Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2016 9:31:22 AM EDT
Local media has been saying that all bags, etc will be inspected at the state fair and that weapons are banned.

It's been years since I went.  Is this different and does it affect carry permit holders?
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#1]
The bag inspections are new as far as I'm aware, but I haven't seen that they will have wands or detectors.

There are differences of opinion about whether the State Fair can ban weapons.  Their opinion is they can, even those carried lawfully by permit holders.

I'm going on the 26th and I plan on carrying just like I do every day.  I guess I'll see what happens between now and then.  I'm sure we'll hear about it opening day if someone gets tossed.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll be there next week and plan on carrying.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#3]
SAFETY & SECURITY MEASURES

The Minnesota State Fair's security program will be expanded for 2016 to include bag checks at all entry gates. Bags, purses, coolers and packages will be subject to search at each of the State Fair's 11 entrances. Prohibited items include weapons, fireworks, alcoholic beverages, drones and bikes/skateboards/skates/hover boards. Other items may be refused at the discretion of State Fair management or police. The State Fair has also adjusted safety procedures in several other areas including security staffing levels, vehicle access, traffic management and video.

http://www.mnstatefair.org/general_info/visitor_guide/

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SAFETY & SECURITY MEASURES

The Minnesota State Fair's security program will be expanded for 2016 to include bag checks at all entry gates. Bags, purses, coolers and packages will be subject to search at each of the State Fair's 11 entrances. Prohibited items include weapons, fireworks, alcoholic beverages, drones and bikes/skateboards/skates/hover boards. Other items may be refused at the discretion of State Fair management or police. The State Fair has also adjusted safety procedures in several other areas including security staffing levels, vehicle access, traffic management and video.

http://www.mnstatefair.org/general_info/visitor_guide/

View Quote

Yeah, that's what they want everyone to think.

I believe the facts are that the State Fair is a public corporation, owned by the State Agricultural Society, and as such, is prohibited by state law from banning guns.  There are only a few statutorily prohibited locations in MN -- jails, daycare centers, schools (unless you have written permission), etc.  Unless it's one of those specific cases, the state is not allowed to prohibit carry on public property.

Like I said in my earlier post, they have a difference of opinion about this, and think they can do it (or just don't care) even though the law seems pretty clear.

~~~~

MN Statutes

37.01 PUBLIC CORPORATION.
The State Agricultural Society is a public corporation. The conveyance to the state of the land in Ramsey County described as Southeast Quarter (SE 1/4) of Section Twenty-one (21) and East half (E 1/2) of East half (E 1/2) of Southwest Quarter (SW 1/4), Section Twenty-one (21), Township Twenty-nine (29), Range Twenty-three (23), is confirmed. Anything in that conveyance to the contrary notwithstanding, the state holds that land and any other property known and used as the "State Fairgrounds" forever for the following public purposes: (1) exhibiting under the management and control of the society, at annual fairs and at other times determined by the society, the agricultural, stock-breeding, horticultural, mining, mechanical, industrial, and other products and resources of the state, including proper exhibits and expositions of the arts, human skills, and sciences; and (2) other uses and purposes determined by the State Agricultural Society, including the leasing of parts of the State Fairgrounds. The society shall not lease any part of the State Fairgrounds if the lessee is going to compete with an existing established business of auto racing within a radius of 40 miles, except during the operation of the state fair and all other public exhibitions pertinent to expositions of human art, industry, or skill. Neither the state nor the society shall ever charge or encumber this property. Any part of the State Fairgrounds which is within the boundaries of a city or other political subdivision of the state is detached from the city or political subdivision. Nothing in this section exempts otherwise taxable property on the fairgrounds or the fairgrounds itself from real and personal property taxes pursuant to chapters 272 to 275 and 471.

118A.01 DEFINITIONS.
Subd. 2.Government entity.
(a) "Government entity" means a county, city, town, school district, hospital district, public authority, public corporation, public commission, special district, any other political subdivision, except an entity whose investment authority is specified under chapter 11A or 356A.

624.714 CARRYING OF WEAPONS WITHOUT PERMIT; PENALTIES.
Subd. 23.Exclusivity.
This section sets forth the complete and exclusive criteria and procedures for the issuance of permits to carry and establishes their nature and scope. No sheriff, police chief, governmental unit, government official, government employee, or other person or body acting under color of law or governmental authority may change, modify, or supplement these criteria or procedures, or limit the exercise of a permit to carry.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#5]
So, IF they notice you're carrying they kick you out and you lose the price of your admission and parking spot.  Okay, deal.  

Edit to add: someone please post if they have wands or detectors on the first day.  I don't know how they'd manage the logistics of that but it's still a remote possibility.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought the state fair grounds were private property.

ETA:
Is sec 16 trying to supplant state law?

37.16 RULES; VIOLATION.
The society may make all bylaws, ordinances, and rules consistent with law which it considers necessary or proper for the government of the fairgrounds and all fairs to be held on them, and for the protection, health, safety, and comfort of the public on the fairgrounds. The bylaws, ordinances, and rules are effective when filed with the secretary of the society. The violation of a bylaw, rule, or ordinance of the society is a misdemeanor.
History: (7875) RL s 3087; 1965 c 796 s 1; 1985 c 265 art 2 s 1
View Quote

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=37&view=chapter
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:14:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Aren't the sports stadium owned by a public sports commission?  Somehow they are able to keep firearms out.

I haven't been to the local Civic centers for a while, are they able to keep firearms out?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Any first hand reports now that the fair has started?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Aren't the sports stadium owned by a public sports commission?  Somehow they are able to keep firearms out.

I haven't been to the local Civic centers for a while, are they able to keep firearms out?
View Quote

The teams "rent" the stadiums, as do bands for concerts etc....  

The state fair, however, is a public venue.  Individual vendors could prohibit carry during an event in their rented space, but, like Mall of America, the whole damn thing can't be made into a gun free zone.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got home from the Fair. Carried just like I have every other year. No issues at all.

The "bag checks" we saw were minimal. My wife's backpack wasn't searched in any way, they only glanced briefly inside it.

We walked past two guys who were talking about someone they know who "tried to bring his gun in." I didn't hear the rest, it seemed like someone might have gotten denied entry? I wonder if we'll hear more about that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#11]
They also have close to 100 security cameras all over the fairgrounds watching.....
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 12:23:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Went opening day...  Parking SUCKED.  My EMP and spare mag followed me everywhere.  Concealed is concealed I guess...  As they say...  YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:12:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Parking did suck.  Many park and ride lots were full early.

Bag checks were nothing short of worthless.  I opened up the backpack and they just looked at it.  There was a sweatshirt on top so it's not like they saw what was in there anyways.

Typical day of carrying though, nobody pays any attention.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:38:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I walked right in no checks of people that I noticed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 11:26:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Parking did suck.  Many park and ride lots were full early.

Bag checks were nothing short of worthless.  I opened up the backpack and they just looked at it.  There was a sweatshirt on top so it's not like they saw what was in there anyways.

Typical day of carrying though, nobody pays any attention.
View Quote

Went on Monday, and got the same half-assed backpack search by what looked to be a kid no more than 19. He set it on the table and said "What'ya got in there??" as he squeezed the shit out of it I asked him not to do that, and I started to open it up for him, then he just said, "No, that's OK" and just waved me on through. Okie dokie.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Going now,  XDs will be my constant companion. ZFG about their most likely unlawful and obviously unenforceable "no gun" policy.

ETA: Yep, concealed means concealed. No issues, just got home. The cheese on a stick and Gyro were delicious.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top