Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2015 11:07:39 PM EDT
Under section 609.67, subdivision 4, it states the following...

"persons possessing machine guns or short-barreled shotguns which, although designed as weapons, have been determined by the superintendent of the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension or the superintendent's delegate by reason of the date of manufacture, value, design or other characteristics to be primarily collector's items, relics, museum pieces or objects of curiosity, ornaments or keepsakes, and are not likely to be used as weapons"

Accordingly, it seems private ownership is restricted to curios and relics.  What defines a full auto firearm as a curio or relic in accordance with Minnesota statutes?  Better yet... Is there a list of "Minnesota legal" full autos posted someplace?

Expensive to acquire.  Expensive to feed.  But it's all part of it, right?  Any help / guidance would be appreciated...  

Link Posted: 10/29/2015 11:17:49 PM EDT
[#1]
There should be a list on the BATF website. They decide which NFA items are classified as C&R.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 1:03:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 1:10:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Here, I think this helps:

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/rules/?id=7500.5100

7500.5100 DEFINITIONS.
Subpart 1. Scope.

For the purpose of parts 7500.5100 to 7500.5600, the following terms have the meanings given them.
Subp. 2. Approved machine gun or short-barrelled shotgun.

"Approved machine gun or short-barrelled shotgun" means a machine gun or short-barrelled shotgun that, although designed as a weapon, has been determined by the superintendent as not likely to be used as a weapon and that has been determined by the superintendent to appear on the National Firearms Act Curios and Relics List, as provided by United States Code, title 18, chapter 44, and as issued by the Department of the Treasury, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (Washington, D.C.).
Subp. 3. Bureau.
View Quote

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios-relics

Firearms automatically attain C&R status when they are 50 years old. Any firearm that is at least 50 years old, and in its original configuration, would qualify as a C&R firearm. It is not necessary for such firearms to be listed in ATF's C&R list. Therefore, ATF does not generally list firearms in the C&R publication by virtue of their age. However, if you wish for a classification of your particular firearm under categories (b) or (c) above and wish your item to be listed, you may submit the weapon to the Firearms and Ammunition Technology Division (FATD) for a formal classification.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2015 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget you need to have C&R FFL 03.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:12:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't forget you need to have C&R FFL 03.
View Quote

Really?  Hadn't ever heard that before.  I mean, it's cheap and easy, but I've never run across that requirement before.  Can you post a citation for it?

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#6]
You do not need a C&R license to own a C&R machine gun. C&R licenses allow you to bypass the dealer when receiving C&R eligible Title 1 firearms. The Title 2 nature of fully automatic firearms requires them to go through a proper class 3 dealer and your C&R license does not enter into the equation at all.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:18:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the info/links!!

I've found a few dealers and I've been doing my research on each and every one...  Are there any you recommend?  How about those to completely avoid?  What sort of guns will I be looking for?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What sort of guns will I be looking for?
View Quote

The C&R cut off is 50 years from date of manufacture; for a Title 1 example, a Wilson Combat 1911 made last year will not be C&R but an actual 100 year old WW1 GI issued 1911 will be C&R. You can look at early subguns, like the Sten, or anything else manufactured over 50 years ago. Search around on subguns and sturmgewehr to get an idea for what's out there, how much it all costs, and which ones are C&R.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nfa4sale.cgi
http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#9]
A C&R FFL is not needed to own C&R Full Auto. It does however make it easier to transport C&R full auto across state lines without prior permission from the BATF
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Again...  Thanks much for all the info!

After seeing what's available (and legal here), I'm going to bank the cash and wait until I move to a more "full auto" friendly state...  For me personally, I see no benefit in buying a five figure firearm that would realistically be a far second choice at best.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For me personally, I see no benefit in buying a five figure firearm that would realistically be a far second choice at best.
View Quote

Different strokes. You don't have to spend five figures; starter machine guns like a Mac will be 5-8k. A Sten would be one of my first choices.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Different strokes. You don't have to spend five figures; starter machine guns like a Mac will be 5-8k. A Sten would be one of my first choices.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For me personally, I see no benefit in buying a five figure firearm that would realistically be a far second choice at best.

Macs are not C&R but an original Sten is. Reisings, S&W 76s, Madsen M-50s, even some M16/M14s are C&R and allowed in MN and more and more newer model auto guns will be every year.  Still would be nice to ditch the C&R requirement for FA and SBS someday now that suppressors went through.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Macs are not C&R but an original Sten is. Reisings, S&W 76s, Madsen M-50s, even some M16/M14s are C&R and allowed in MN and more and more newer model auto guns will be every year.  Still would be nice to ditch the C&R requirement for FA and SBS someday now that suppressors went through.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right about Macs, although I was using them as an example of four figure machine guns. I should have been more clear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top