Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2015 8:28:04 PM EDT
Currently in the Hutchinson area. Would not be in town, looking at 40+ acres, but looks like Alex would be our main shopping town.

So what is it like up there? How is the sheriff, what kind of shops available around (I see there is a Fleet Farm and Menards, which is GREAT), particularly for natural foods?

What is the crime like? Local culture?

Hit me with whatever may be helpful!

Oh, my business doesn't care where I live, as it comes with me, so jobs aren't an issue.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm over in Todd County, about 45 miles away from Alex. We used to shop there quite a bit but the last few years we've been going to Brainerd.

Alex seems to be doing well economically. They just put up a new school and there always seems to be a lot of new construction. It is a big resort area so it is definitely busy in the summer.

On the down side their crime rates seem like they've exploded. Armed robberies and just recently the girl that was apparently kidnapped and killed (still no one arrested).

Here's the newspaper: http://www.echopress.com/news
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh, and one other thing I am looking for: How good are the conditions for growing? We would be having a small dairy herd and about 10 acres of crops: mix of cereals and table vegetables.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#3]
In 'general' the soils south of I94 are heavier and have fewer rocks, and you'll pay more. North of I94 there is more variability, from beach sand, to heavy soil, to a lot of rock (like you better have a skid loader).
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, keep it coming!
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I live near Wendell, MN, 43 miles directly west of Alexandria (10 miles south of Fergus Falls).  Alexandria was right in the middle of dairy country in the 70's.  Small farms, and a lot of old barns still standing that are no longer in use.  I doubt it will be difficult to find a hobby farm a few miles out.  I would look north and west of Alexandria for hobby farm land.  It is probably a little sandy, and I am not a realtor, so my advice is worth what you paid for it.  ;-)

Link Posted: 12/5/2015 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Not sure about the current sheriff but the previous one, Bill Ingebrigtsen was a good conservative guy and is now a state senator. It used to be a pretty conservative town govt, school boards and politically.  I'm not sure if that's changed as I haven't lived there for 15 years but it used to be.

It has all the modern stores you can want. Target, Walmart,  Menards, Fleet Farm, fast food and restaurants, a shopping mall etc.  A lot more than most towns of that size but it gets a lot of summer tourist traffic.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 10:34:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I live in the downtown area in the older residential home area east of Broadway.  Good town with lots of manufacturing employment opportunities(I work @ 3M).  Crime has risen some ways as we are seeing some more Minneapolis people moving into town.  There was a recent arrest @ 5th and Broadway for a assault/ dispute with a discharge of a handgun by person (BLM) with criminal record.  People from here are very nice and it still feels small town in someways.  I grew up in suburbs of Mpls but parents have had a lake place near here since 1981.  Sheriff department seems good, had no problems with permits.  They even have horseback posse that volunteers help with.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I know its an old thread..but im new here. I live in the Alexandria area. Outside Alex in a smaller rural town..i work in Alex tho.
Its a good town, lots of manufacturing and nursing jobs.

If u have any other questions,  hit me up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top