Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2016 11:44:55 AM EDT
Looking to find an excellent 1911 Pistolsmith in Minnesota.

Just bought my first 1911 (Colt Delta Elite) used and the pistol has some issues well beyond my meager skills.

If you know of one, please post in this thread, or IM me, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Someone might be better able to point you towards someone who can help if you could explain what issues you have experienced.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 2:27:46 PM EDT
[#2]
What's the issue with it?
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 3:26:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Hammer follow.

Since it is going to the shop I plan on having the smith mill the frame to accommodate install of ramped match barrel with fully supported chamber and a 20lpi checker of the grip (and a re-blue will be needed due to the work).
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Palmer Raysor
4110 Main Street
St. Bonifacious MN 55375
952 446 1435

He is located around back and down the hill (read underneath) the Gun Stop in St. Boni.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:27:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Palmer Raysor
4110 Main Street
St. Bonifacious MN 55375
952 446 1435

He is located around back and down the hill (read underneath) the Gun Stop in St. Boni.
View Quote

Is he still taking custom jobs? Last I checked with him he had a huge backlog.

I got tired of pestering him and bit the bullet and sent my pistol elsewhere.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input so far.

Anyone else have any input on this topic?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a cheaper solution but you're not going to like it...
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Post it here...even if I won't like it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:05:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Going to guess.  Buy a glock?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:29:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my guess, too.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#11]
i'm betting --- CZ is the same as the 1911
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's my guess, too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my guess, too.

Yeah, Glock will shoot out of the box with no modifications and my CZ75B is the best double stack 1911 ever made!

So predictible, I know...
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah, Glock will shoot out of the box with no modifications and my CZ75B is the best double stack 1911 ever made!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my guess, too.

The pistol in question was purchased off of GunBroker, mods were supposedly done by a pro gunsmith (by their good quality, I believe this to be so). However, there is some incombatibity in the fire control group parts resulting in hammer follow.

Given the dearth of 1911 gunsmiths in MN, I'll be attempting the repairs myself...not like I can make it any more useless than it already is.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#15]
It appears I've been able to solve the hammer follow problem.

Sully, you were on track with regard to the disconnector. The issue was manifold, and all the fire control group parts were involved to some degree.

Here is what I did (summary):

• Replaced, Trigger, Hammer, Sear, Disconnector with new parts from Wilson's Bullet Proof line of components.

• Replaced Sear Spring (Triple leaf spring) with a Clark "Custom Sear Spring" (the disconnector leaf is bifurcated on the Clark spring).

• I had to fit the existing thumb safety to the new sear, this was done slowly and iteratively with a file and several test fits and function tests (what a putzy pain in the ass, but I did not want to get this step wrong and create a dangerous malfunctioning thumb safety sear block).

• I had to fit the new disconnector by filing off the shoulders of the plunger portion of the disconnector to make sure the disconnector engaged the slide recess properly, otherwise the shoulders were too wide and the disconnector acted like the slide was out of battery, blocking trigger pull, (I was able to use the previous disconnector as a model for how much material to remove and get this step done in one try).

Here is the current state:

• All function tests pass, (including the hammer follow test), but I have not test fired the pistol yet. I may do that today, if I complete all chores and family duties first.

What I think was wrong:
Several things appeared to be interacting, but each alone seemed to prevent proper function and allow hammer follow.

• The sear spring did not engage the sear or the disconnector properly, the previous owner or his gunsmith stoned the disconnector leaf top to smooth engagement. It looks like they stoned too much off, rather than just adjusting the angle of the engagement. This in turn shortened the center leaf spring enough to allow the pistol to not always disconnect properly and explains some of the frequent hammer follow and occasional double fire.

• The sear shelf on the trigger was slightly shorter than 0.020" and not perpendicular to the trigger (past 90-degrees) allowing the sear to slip off the shelf. In addition, the hook of the half-cock shelf was completely ground off, and the remaining shelf appeared to be too shallow.

• The engagement surface on the sear was well honed, but it appears too much was taken off and the sear is ever so slightly too short to properly engage the hammer sear shelf (so the trigger was already following the slide for that ever so small 0.00x" or so, and the hammer momentum along with the improper sear shelf height and angle allowed the hammer to slip past the sear rather than engage it). I did not measure the distance from the sear's pin hole to the sear engagement surface, so I admit that I'm speculating on this one.

To be able to do this myself, I ordered several books to study up on the 1911, but the biggest help was YouTube videos and many cycles of disassemble/fit/reassemble/test to understand the part functions and interactions.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I have used Ahlmans in Morristown.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have used Ahlmans in Morristown.
View Quote

Looks like a nice list of options for custon Pistolsmith work. Thank you for posting the link.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top