Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2016 3:51:17 AM EDT
Hey guys, been a while..

I have here a Remington 'Nylon 66' .22 barrel that was cut-down to 16" but never re-crowned. I don't need a National Match job, just a functional and attractive new crown.

Meanwhile, I'm also seeking a clean, full-size replacement barrel.. but that's more in the EE category. Either way, this 16" needs a proper crown. Any help?

Thanks in advance
-Bill
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Palmer Raysor out in St. Boni is a good option.
He can be reached at 952-446-1435 between the hours of 11am and 5pm Monday thru Friday.  He is located out at 4110 County Road 92, St. Bonifacius, MN.  His work is excellent.  

There is Jim Kobe in Bloomington.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 12:39:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey thanks for that. I'm not anywhere near St. Bonnie, so maybe Kobe is a better shot?

Per the google, I assume this is him?

Jims Gun Shop
Licensee Name: Kobe, James A
10841 Oxborough Ave S
Bloomington, MN 55437
Phone: 952-884-6031

Found an email for him, which may be defunct but I'm not going to publish it here in any case.. I'll see if I hear back

UPDATE:

J. Kobe did get back to me, in short order. He asks $45 for a basic recrown.. I have no idea if this is competitive, but it does seem like it's on the costly side for a fairly basic machining operation on a +stripped+ barrel.

For my purposes, I can get a nice used barrel for around $50-75, and that solves both issues in one go - it only takes 10 min to swap a barrel, using only a screwdriver. I think that's the route I'll be taking.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 for Jim Kobe. He does nice work.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:51:44 PM EDT
[#4]
As a machinist who has crowned a few barrels, with the amount of set-up and dialing in that can be involved in a proper crown as well as the importance of the crown for overall accuracy... I would say $45 is a quite reasonable price.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Man and Machine Time as posted below....that is reasonable. Go to the Ford Dealer and ask what shop time is?

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a machinist who has crowned a few barrels, with the amount of set-up and dialing in that can be involved in a proper crown as well as the importance of the crown for overall accuracy... I would say $45 is a quite reasonable price.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top