Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2016 1:13:37 PM EDT
My name is Bryan and as the title says I am new to the area and I wanted to say hi. I used to own a number of firearms, but a few years ago I had to sell most of them off for financial reasons. Now I am getting to the point where I can afford to pick up a few things and I was wondering what are some good shops in the metro area? I am interested in finding a Scar 16s as well as the new Beretta m9a3. Does anybody know any FN or Beretta dealers that I could place an order with or has anybody spotted either of these two in the metro area? Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#1]
There are a few dealers around the metro.  There is one north of the metro that would be good to look at, Element Arms.  I don't know any specific Beretta or FN dealers though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to MN.

Looks like you traded CO for here.

Not sure if you made a great choice or not . Our gun laws are better, but just as many pot smoking hippies. Our gov't always leans democrat, and our current governor (Governor Mumbles) is a paid for Bloomberg moron. Still not sure how he got elected. I'm told our weather sucks more, but you get 3ft blizzards when it is supposed to be spring. Our winters have been mild lately. Mud tires SUCK in snow, just as an FYI. If you are still running CO mud tires, get them swapped before winter.

Water is everywhere, go ahead and have a drink. No stupid water laws here. Lakes are more open to do what you reasonably want. There is a 50mph speed limit for boats, and some laws about not being an ass on a jetski. Fishing is infinitely better, especially if you like to catch things other than trout.

Make sure you remember you are not superman. Yes, we actually have oxygen here, so you will feel great until you acclimate. If you miss the mountains and want to get a view, head out to Powder Ridge. About the best we've got . Up north is awesome if you like outdoor stuff. Check out the North Shore at some point.

Those screens on your windows serve a purpose here. Mosquitoes aren't out yet mostly, but the little bastards will eat you alive if you give them a chance. Stay away from anything wet and swampy or dense trees anytime when it is warm (as in summer until fall), and especially during the evening/night. I've found most mosquitoes tend to settle down after about 1am, if you are a night owl.

Things grow here, so if you happen to be where you have a yard, gardens are actually worthwhile.

Make sure you get your Permit to Carry. We are shall issue. Unless you have a record, you get your permit. Won't be good in CO, they take nobody's permit (bastards). You will need this or a permit to purchase (free) to get anything worth buying.

Our caucus system sucks. Sorry about that.

So, Welcome to Minnesota. Pay your stupidly high taxes, and join the Minnesota Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance and Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus.

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for all of that information. Do you know if I have a current (or I should say it was current until I received a minnesota DL) Colorado carry permit card, do I still need to take the concealed carry class here before I apply for a concealed permit?
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#4]
What ever you do, don't ask about places to shoot long range. We have a serious asshole here to preach his wisdom. Look at the other thread. Just pm someone. Others will be happy to help. My daughter lives in colorado. Up by steamboat springs. Love the country side. Hope you enjoy fishing. Lakes everywhere. Small to extremely large fish to choose from. Plenty of shooting matches to choose from. As was mentioned, we have a fucktard for a governor. Gives you an idea how many idiots we have in this state to vote for such a dumb ass. Welcome to Minnesota. Oh, state bird is mosquito. Little bastards gang up on you!
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:47:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you for all of that information. Do you know if I have a current (or I should say it was current until I received a minnesota DL) Colorado carry permit card, do I still need to take the concealed carry class here before I apply for a concealed permit?
View Quote

Yes, you will.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to MN Bryan.

Element has been good to me, I've also gone to Arnzen Arms but don't know either shops' status on Beretta or FN products.  Best to check their website or give either shop a call.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yes, you will.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, you will.
I would recommend NOT going with Plain Cents (or however he spells it) from Waconia. I took his class for my renewal, what a joke. There is a reason that in the class, it was only me and 1 other guy there for renewal. And the newbies weren't doing themselves any favors.

Never seen a guy advocate the ultimate stopping power of .22lr

Mods, feel free to delete this post if it violates rules.

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would recommend NOT going with Plain Cents (or however he spells it) from Waconia. I took his class for my renewal, what a joke. There is a reason that in the class, it was only me and 1 other guy there for renewal. And the newbies weren't doing themselves any favors.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, you will.

I'll avoid him. I took a class in Colorado and it took both my Dad and myself 6 months to get our certificates from the LEO that ran our concealed class. Thanks for the info.

Quoted:
Welcome to MN Bryan.

Element has been good to me, I've also gone to Arnzen Arms but don't know either shops' status on Beretta or FN products.  Best to check their website or give either shop a call.

Thanks, I'll look into them both,

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 3:25:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I went with Chandler Conceal and Carry.  He goes all around the joint and I dropped a few Arfcom jokes at my last reup (speaking of which I will have to do again before next year)

Chandler's calender

Ask him 9 vs 45 and beans or no beans.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#10]
The Carry inatructor in Anoka was a good class, no nonsense no BS and he routinely has 2 for 1 specials, so if you have a Mrs, it makes it much cheaper.  They have a little shop and FFL, but they don't have regular store hours for the public. Shop is mainly there for student convenience. Haven't used them so I don't know what transfer fees etc are but their prices look like they are in line with everyone else.

Element is where you need to go if you want an awesome store with a fair amount of everything.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Fullmetaledges, where are you located at?  There is a carry instructor in Ramsey that was good.  I did the refresher course through them.  Total Defense is the name of the gun store.  Smaller store with a 25yd range, but nice people.  Range is real nice for being only 25yds.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I am in Plymouth. I'll have to check out Element arms once my Minnesota background check comes back hopefully sometime this week.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#13]
What is the general wait times to get a purchase permit back irregardless to what the law actually states? I've had one in to the Plymouth PD for 9 business days.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:26:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Just moving into the state, I would say a few weeks, depending on the dept.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:40:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

What is the general wait times to get a purchase permit back irregardless to what the law actually states? I've had one in to the Plymouth PD for 9 business days.
View Quote
The law says 10 days. With my last permit to purchase, I went to the police station after close to three weeks to ask what was going on. They told me that it was sent out, but that they could print up a replacement when they print their next batch, and that they would hold onto it so I could pick it up in person. I had it in my hands the next day.

About a week later, I get the original PTP in the mail, with a postage date stamp from a few weeks prior. I only live 15 miles from the station...

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:13:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The law says 10 days. With my last permit to purchase, I went to the police station after close to three weeks to ask what was going on. They told me that it was sent out, but that they could print up a replacement when they print their next batch, and that they would hold onto it so I could pick it up in person. I had it in my hands the next day.

About a week later, I get the original PTP in the mail, with a postage date stamp from a few weeks prior. I only live 15 miles from the station...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:49:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

They never send that shit out until the last possible moment. Same with CCWs
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Where is a good place to get a transfer sent to?
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote
I've had good luck with Atomic Tactical in Bloomington.

Link Posted: 6/4/2016 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is where I get my transfers through.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do my transfers at Burnsville Pistol Range but I've bought quite a bit of stuff at Atomic, mostly NFA.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:There is a 50mph speed limit for boats, and some laws about not being an ass on a jetski.
View Quote

Just a note that this is incorrect.  Unless specifically stated per individual lake in the DNR local use restrictions guide - Minnesota Lake and River Use Restriction Summary, there isn't a speed limit on MN lakes.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Just a note that this is incorrect.  Unless specifically stated per individual lake in the DNR local use restrictions guide - Minnesota Lake and River Use Restriction Summary, there isn't a speed limit on MN lakes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:There is a 50mph speed limit for boats, and some laws about not being an ass on a jetski.

Thank you for the clarification. Do most of you go to ranges or do you know of places on public land? I prefer to shoot on public land but I'm having a hard time figuring out where exactly to go.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Shooting Ranges
Public land is probably only going to be State Forest land?  Some of have talked about it in the past.

Outdoor public ranges are basically non-existent.
Closest in the Metro would be Oakdale having public hours in summer.
There are plenty of clubs.

But, most only take on new members at the beginning of the year.  Some have waiting lists.  Some require sponsorship etc.
But, there are some clubs that are straight forward.
But, you have to drive.....
The club out in Hutch (Gopher Campfire)  and Cokato (Rainbow Sportsman) have nice fee structures and no work requirements pay the dues and you are done.
There are other clubs that have work requirements and or pay a higher renewel fee.
The clubs with the longer ranges are more geared towards competitive shooting like High Power, Palma, F-Class, and International shooting.  Some have indoor heated areas for use in cooler conditions.  One has electronic target scoring.
Many clubs host shooting disciplines like USPSA, IDPA, and so for those events are open to the public.

You have once club with 1K range Gopher up at Harris,  2 600yd ranges Elk River Sportsman's Club and North Star north of Red Wing a tad.  
Forest Lake has 400 yds  I believe, Elko (Richfield VFW Post 435) I believe goes to 200, Faribault goes to 600 but may be down for reconstruction, Minnetonka Game & Fish at St. Francis goes to 300 yds on international range, Oakdale goes to 200, Minnetonka Sportsmans club goes 100.  Horse and Hunt goes 200?, Dakota County goes to 300, and there are other I am missing like Beaverbrook, Delano, Monticello, and some of the sporting clays places have ranges.

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Again thank you all for the great info that I have received here. I really appreciate it,
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Welcome, from western Minnesota.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I stand corrected. When I took my boater's safety, it was in the manual of a 50mph limit. But that was YEARS ago

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top