Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2016 11:29:54 PM EDT
Come this spring/summer I'd like to do some long distance shooting. Looking for a range and maybe a advisor to help make my shot more accurate.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#1]
An option to consider is the Elk River Sportsman's Club F Class League
Club info
You do not need to be a member to shoot the league.
But there maybe opportunities to join yet?

You can get coaching and experience. And, then Gopher Rifle and Revolver at Harris has some matches out 1000yds
The have an introduction clinic and then you work your way out to 600yds.
They have a regular Monday Night League starting in the spring.

Before you turn up your noses at the matches...take the experience as a learning opportunity.  You get to
have people give you some insight when judging wind and light conditions.  Use your equipment, and just use the time to learn.
Yeah people have 3K rifles with 2K scopes.  But, all you have to do i worry about your rifle and scope.

There are opportunities Eau Claire 600yds, Harris (Gopher) 1000 yds, Elk River (ERSC) 600yds, Red Wing (North Star) yds.

The Faribault Gun Club had 600yd range down near Kilkenny, but not sure it has been finished with a rebuilding project.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An option to consider is the Elk River Sportsman's Club F Class League
Club info
You do not need to be a member to shoot the league.
But there maybe opportunities to join yet?

You can get coaching and experience. And, then Gopher Rifle and Revolver at Harris has some matches out 1000yds
The have an introduction clinic and then you work your way out to 600yds.
They have a regular Monday Night League starting in the spring.

Before you turn up your noses at the matches...take the experience as a learning opportunity.  You get to
have people give you some insight when judging wind and light conditions.  Use your equipment, and just use the time to learn.
Yeah people have 3K rifles with 2K scopes.  But, all you have to do i worry about your rifle and scope.

There are opportunities Eau Claire 600yds, Harris (Gopher) 1000 yds, Elk River (ERSC) 600yds, Red Wing (North Star) yds.

The Faribault Gun Club had 600yd range down near Kilkenny, but not sure it has been finished with a rebuilding project.
View Quote

I've been working on a 308 build trying to clone the m110. Then wanted to get into long distance shooting and do my own reloading. I appreciate the feed back thank you
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#3]
You can tap an enormous source of information shooting F class / Service / Match Rifle / Palma cause rain or shine they shoot varying conditions.  Half the battle is getting started.  Sure some clubs are a bit of clique especially to an outsider.
Shooting the F Class league with any rifle will be a learning experience.  Do not let other people's equipment daunt you.  Yeah, some have $5K tied up in a gun and optics.
There are many people shooting Savages with decent less expensive glass out there ie Sightron scopes.  
But, do not let that intimidate you.  Learn to drive your gun.  Build your skills!  
Not every trip to the range is going dead calm and 65 degrees.  Not every hunting trip will be in ideal weather.

Erud, a board member here, is a very accomplished "sling shooter".  He has blog about the regional shoots.  
There is a North Dakota boy that stumbled into MN that is pretty good too... out in the western part of the state

Some MN F Class Shooters own or share national records. Sling shooters are on the US Palma Team.
This state is home some very good shooters.....not posers like most.  Real honest to goodness shooters!  
They were all in your shoes at one time or another.  Usually, at the March Weapons Collectors show at the MN Fairgrounds the big clubs have booths.

MN has some nice ranges 3 are all within decent driving distance of the metro
ERSC at Elk River 600yd range
Northstar Rifle Club at Red Wing (okay a bit north of Red Wing) 600yd range
Gopher Rifle and Revolver Club at Harris 1000yd range

United Sportsman my bad it is Northwester Gun Club up near Duluth 500yd range
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 6:53:09 AM EDT
[#4]
United Northern Sportsmans in Duluth goes to 300, not 500.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#5]
It's actually my wife that has the blog, but you can check it out here if you are interested:

https://lifeofashooterswife.com/category/match-reports/

It isn't all about shooting, but she does a good job of keeping people updated with what's going on with Highpower, F-Class, and smallbore matches in MN and the surrounding states.  Under the "Rifle Shooting News" tab you can find a lot of match reports and the schedule for 2017, among other things.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Lots of resources!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top