Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2016 9:11:24 AM EDT
Might as well have a thread about this going.

http://kstp.com/news/police-state-fairgrounds-falcon-heights/4192057/?cat=1

'bout a mile away from me.  Should be a thrilling summer.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#1]
ASSUMING it went down the way it looks and according to the girlfriend, it doesn't look good for the officer. Probably panicked, and by his words and demeanor after firing, knew he effed up. I feel bad for him and the young man who was killed, sounds like he was a good guy. Guess we'll see what comes of it when the cops release their side of things.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 10:47:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, there's no way this is going to go well
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 1:05:17 PM EDT
[#3]
https://youtu.be/zgtvop59kRI

crazy. The passenger claims that the driver had a carry permit and notified the officer he was carrying a weapon. Supposedly the officer told the driver to get his wallet and when he reached for his wallet the officer shot him, I'm guessing thinking he was pulling his firearm for some reason. Not facts yet, but just what the passenger claims in the video.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#4]
The passenger also might be %100 full of shit, we just don't know. I've heard the driver had a rap sheet of some length; if that's true I'm not sure how he could qualify for a carry permit in this state? That is, assuming what I heard was true.

If it wasn't true, AND if he really was reaching for his wallet (why didn't he have it out when he was pulled over to begin with?), AND if he really did ignore the officer's commands to stop and not move...well, it's a shit sandwich.

We just don't know if it's a good shoot, bad shoot, or a series of misunderstandings that lead to someone's death.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The passenger also might be %100 full of shit, we just don't know. I've heard the driver had a rap sheet of some length; if that's true I'm not sure how he could qualify for a carry permit in this state? That is, assuming what I heard was true.

If it wasn't true, AND if he really was reaching for his wallet (why didn't he have it out when he was pulled over to begin with?), AND if he really did ignore the officer's commands to stop and not move...well, it's a shit sandwich.

We just don't know if it's a good shoot, bad shoot, or a series of misunderstandings that lead to someone's death.
View Quote

The record that has been posted online shows traffic/parking violations.  Enough of them that I wouldn't be hiring the guy if I operated a courier service, but nothing significant enough to disqualify him from getting a carry permit.

Link Posted: 7/7/2016 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#6]
We all should reflect on how to handle LE encounters while carrying, and to make sure we have our registration and proof of insurance cards readily available.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#7]
The one and only time I was ever involved in a traffic stop while carrying was very routine. I was stopped for accidentally running a stop sign. The officer came to my window where I had my hands on the steering wheel. I informed him that I had a carry permit and that my handgun was on my person and where it was located. He asked me for my license and carry permit. My pistol was on my right side near my back pocket. I asked him if it was ok to retentive my wallet from my pants and he said yes. I took out my wallet and showed him the license and permit and he asked what I was carrying. I told him and he handed my licenses back to me and said have a nice day and I drove off. The officer in the tape certainly doesn't sound like someone who was out to shoot somebody, in fact he sounded like that was the last thing he wanted to do.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 2:14:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The record that has been posted online shows traffic/parking violations.  Enough of them that I wouldn't be hiring the guy if I operated a courier service, but nothing significant enough to disqualify him from getting a carry permit.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I heard it was more than that, but if that's all it was? Then yeah...that's nothing. Shit, that shouldn't even be on anyone's record
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I heard it was more than that, but if that's all it was? Then yeah...that's nothing. Shit, that shouldn't even be on anyone's record
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All I've seen are screencaps, so it's certainly possible that I've missed some of it.  *shrug*
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#10]
In on one.....
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I certainly do not know what the sequence of events were in this shooting and I have zero Law Enforcement experience as a Police Officer.

The video does not have any audio as to the period leading up to the discharge.  Did the driver that was pulled over announce that he had a permit to carry and was indeed carrying?  O was he going for his drivers license and the girl friend announced that he has a gun and he has a license for it?  If the girl friend announced he has a gun, she may have triggered the response by making that announcement.

Either way, I wouldn't want to be the driver or the Officer.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#13]
We are just not that lucky and our local hooligans are not yet that fired up.

Give it time... a couple more good shootings from trigger happy rookie cops.

DISCLAIMER: Not all cops are bad. Not all black people are thugs.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The one and only time I was ever involved in a traffic stop while carrying was very routine. I was stopped for accidentally running a stop sign. The officer came to my window where I had my hands on the steering wheel. I informed him that I had a carry permit and that my handgun was on my person and where it was located. He asked me for my license and carry permit. My pistol was on my right side near my back pocket. I asked him if it was ok to retentive my wallet from my pants and he said yes. I took out my wallet and showed him the license and permit and he asked what I was carrying. I told him and he handed my licenses back to me and said have a nice day and I drove off. The officer in the tape certainly doesn't sound like someone who was out to shoot somebody, in fact he sounded like that was the last thing he wanted to do.
View Quote

This is how my first stop went with a LEO near Rochster.

I had to turn left due to an accident in front of me in St. Paul (during verboten hours) and go flagged down and stopped.
The thing wearing the uniform was the most irate piece of work. I informed them of my concealed firearm, permit, and already had my wallet out.

I got called "rambo" by officer friendly 3 times during the stop. I went to court and pleaded my case and showed the picture I took of the car in front of me. Case dismissed.

DISCLAIMER: Not all cops are bad people. Not all minorities are thugs. Not all white people are "rambo".
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We all should reflect on how to handle LE encounters while carrying, and to make sure we have our registration and proof of insurance cards readily available.
View Quote

My only proof of registration is the little stickers on my plates. Am I going to get shot?
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:32:05 PM EDT
[#16]
kind of interesting that the female passenger didn't try to help the man at all, was only interested in taking videos after the fact, and then puts it on U-tube I think..... kind of fishy if they were all that innocent..
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
kind of interesting that the female passenger didn't try to help the man at all, was only interested in taking videos after the fact, and then puts it on U-tube I think..... kind of fishy if they were all that innocent..
View Quote

I can't say that I'd find it to be the wisest course of action to start grabbing at a known armed person who was just shot by a cop while the cop is still standing in the window with his gun drawn.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I watched the video.

At this point, I believe the description the woman gave of how the encounter went down.  And if what I believe right now is indeed true, that cop has a world of hurt coming down on him that will affect him for the rest of his life.  It never ceases to amaze me how one moment can have such a profound effect.  As a previous poster said, we should all reflect on and plan ahead for how we handle encounters with the police while armed.  And I'll add that we should never think of any moment as being too mundane that we can stop paying attention.

Only once have I ever encountered the police while armed.  The cop asked me if I had any weapons in the vehicle and I told him I did.  The conversation then went to him asking me where it was and arranging for me to produce the documents he requested without anybody getting too jumpy about it.

That's the thing that struck me as weird about this Philando Castile thing.  He disclosed to the cop that he was a CCW permit holder, but then the cop didn't direct the conversation in such a way so that PC could tell him if and where it was and figure out how to do this without anybody being killed?  That's how the woman's story sounded and if accurate, the cop committed and omission that cost someone their life...major breach of procedure.

There was a lot of stuff that rookie cop who picked me up in Tioga, ND didn't know.  But one thing he did know was how to ask the right set of questions first.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I watched the video.

At this point, I believe the description the woman gave of how the encounter went down.  And if what I believe right now is indeed true, that cop has a world of hurt coming down on him that will affect him for the rest of his life.  It never ceases to amaze me how one moment can have such a profound effect.  As a previous poster said, we should all reflect on and plan ahead for how we handle encounters with the police while armed.  And I'll add that we should never think of any moment as being too mundane that we can stop paying attention.

Only once have I ever encountered the police while armed.  The cop asked me if I had any weapons in the vehicle and I told him I did.  The conversation then went to him asking me where it was and arranging for me to produce the documents he requested without anybody getting too jumpy about it.

That's the thing that struck me as weird about this Philando Castile thing.  He disclosed to the cop that he was a CCW permit holder, but then the cop didn't direct the conversation in such a way so that PC could tell him if and where it was and figure out how to do this without anybody being killed?  That's how the woman's story sounded and if accurate, the cop committed and omission that cost someone their life...major breach of procedure.

There was a lot of stuff that rookie cop who picked me up in Tioga, ND didn't know.  But one thing he did know was how to ask the right set of questions first.
View Quote

Except it turns out he did not have a valid PTC per Ramsey county.
He did have one several years ago though hennepin, but it would be expired and invalid.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
He did have one several years ago though hennepin, but it would be expired and invalid.
View Quote

At the risk of duping from the GD thread ... (I posted this there but it may be better here)

Are you sure? The statute only requires notification to the issuing sheriff.

Subd. 7a.Change of address; loss or destruction of permit. (a) Within 30 days after changing permanent address, or within 30 days of having lost or destroyed the permit card, the permit holder must notify the issuing sheriff of the change, loss, or destruction. Failure to provide notification as required by this subdivision is a petty misdemeanor. The fine for a first offense must not exceed $25. Notwithstanding section 609.531, a firearm carried in violation of this paragraph is not subject to forfeiture.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

At the risk of duping from the GD thread ... (I posted this there but it may be better here)

Subd. 7a.Change of address; loss or destruction of permit. (a) Within 30 days after changing permanent address, or within 30 days of having lost or destroyed the permit card, the permit holder must notify the issuing sheriff of the change, loss, or destruction. Failure to provide notification as required by this subdivision is a petty misdemeanor. The fine for a first offense must not exceed $25. Notwithstanding section 609.531, a firearm carried in violation of this paragraph is not subject to forfeiture.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He said it had expired. To me that means that the permit was no longer valid, and he would have had to resubmitted paperwork for a new/renewal of his permit.

But I'm seeing in the news that it _was_ a valid permit?

http://www.startribune.com/philando-castile-had-permit-to-carry-gun/386054481/ (left cold)

Philando Castile had a valid permit to carry a gun when he was shot and killed by a St. Anthony police officer, a source confirmed to the Star Tribune Friday.

Where is it written anywhere that it wasn't valid?
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

He said it had expired. To me that means that the permit was no longer valid, and he would have had to resubmitted paperwork for a new/renewal of his permit.

http://www.startribune.com/philando-castile-had-permit-to-carry-gun/386054481/ (left cold)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Philando Castile had a valid permit to carry a gun when he was shot and killed by a St. Anthony police officer, a source confirmed to the Star Tribune Friday.

Yup, robbinsdale is in hennepin, where he had the valid permit issued. Ramsey has said they did not issue a permit to him.
Unable to confirm, but it appears he has lived in Ramsey for around 10 years.
I would be surprised if any reporter knew anything at all about the permit process. The names and addresses of PTC holder is protected by law, they can't get that info, apparently someone leaked that he HAD one in hennepin county.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok, because the article is saying he had a valid one as of 2011 when he was living in Robbinsdale. I don't know when he moved to Ramsey (does anyone?) or how long his permit was good for, originally..if it expired in 2012 and he never bothered renewing, that's one thing. If he had it ISSUED in 2011 and it was still valid, and sometime between then and now moved to Ramsey...to me, that's a horse of a different color, and as far as I'm concerned (I know, my opinion only, I could be wrong, and it's contrary to the law), I'd consider that permit valid...valid enough, anyway.

I'm just trying to confirm that he really didn't have a valid permit in any way (Iabove and beyond failure to notify in a move).

Probably more rigorously than any of the august news organizations in this state are trying, at that

Edit - actually, question...the statute pasted above says he needs to notify the issuing sheriff - what does he need to do as far as notifying the sheriff of his new county? If he notifies the issuing sheriff, does that sheriff contact the sheriff of the county he moved to, and do they cut him a new permit? How does that work? (slight thread hijack, sorry)

More edit - ahh, I should have read the statute myself, it goes on to say

(b) After notice is given under paragraph (a), a permit holder may obtain a replacement permit card by paying $10 to the sheriff.  The request for a replacement permit card must be made on an official, standardized application adopted for this purpose under section 624.7151, and, except in the case of an address change, must include a notarized statement that the permit card has been lost or destroyed.
View Quote

That answers my question...
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yup, robbinsdale is in hennepin, where he had the valid permit issued. Ramsey has said they did not issue a permit to him.
I would be surprised if any reporter knew anything at all about the permit process. The names and addresses of PTC holder is protected by law, they can't get that info, apparently someone leaked that he HAD one in hennepin county.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, thanks. So Hennepin issues him his permit, then he moves and doesn't renew. Who knows if he notified, it's probably irrelevant. That's why Ramsey says they never issued him a permit. They didn't. And If he's been there 10 years, his permit is long expired.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ok, because the article is saying he had a valid one as of 2011 when he was living in Robbinsdale. I don't know when he moved to Ramsey (does anyone?) or how long his permit was good for, originally..if it expired in 2012 and he never bothered renewing, that's one thing. If he had it ISSUED in 2011 and it was still valid, and sometime between then and now moved to Ramsey...to me, that's a horse of a different color, and as far as I'm concerned (I know, my opinion only, I could be wrong, and it's contrary to the law), I'd consider that permit valid...valid enough, anyway.

I'm just trying to confirm that he really didn't have a valid permit in any way (Iabove and beyond failure to notify in a move).

Probably more rigorously than any of the august news organizations in this state are trying, at that

Edit - actually, question...the statute pasted above says he needs to notify the issuing sheriff - what does he need to do as far as notifying the sheriff of his new county? If he notifies the issuing sheriff, does that sheriff contact the sheriff of the county he moved to, and do they cut him a new permit? How does that work? (slight thread hijack, sorry)

View All Quotes
Quoted:

(b) After notice is given under paragraph (a), a permit holder may obtain a replacement permit card by paying $10 to the sheriff.  The request for a replacement permit card must be made on an official, standardized application adopted for this purpose under section 624.7151, and, except in the case of an address change, must include a notarized statement that the permit card has been lost or destroyed.

Yeah, sorry, I only snipped the part about notification. You can get a new card if you want your new address on it, to match your ID, but it's not mandatory. It helps if you want to buy from an FFL though, since the ATF is a stickler for having things match. Or so I've been told.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Ok, thanks. So Hennepin issues him his permit, then he moves and doesn't renew. Who knows if he notified, it's probably irrelevant. That's why Ramsey says they never issued him a permit. They didn't. And If he's been there 10 years, his permit is long expired.
View Quote

yea, none of it really matters except for casting more doubt on Mrs selfie videos account.
there is zero evidence that the officer acted inappropriately.
there is even less evidence that race was involved in anyway beyond the driver matching the description of the suspect from the robbery.
at this point we still know nothing at all that is relevant.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:04:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

yea, none of it really matters except for casting more doubt on Mrs selfie videos account.
there is even less evidence that race was involved in anyway beyond the driver matching the description of the suspect from the robbery.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you roll up on scene you are responsible for the people you are interacting withs safety. What I can tell you about the video is that after this dude is shot and he is no longer a threat, the officers are required to render aid to him. All I saw was the officer clearly freaked out and standing there babbling while pointing his weapon at a dying guy for what seems like a minute or two as the guy bleeds out. The law says they have to secure the threat and then render aid but calling the paramedics and watching people die is considered rendering aid. Would of looked a lot better for the officers had they actively been trying to help this guy instead of watching him die.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:03:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed on all points.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 4:11:59 PM EDT
[#29]
http://www.startribune.com/professor-st-anthony-police-chief-dismissed-plea-to-improve-traffic-stop-training/386079641/

I just read this article.  Doesn't give me a happy warm fuzzy feeling.  sure as hell doesn't make me feel any better if carrying concealed with a permit.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
http://www.startribune.com/professor-st-anthony-police-chief-dismissed-plea-to-improve-traffic-stop-training/386079641/

I just read this article.  Doesn't give me a happy warm fuzzy feeling.  sure as hell doesn't make me feel any better if carrying concealed with a permit.
View Quote

The article is derp.
He says one cop three years ago conducted a stop that was unsafe for the officer.
This stop was nothing like that one. Officer was next to the window as is taught to all LE. From the video the shots seem to have been fired from parallel to to slightly forward of the driver.I see no correlation here.
Stops on CCW holders happen every day. And this guy likely was not a CCW hold to begin with.
Settle down, if you are pulled over be polite and follow any lawful orders and you will be just fine.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 6:25:17 PM EDT
[#31]
first of all, Joe Olson isn't a derp. anyone who has been part of ccrn or getting CCW passed in MN knows who Joe Olson is.  

he said unsafe for officer AND Joe.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
first of all, Joe Olson isn't a derp. anyone who has been part of ccrn or getting CCW passed in MN knows who Joe Olson is.  

he said unsafe for officer AND Joe.
View Quote

Who said he was a derp?
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The article is derp.
He says one cop three years ago conducted a stop that was unsafe for the officer.
This stop was nothing like that one. Officer was next to the window as is taught to all LE. From the video the shots seem to have been fired from parallel to to slightly forward of the driver.I see no correlation here.
Stops on CCW holders happen every day. And this guy likely was not a CCW hold to begin with.
Settle down, if you are pulled over be polite and follow any lawful orders and you will be just fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The article is derp.

I respectfully disagree that the article is a "derp".

It brings up an example of a reaction to a stop by another LEO and the driver's attempt to comply with what we have bene told to do in PTC classes.

We have no idea what the EXACT events that unfolded during the recent stop where the DRIVER WAS SHOT 4 TIMES. That is the only bit of information we have clear agreement on. The youtube video only describes the naration of his PASSENGER immediately following the events.

REMEMBER: She grabbed her phone and began recording as soon as she could. The shooter cop was not wearing any video recording equipment that we know of or have been made aware of. [at the time of this post]

DISCLAIMER: Not all cops are bad. Not all minorities are thugs. Not all white people are Rambo.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#34]
This just keeps getting better.

You can bet we are going to see more of this in days/weeks to come.

Sending fireworks into a line of officers doen't put you in positive light. Less so when those fireworks are illegal in MN.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 2:42:03 PM EDT
[#35]
http://www.kare11.com/mb/news/102-arrested-21-officers-injured-in-94-shutdown/268434384

In before governor shit head calls the state patrol racist.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 11:58:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
http://www.kare11.com/mb/news/102-arrested-21-officers-injured-in-94-shutdown/268434384

View Quote

I'm no fan of our heavy handed wonderful State Patrol  or their union leadership. They have a history of being very VERY Anti 2A.

But bigots and racists, I've not witnessed.

DISCLAIMER: Not all cops are bigots. Not all minorities are thugs. Not all white guys are Rambo.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 8:52:36 AM EDT
[#37]
So, it appears that the action has died down over the past 24 hours.  Is this something that will be sustained, or are people waiting until next weekend?

And for speculation about maximum chaos and disorder, I wonder what would happen if, between now and then, there is another police shooting?

And all this time, I can only think of those iconic words: "Some men just want to watch the world burn"
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Keep your head on a swivel guys.  

I work at Abbott in Minneapolis.  Not the best neighborhood.  People were jumping in front of cars on 10th and 28th last night as I was leaving to go home.  

It isn't all in St Paul.  

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 2:22:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I work at Abbott in Minneapolis.  Not the best neighborhood.  People were jumping in front of cars on 10th and 28th last night as I was leaving to go home.  

It isn't all in St Paul.  

View Quote

Were all of these people Honor Students? Gotsta know
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So, it appears that the action has died down over the past 24 hours.  Is this something that will be sustained, or are people waiting until next weekend?

And for speculation about maximum chaos and disorder, I wonder what would happen if, between now and then, there is another police shooting?

And all this time, I can only think of those iconic words: "Some men just want to watch the world burn"
View Quote

Everyone had to turn in early to be up for work this morning.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It isn't all in St Paul.  

They were black.  The neighborhood is mostly black and hispanic.  

Just wanted to get the FYI out that they are a little frisky on the MPLS side of the river as well.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 6:50:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Believe it or not, the last State Revenue Generator Patrolman I had the pleasure to cross paths with actually told me that he encourages all law abiding Minnesotan's to carry a pistol

I was like

and yes, our brief encounter cost me $$$.$$
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm no fan of our heavy handed wonderful State Patrol  or their union leadership. They have a history of being very VERY Anti 2A.

But bigots and racists, I've not witnessed.

DISCLAIMER: Not all cops are bigots. Not all minorities are thugs. Not all white guys are Rambo.

Believe it or not, the last State Revenue Generator Patrolman I had the pleasure to cross paths with actually told me that he encourages all law abiding Minnesotan's to carry a pistol

I was like

and yes, our brief encounter cost me $$$.$$

So how fast did he catch you going
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top