Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2016 4:07:51 PM EDT
As witnessed this am at a local gunshop.  A fellow blatantly backs his black corvette into the handicapped sport, leaves car running.  Comes through door and the staff asked if he had a handicapped permit.  The fellow said no, and he was open carrying a revolver.  The guy then spew F bombs and proceeds to say he was just going to look around the shop.
And, taunts the staff with "what you going to do?"  Call the police?  The guy stomps around and then exits store and returns to expend another F Bomb tirade.

Clearly this guy does not have very good restraint!  Next, his arrogance mixed with open carrying makes him a poster child of WHY YOU DON'T OPEN carry!
Someone sure must of peed in his Wheaties this am!

People like him should not have a permit to carry! UFDA
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Hopefully there is video from the store so the cops can question the idiot.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#3]
So what bad thing happened as a result of this guy open carrying?

Sounds like he is just an unstable, dangerous moron.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So what bad thing happened as a result of this guy open carrying?

Sounds like he is just an unstable, dangerous moron.
View Quote

This.

I am far more concerned about him/it/whatever being behind the while of a car. Lets see... Vehicular deaths outnumber firearms 1000:1

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:36:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
As witnessed this am at a local gunshop.  A fellow blatantly backs his black corvette into the handicapped sport, leaves car running.  Comes through door and the staff asked if he had a handicapped permit.  The fellow said no, and he was open carrying a revolver.  The guy then spew F bombs and proceeds to say he was just going to look around the shop.
And, taunts the staff with "what you going to do?"  Call the police?  The guy stomps around and then exits store and returns to expend another F Bomb tirade.

Clearly this guy does not have very good restraint!  Next, his arrogance mixed with open carrying makes him a poster child of WHY YOU DON'T OPEN carry!

View Quote

Don't see how this relates to open carry.  He was an asshole that just happened to be carrying a gun.  He still would have been an asshole had he concealed.  At least with open carry you *know* he's carrying.

Aside from a 250$ fine, did he break a law?  Why should he not be permitted to carry?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Well said Rocco123
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:51:19 PM EDT
[#7]
He's a jackass but handicapped parking is bullshit anyway.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:55:55 AM EDT
[#8]
If you aren't a nice person, you shouldn't be able to exercise your constitutional rights.

Noted.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

...until you're handicapped, of course.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:03:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Saying open carrying is somehow responsible for his words and actions is just as silly as saying that him driving a Corvette contributed to his behavior.

Open carrying did not induce him to be a jackwagon. His actions and words started in his heart.

For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies.  Matthew 15:19

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am with the majority.  This situation is not a condemnation of open carry but one of being an asshole.  The guy is probably the same whether he open carries or not.  

Next time come up with a better story.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RN was just mad that the dude took his handicap spot.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Derp.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#14]
You had me at Corvette.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey OP... Let me introduce you to a new word:

cau·sa·tion
kô'zaSH(?)n/
noun
the action of causing something.
"investigating the role of nitrate in the causation of cancer"
the relationship between cause and effect; causality.
plural noun: causations
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:58:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like he left angry and without making a purchase. Mission accomplished, no?
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sounds like he left angry and without making a purchase. Mission accomplished, no?
View Quote

No kidding, and he didn't even have to chase him off with surly attitude or poor customer service.  Corvette guy basically did RN's whole job for him, and he's complaining about it?!?  
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You had me at Corvette.

View Quote

If it is one of these, I'm out.

But if I am gonna dream..

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FTW!!!
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Perhaps I am wrong!  I often am.  But reading this thread multiple times I can't help but wonder if the opening post's intent was to point out that the guy openly carrying was making a very bad impression on those who were in the gun shop that day.  These same people are most likely to be friendly to the cause of carrying a weapon, concealed or otherwise.  If his behavior at the gun shop is representative of his "normal" behavior while carrying a weapon it becomes very easy to see that he is not doing our cause much good in his travels out and about in society.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why would the cops need to question him?

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Don't see how this relates to open carry.  He was an asshole that just happened to be carrying a gun.  He still would have been an asshole had he concealed.  At least with open carry you *know* he's carrying.

Aside from a 250$ fine, did he break a law?  Why should he not be permitted to carry?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#23]
His behavior in the store was much worse than the act of 1) driving a Corvette or 2) parking in a handicap spot.  

Based on his swearing and the tough guy statements he should have been ejected immediately due to him disrupting the store's business, and he was obviously not a good example of people legally carrying.  Of course I wouldn't blame an employee who thought twice about possibly escalating things with someone who might be unstable...But this was more serious than him just being a jerk.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To insure he wasn't unstable. If this guy was filled with rage, and came across your loved one, would you want this nut confronting your loved one? Anyone who acts like this in a public area carrying a weapon should have his PTC revoked!
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 1:24:34 AM EDT
[#25]
So when you're having a bad day and every thing is going wrong you better turn your ptc.  It would be the right thing to do, right.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 7:35:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So when you're having a bad day and every thing is going wrong you better turn your ptc.  It would be the right thing to do, right.
View Quote

Yep -- better be hap-hap-happy all the time once you've got your PTC, or the feelz police are gonna be after you!
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 8:40:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Are you guys saying, as people who are on this site and therefore assumed to be passionate carry advocates, that this behavior:

"The guy then spew F bombs and proceeds to say he was just going to look around the shop. And, taunts the staff with "what you going to do?" Call the police? The guy stomps around and then exits store and returns to expend another F Bomb tirade."

Is normal?  That might be a bad day, but no one cares what kind of day the guy is having besides maybe his mother.  Anyone who thinks this is acceptable behavior while carrying (open or not) should get some refresher training from a quality instructor.  

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Are you guys saying, as people who are on this site and therefore assumed to be passionate carry advocates, that this behavior:

"The guy then spew F bombs and proceeds to say he was just going to look around the shop. And, taunts the staff with "what you going to do?" Call the police? The guy stomps around and then exits store and returns to expend another F Bomb tirade."

Is normal?  That might be a bad day, but no one cares what kind of day the guy is having besides maybe his mother.  Anyone who thinks this is acceptable behavior while carrying (open or not) should get some refresher training from a quality instructor.  

View Quote

Pretty sure we've established that the guy was behaving like (and probably is in general) an asshole.  Also don't see where anyone has claimed that he's exhibiting behavior that should be held up as an example of the ideal firearm-carrier.

However, being a carry advocate passionate enough to believe that you shouldn't need a little note from the local sheriff that says you're a good boy and can carry a gun, I don't see where this individual is doing something illegal or deserving of revocation of his permit.

I've encountered plenty of assholes, some of whom may have been carrying a gun.  If they're the type of asshole I need to worry about shooting me, then it's probably not terribly important to them to have a carry permit.  For the rest, they're assholes, gun or not, and should still be able to protect themselves regardless of how much you or I like them.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:47:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Pretty sure we've established that the guy was behaving like (and probably is in general) an asshole.  Also don't see where anyone has claimed that he's exhibiting behavior that should be held up as an example of the ideal firearm-carrier.

However, being a carry advocate passionate enough to believe that you shouldn't need a little note from the local sheriff that says you're a good boy and can carry a gun, I don't see where this individual is doing something illegal or deserving of revocation of his permit.

I've encountered plenty of assholes, some of whom may have been carrying a gun.  If they're the type of asshole I need to worry about shooting me, then it's probably not terribly important to them to have a carry permit.  For the rest, they're assholes, gun or not, and should still be able to protect themselves regardless of how much you or I like them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The OP's whole point appeared to me to be that this guy's behavior was sh11ty.  So, no one in this thread is saying his behavior is ideal, but I am saying it was sh11ty, and that sucks because that sort of thing has a negative effect, policy-wise, on all of us.  You shouldn't need a note from the sheriff...but the reality is you do.  I'm not even saying his permit should be revoked; I don't know enough about this particular instance to make a claim either way, but if the sheriff was standing in that gun shop what do you think would have happened?  Would the sheriff have just rolled his eyes and said, wow, that guy's a jerk, amirite?  Probably not.  More importantly, this is about perception, when it matters.  It's not about whether this guy is a jerk all the time or a good dude who teaches Sunday school but was having a bad day.  It's about actions he commits and whether they're disturbing the peace, while he is visibly carrying.  Disturbing the peace is against the law, and the elements of disturbing the peace by definition involve bystanders or other parties who are negatively affected (the perception part).  
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You do start to change the dynamic when you act in a threatening way (while being obviously armed) in conjunction with phrases such as "What are you going to do about it <I have a gun>?" The added bit is the silent threat that people feel. Now add that with you only have to reasonably perceive you are in great bodily harm to use deadly force, and with my Monday Morning QB skills (based solely on "testimony" from only one party) I would venture a guess that more than one PTC holder in that shop (and likely the clerk) was getting ready to draw.

A person with that type of behavior would certainly have ME on high alert, taking position, possibly calling 911. A fellow like that DESERVES a health and welfare check by a LEO. My first clue would have been a guy screaching up to a handicap parking spot and quite easily jumping out of the car while being obviously aggravated and armed.

Should the events have gone down like described, I would venture a guess it was some punk on challenge from gang members. A gun shop is perhaps the single place that people don't freak out when somebody is armed.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 12:04:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I suppose.  Being a dick is one thing, just ignore him or toss him.  Being a dick and acting in a threatening manner is a little different.

When it comes to justifications for use of deadly force, remember there are four requirements for defense of self. All four must be met.

- You must be reasonably in immediate fear of great bodily harm or death.
- You must not be the aggressor or a willing participant.
- You must have no reasonable means of retreat (note, duty to retreat does not apply inside your own home).
- No lesser force will suffice.

If anyone is unclear on these requirements and what they mean, read up.

If I were there as a customer and felt this guy was acting in a threatening manner, I'd have immediately left as quickly and quietly as I could and called police to come have a chat with him, assuming no one had already taken care of that.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm not even saying his permit should be revoked;
View Quote

You weren't, no, but other people in this thread were.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:52:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm going to have to go with this being a troll thread based on OP's comments in another thread dealing with open carry and his failure to return. Thanks for feeding the trolls guys.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 12:38:57 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I suppose.  Being a dick is one thing, just ignore him or toss him.  Being a dick and acting in a threatening manner is a little different.

When it comes to justifications for use of deadly force, remember there are four requirements for defense of self. All four must be met.

- You must be reasonably in immediate fear of great bodily harm or death. He is armed, acting in a hostile manner.

- You must not be the aggressor or a willing participant. Check

- You must have no reasonable means of retreat (note, duty to retreat does not apply inside your own home). Depends on the layout of the store. If this guy was blocking the only door you could get to..

- No lesser force will suffice. The guy is armed, so unless you are Chuck Norris, I would say a firearm would be needed.

If I were there as a customer and felt this guy was acting in a threatening manner, I'd have immediately left as quickly and quietly as I could and called police to come have a chat with him, assuming no one had already taken care of that.
View Quote
See my replies in red above.

Without knowing what happened, if it happened at all (I'm starting to doubt it), the situation was a sudden hand movement to the weapon away from a lawful defensive situation.

But then again, this probably didn't happen, and all details aren't known.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Without knowing what happened, if it happened at all (I'm starting to doubt it), the situation was a sudden hand movement to the weapon away from a lawful defensive situation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- You must be reasonably in immediate fear of great bodily harm or death. He is armed, acting in a hostile manner.
- You must not be the aggressor or a willing participant. Check
- You must have no reasonable means of retreat (note, duty to retreat does not apply inside your own home). Depends on the layout of the store. If this guy was blocking the only door you could get to..
- No lesser force will suffice. The guy is armed, so unless you are Chuck Norris, I would say a firearm would be needed.

Your replies are excellent. There's a saying, "If you can't explain it, don't do it". If you can reasonably articulate what you did -- and why --you'll have a better chance of avoiding prosecution for defending yourself. In this hypothetical case, for me, it would boil down to exactly what threatening behavior was happening and what the store layout was. GTFO is always the first thing that goes through my mind, if that's possible.

Ignoring the trolling aspect, it is actually useful to discuss how to react in such a case. Thinking through these kinds of situations before they ever happen is important, so you don't get caught completely unprepared if they do.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

To insure he wasn't unstable. If this guy was filled with rage, and came across your loved one, would you want this nut confronting your loved one? Anyone who acts like this in a public area carrying a weapon should have his PTC revoked!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So being an ass is enough to get your PTC revoked
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#37]
On a side note, i open carried on my lunch break walk today
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 7:44:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Pretty sure the O.P's intent was to state...

Open Carry people, whether they are aware of it or not, are Representatives of the 2nd Amendment, and representatives of Gun Owners in the public view.

Whether you like it or not, your actions and interactions in society shape the way others in our society view Gun Owners and the 2nd Amendment.

Yes, Causation does not mean Correlation...  However, Actions lead to inevitable Reactions.

The ACTIONS of Boorish Assholes normally only reflect negatively upon peoples' views of THAT ASSHOLE.

The ACTIONS OF OPEN CARRIERS (if acting as similar boorish assholes) reflect negatively upon (ignorant) peoples' views of ALL Gun Owners & the 2nd Amendment.

Thereby harming the cause of preserving the 2nd Amendment far more than helping it.

If you're going to carry a gun, do so responsibly & respectfully - don't be an asshole.

Something to which I completely agree...
View Quote

Yep.

And yet so completely different than what came across in the OP...
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top