Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2017 6:46:24 PM EDT
Minnesota drops reciprocity for 4 states

Effective January 1st 2017 Minnesota will no longer honor Concealed Carry Permits from Arkansas, Ohio, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.

In addition, Minnesota will no longer honor the basic permits from North Dakota or South Dakota but will continue to honor the class 1 license from both North and South Dakota.

Full Article Here:

https://www.concealedcarry.com/law/minnesota-drops-reciprocity-for-4-states/

Any info on just why the states were dropped?
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#1]
That sucks, building a good case for national reciprocity.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#2]
State Reciprocity
Minnesota Statutes, 624.714, subd. 16 requires that states have similar standards in order to be granted permit to carry reciprocity. In determining which states currently meet that standard, the Department of Public Safety considers a number of components including handgun training requirements, use of criminal background checks, mutual reciprocity issues, as well as prohibitions for criminal convictions and civil commitments. Another crucial consideration is other states’ ability to provide Minnesota law enforcement personnel with confirmation of permit validity 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
View Quote

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/administrative/Pages/firearms-permit-to-carry.aspx

Minnesota Statutes, 624.714, subd. 16:

Subd. 16.Recognition of permits from other states. (a) The commissioner must annually establish and publish a list of other states that have laws governing the issuance of permits to carry weapons that are not similar to this section. The list must be available on the Internet. A person holding a carry permit from a state not on the list may use the license or permit in this state subject to the rights, privileges, and requirements of this section.
(b) Notwithstanding paragraph (a), no license or permit from another state is valid in this state if the holder is or becomes prohibited by law from possessing a firearm.
(c) Any sheriff or police chief may file a petition under subdivision 12 seeking an order suspending or revoking an out-of-state permit holder's authority to carry a pistol in this state on the grounds set forth in subdivision 6, paragraph (a), clause (3). An order shall only be issued if the petitioner meets the burden of proof and criteria set forth in subdivision 12. If the court denies the petition, the court must award the permit holder reasonable costs and expenses including attorney fees. The petition may be filed in any county in the state where a person holding a license or permit from another state can be found.
(d) The commissioner must, when necessary, execute reciprocity agreements regarding carry permits with jurisdictions whose carry permits are recognized under paragraph (a).
View Quote

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=624.714

and the list:
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/administrative/Pages/permit-to-carry-reciprocity.aspx

Stupid "similar law" crap, wonder if the Commisioner of the BCA (or is it DPS?) has to answer about any of these changes?
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#3]
The states that they dropped last year they cited the lack of a live fire portion of the permit requirements.  Haven't seen specific reasons for this year.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I am at the Legislative Preview today. This issue is a priority for the MN Gun Owners caucus and many Republican representatives. The real reason they dropped four states is some petty infighting and the like, this won't end well for our opponents.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:18:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm too concerned that 'National Reciprocity' would be ran, and 'interpreted' and 'defined' by the BATFE. They are NOT the ones we'd want running it, but who else is there?

Knowing how bad the ATF usually is and how bad they have been at times is why I'd rather go with Constitutional Carry.

I'm former .mil and at first I was not in favor of any less training than there already to allow someone to carry. But the current carry class doesn't teach people to handle firearms or shoot with any level of proficiency. So, legal to own, legal to carry is actually decent. And way should I have to pay another $165 when my permit expires this spring?

And as far as states dropping off the list, maybe they started doing Constitutional Carry or lessened their gun control. Very likely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top