MN, like many of you. MN gets very cold, as many if you know. Backup heating systems are such a good idea in MN, obviously.
Be it from furnace failure, power outage or whatever.
So why does MN ban installation of cost effective, non electric backup heaters!
A 30k BTU propane room heater is about$160. To get a direct vent mmodel, you get about 10k BTU for about $600, plus installation costs, and it must be on an exterior wall.

It's asinine we can't have cheap, effective, safe, reliable non electric heaters for backup in our climate.

Anybody for a coordinated push?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:29:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I didn't realize that was illegal here.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:47:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I live in MN, like many of you. MN gets very cold, as many if you know. Backup heating systems are such a good idea in MN, obviously.
Be it from furnace failure, power outage or whatever.
So why does MN ban installation of cost effective, non electric backup heaters!
A 30k BTU propane room heater is about$160. To get a direct vent mmodel, you get about 10k BTU for about $600, plus installation costs, and it must be on an exterior wall.

It's asinine we can't have cheap, effective, safe, reliable non electric heaters for backup in our climate.

Anybody for a coordinated push?
View Quote

What kind of experience do you have with thsee kinds of heaters?
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:24:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What kind of experience do you have with thsee kinds of heaters?
View Quote
Lots. Grew up with them.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:26:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I didn't realize that was illegal here.
View Quote
Illegal to "install" in any occupied dwelling in MN.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:19:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess im not familiar with the kind of heaters you are referring to.
Do you have a link to heater like this? Sounds like something I might be interested in.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:47:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I guess im not familiar with the kind of heaters you are referring to.
Do you have a link to heater like this? Sounds like something I might be interested in.
View Quote
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000UPR5TY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486608330&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=non vented propane heater&dpPl=1&dpID=51FNy bQBNL&ref=plSrch&tag=vglnk-c102-20

Cheaper elsewhere, but these.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 2:01:16 AM EDT
[#7]
If you just want it for backup, then why not just get a portable you can bring in and out as needed?

Sounds like you want it more for supplemental, which is probably what the AHJ has issue with.

I have a smaller one, and a couple of tanks of propane for it.  It lives out in the garage, it's there in case of a real genuine emergency.  I'd go to a hotel if I needed to before I'd bring it inside.  It's for an absolute last resort.

Sounds like the U of Iowa doesn't like them too much, either.

https://www.abe.iastate.edu/extension-and-outreach/carbon-monoxide-poisoning-unvented-gas-space-heating-appliances-aen-204/
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I want them for a permanently installed backup system.

I have livestock, including dairy cows. Leaving isn't an option.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:44:48 PM EDT
[#9]
interesting, something like that in my garage would be awesome
are there portable ventless heaters?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:38:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah I use a Mr Heater Little Buddy in my SXS cup holder when it's too cold for just the upper doors to keep the windows from fogging up (and to keep the wife from complaining)... they make good heaters.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:22:32 PM EDT
[#11]
When I was growing up we had two ventless propane heaters in our house( was our main source of heat) and we never had any problems with them, but that house had enough drafts that we probably got enough fresh air.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:37:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I use a kerosene heater in the garage all the time and would in the house in an emergency, not so much as an ongoing basis.

That being said op, it is America, can't imagine blue flame heater police would come knocking for random inspections. You want to run one, probably not gonna raise many eyebrows.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:05:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I want them for a permanently installed backup system.

I have livestock, including dairy cows. Leaving isn't an option.
View Quote

I'd think a solid generator backup system would be the way to go here, if you don't have one already.
When I was a kid we ran an old tractor pto-type generator when the power went out in the winter to keep the hog fans running.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:19:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'd think a solid generator backup system would be the way to go here, if you don't have one already.
When I was a kid we ran an old tractor pto-type generator when the power went out in the winter to keep the hog fans running.
View Quote
I know this reply was a while ago, but I don't get to HTF often, and there is apparently zero support for this initiative.

I have 3 generators. I also have an all electric house, electric heat as well (individual room heaters). Our old log house is not able to accept any other source of heating without MAJOR (and I mean MAJOR) fitting, or an insanely expensive hydro heat system. As in a $3k propane furnace would run about $4k in fitting costs (if I do it myself). When a friggin $200 backup heater would work fine.

The reason its an issue is that if you run an illegal heater in your house, and something happened to your house, insurance would likely wash their hands of you. 

If it comes down to letting my house pipes burst or freezing to death, the heaters are used. But why should I have to make that decision of breaking the law in the first place?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I know this reply was a while ago, but I don't get to HTF often, and there is apparently zero support for this initiative.

I have 3 generators. I also have an all electric house, electric heat as well (individual room heaters). Our old log house is not able to accept any other source of heating without MAJOR (and I mean MAJOR) fitting, or an insanely expensive hydro heat system. As in a $3k propane furnace would run about $4k in fitting costs (if I do it myself). When a friggin $200 backup heater would work fine.

The reason its an issue is that if you run an illegal heater in your house, and something happened to your house, insurance would likely wash their hands of you. 

If it comes down to letting my house pipes burst or freezing to death, the heaters are used. But why should I have to make that decision of breaking the law in the first place?
View Quote
So i was looking at some of these heaters.
How are they safe to use in a enclosed space? am i looking at these wrong?
From what i have seen they do release gas as a by product of combustion, just less of it.
I'm guessing the reason that they are illegal is that they can potentially suffocate people.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So i was looking at some of these heaters.
How are they safe to use in a enclosed space? am i looking at these wrong?
From what i have seen they do release gas as a by product of combustion, just less of it.
I'm guessing the reason that they are illegal is that they can potentially suffocate people.
View Quote
They have an oxygen sensor built in (mechanical).

They do release some exhaust gasses, same as a gas stove top. Since they are 99.9% efficient, its very little. Like a kero heater, the vast majority of emissions are at startup while the catalytic elements heat up.

In a small enclosed space, yes, there could be issues (although the gas shuts off if O2 gets too low). Right in the manuals are instructions for cracking windows in tight construction, CO detectors, etc. Again, no different than a gas stove top.

Kero heaters produce far more emissions, and are legal. These are safer, more economical, cleaner burning, and are banned.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:21:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Even if they were "legal" that doesn't mean your ins co wouldn't still frown on them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top