Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2016 4:42:38 PM EDT
She filed her gun grabbing bill today.

Zero change it gets past Tony, but there are other ways to get in in effect.

Full of universal registration, 28 day waiting period, mandatory training, mandatory storage requirements.

Get ready to fend it off again folks.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Ridiculous
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:42:25 PM EDT
[#2]
If I am correct she is not going to run for re-election this year.  Of course someone else will take her place.  They always do.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder how much Bloomberg is paying her.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.gunowners.mn/norton  I got sent this link today from a political friend of mine.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I wonder if we can find a jurisdiction in MN where we could file charges against idiot gun grabbers like this...

Relevant Federal law.

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 12:54:35 PM EDT
[#6]
sent another email.  asked her how this will affect anyone owning a gun illegally.  she won't care but it makes me feel better.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Got an email back from her:

"The focus of the bill is on reducing suicides, impulse shootings and accidental gun deaths!

There is no registration, just expanding background checks.

There are minor additions to current trainings.

Addressing safety concerns should be welcomed by responsible gun owners!!!

Kim

Your lobby group is doing you a great disservice by misinforming you!"
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 8:16:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Screw this bitch and the other idiots putting the bills on the table to mess with the 2nd amendment. Joined Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus today! Was going to wait until my NRA membership expired but decided it was time to join to help stop the idiots..
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#9]
There are multiple anti-gun bills filed.  I guess we get to fight again, like we did a couple years ago.  If you aren't a member of all of our local gun rights organizations, join!  Donate!  Talk to family, friends, and co-workers if you can and get people to call and email.  Show up to the capitol when the bills go to committee.  Make the capitol look like a Trump rally.  Thousands of people all wearing maroon GOCRA shirts would be a wonderful sight to see.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:48:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I plan on heading to the Capital on March 10th.  GOCRA day!
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I plan on being there also.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will also be there.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I will also be there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will also be there.

Me too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#14]
This could be easily enough verified by looking up the bill and reading through it.  Then I guess we'll see who's actually spreading the disinformation about what's in it...

Quoted:
Got an email back from her:

"The focus of the bill is on reducing suicides, impulse shootings and accidental gun deaths!

Addressing safety concerns should be welcomed by responsible gun owners!!!

Kim

Your lobby group is doing you a great disservice by misinforming you!"
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2016 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Sigh.

The focus of the bill is on reducing suicides, impulse shootings and accidental gun deaths!

No, the focus of the bill is on reducing lawful gun ownership and criminalizing as many ordinary citizens as possible.

No, HF 2415 is a vehicle for creating a future registration scheme, as well as a mechanism to allow confiscation starting in limited circumstances today.  It is a foot in the door and we must not allow it to happen.

HF 2415 criminalizes private transfer.  All transfers of pistols or "semiautomatic military-style assault weapons" must be done through an FFL.  HF 2416 requires you to be an FFL (or use one) to transfer more than three firearms of any kind per year.  Both bills require that if the transferee fails the background check, the seller must then undergo a background check to get their firearm back.  If that fails, the FFL is required to transfer the firearm to law enforcement.  Way to go, confiscating and removing guns from circulation via unlawful taking.

HF 2416 allows exclusions for antiques and curiosities, inheritance, court orders, repair, teacher to student loans in an "approved" training course (what about the transfer back from student to teacher?), loans at exhibitions and hunting or target shooting, and a few others.  HF 2415 allows no such exclusions for antiques or inheritance, nor does it allow exclusions for loans other than hunting or target shooting.  There is no exclusion for transfers between family members (husband & wife, parent & child, etc) in either bill.  There is no exclusion for transfers for purpose of defense (of self or of dwelling).  Imagine that.  It's almost like they don't want you using firearms to defend yourself.  Huh.

Both bills limit the fees FFLs may charge, making it less likely over time that all FFLs will be wiling to do transfers as they become less profitable.  If they can get FFLs to start refusing to do transfers, it will make it harder for gun owners to comply with the law and more likely they will break it and therefore be subject to arrest and prosecution.

HF 2415 makes it a FELONY if you transfer a pistol or "assault rifle" to someone who commits a felony crime of violence within one year.

Both these bills pertain to "transfer", which is simply change of possession.  A transfer occurs when you sell, give, or loan a firearm to someone else. This is just like I-594 in Washington state.  They want to be able to nail you every time you hand a gun to someone else without doing a background check.

The idea that they are happy with "just expanding background checks" is ludicrous.  if this goes through, they will immediately identify a "Gun Transfer Loophole" where the true owner of a given firearm cannot be determined.  They will push to close this "Gun Transfer Loophole" by requiring mandatory registration of all firearms, so that law enforcement can tell if every gun you touch is really your gun or not.  Like New York State.

No, HF 2415 seeks to create additional burdens and mandates on transfers and use of firearms in an effort to make it harder to people to transfer guns and use them.

HF 2415 mandates safety training (including safe storage training) as well as proof of safety training prior to transferring a firearm.

HF 2415 requires "safe storage" of firearms when not in use.  Safe storage requires the firearm to be unloaded with a locking device (trigger lock, safe, etc) and stored separately from ammunition.  "In use" is not defined, so it is unclear if "in use" includes carry, although logically it should.  There is no explicit exclusion for persons with Permits to Carry.  It is also unclear if "in use" includes a home defense weapon stored in ready condition outside a locked container.  It is entirely possible Rep Norton wishes to outlaw and criminalize you being prepared to defend yourself inside your own home.

Your lobby group is doing you a great disservice by misinforming you!

No, our lobby group is doing everyone a great service by seeing through these proposals and realizing they will not only do nothing to address the stated concerns, they will in fact create all kinds of problems for law-abiding gun owners.

Speaking of misinformation, HF 2415 wrongly describes the proposed increase in PTP timeframe from 7 to 28 days as an increase in "waiting period".  Minnesota does not have a "waiting period" in this context.  The 7 day timeframe is a maximum limit (deadline) for the police to issue the permit.  It is not a mandatory waiting period, although if you live in Dakota County you will undoubtedly be waiting the full 28 days if this passes.

Don't forget HF 2580 which doesn't have her name on it but it's the Terrorism Watchlist bill.  You're a prohibited person if you get on that list.  Don't ask how you get on it, they won't tell you.  Don't ask who's on it, they won't tell you.  Don't ask how to get off of it, they won't tell you.  But you are definitely prohibited and should not have guns.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Me too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will also be there.

Me too.

Making the trip up North again also
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow, to reduce suicides ?

Im sure someone whos set on killing themselves wont wait the 28 day waiting period.

reduce accidental shootings ?  wow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top