Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2015 1:01:23 PM EDT

Update 10/26: We have been living in Roseville since the beginning of the month have started attending open houses.  We visited 3 open houses in Rosemount, Lakeville, and Apple Valley this weekend.  It seemed like a nice area and found houses within our budget.  We are going to visit some more open houses this weekend and wanted to focus on the North East part of the Twin Cities this weekend.  I was thinking to look at houses in Maplewood, Lake Elmo, White Bear Lake, Mahtomedi.  

We have adjusted our budget to try to get a home below $235,000.  I need to get a home with 3+ bedrooms, 2 car garage, and decent sized kitchen.  We would like to have .4 acres or more with the ability to build a workshop later down the road.  Any advise on some other areas to check out?

I also connected with mcnielsen and we will be working with him to do our mortgage.

I was just offered a new job in Minneapolis.  I will be relocating from Eau Claire, WI and had a few questions.

I have several AR15s, handguns, and a form 1 suppressor on a family trust.  Any advise on how these items are handled in Minnesota?  I believe you need a permit to purchase handguns but I'm unsure on how that work to bring in things from out of state that you already own.  My understanding is that suppressors and SBRs are now legal in Minnesota.

Any advise on good ranges in the area?  I currently visit ranges in Menomonie WI and Augusta WI.  

My new job will require more air travel and our relocation to Minneapolis is to improve my ability to travel more effectively with the use of the MSP airport.  Any advise on which areas would be best to live in?  We are planning to rent for 3 months and then purchase a house.  I'd like to purchase a 3 bedroom home with some type of a backyard for under 200k.  I was looking at Cottage Grove, Woodbury seems a bit yuppy and expensive for my taste and Eagan I believe is more expensive then Woodbury.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I would recommend Oakdale Gun club for great places to go shooting.

As far as places to live, that depends on a lot.  I do mortgage financing but would frankly recommend renting for at least 6 months until you get a feel for what you like/don't like about the city: ESPECIALLY when thinking of buying in the suburbs.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:46:06 PM EDT
[#2]
The east metro is expensive to buy homes in and even more expensive to rent in.  For your needs, your going to have a hard time over here.  Maybe look in Elko New Market?  Off 35, easy route to MSP.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:15:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, if you are working in the City of Mpls, you may want to consider how long your commute might be.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#4]
If I was traveling by air a lot, I would probably look at somewhere like Apple Valley, Burnsville, Lakeville or Rosemount. I like the Southwestern metro as well, but that is farther.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I was traveling by air a lot, I would probably look at somewhere like Apple Valley, Burnsville, Lakeville or Rosemount.
View Quote

This I'm in Burnsville just blocks from Eagan and easy commute to the airport or either city.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on south metro.  I'm in Lakeville, easy trip to the airport and Minneapolis.  I work just south of downtown and it takes me about 30 minutes to get there, but I also start at 7am so i beat most of rush hour.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:38:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm out by Rosemont/ Vermillion, and it is an easy 25 minute drive to the airport. I know because I work there .
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:17:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you all for the suggestions.  We are going to spend a lot of time in cities this weekend checking out places to sublease.  I think we are going to be a little more open to where we want to move to.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:54:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I live in Shoreview. It's a really nice place. 20ish minute drive to the airport and very convenient to both cities. Just throwing that out there.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Lakeville here as well.  Apple valley and burnsville are becoming more and more ghetto.  Stupid transit center and bus lines-bringing the hood to you.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I live in cg.  Moved here from eagan.

Eagan will run you around 230-250 for a 3-4 bedroom with a 1/4 acre yard.  Woodbury around the same.  Cg a bit less.  You could probably get something decent in the low 200s.  Real estate picked up to pre crash levels around here.

I'm partial to southeast metro.  Southwest is nice too.  North metro is very popular but is not for me.  Would not consider unless I worked up there.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Shout out for Rosemount... love it here
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 4:08:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Eagan will run you around 230-250 for a 3-4 bedroom with a 1/4 acre yard.  Woodbury around the same.  Cg a bit less.  You could probably get something decent in the low 200s.  Real estate picked up to pre crash levels around here.

I'm partial to southeast metro.  Southwest is nice too.  North metro is very popular but is not for me.  Would not consider unless I worked up there.
View Quote

Keep preaching man. Don't want my north metro overrun with crazy Eagan and Edina suburbanites.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Keep preaching man. Don't want my north metro overrun with crazy Eagan and Edina suburbanites.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Just found an apartment in Roseville that we will be living in for 6 months.  Any advise on a mortgage broker to work with?  I would like to get preapproved for a mortgage in January.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 12:03:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just found an apartment in Roseville that we will be living in for 6 months.  Any advise on a mortgage broker to work with?  I would like to get preapproved for a mortgage in January.  
View Quote

Sweet, we'll be neighbors.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

You might want to IM mcnielsen

ETA:  And we'll also sorta be neighbors
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, thanks, Jakezor!
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yeah, thanks, Jakezor!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, thanks, Jakezor!

Now wait a damn minute here...
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, thanks, Jakezor!

Huh?
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Update 10/26: We have been living in Roseville since the beginning of the month have started attending open houses. We visited 3 open houses in Rosemount, Lakeville, and Apple Valley this weekend. It seemed like a nice area and found houses within our budget. We are going to visit some more open houses this weekend and wanted to focus on the North East part of the Twin Cities this weekend. I was thinking to look at houses in Maplewood, Lake Elmo, White Bear Lake, Mahtomedi.

We have adjusted our budget to try to get a home below $235,000. I need to get a home with 3+ bedrooms, 2 car garage, and decent sized kitchen. We would like to have .4 acres or more with the ability to build a workshop later down the road. Any advise on some other areas to check out?

I also connected with mcnielsen and we will be working with him to do our mortgage.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#22]
If you are willing to go just a little further out of town, past Apple Valley and Lakeville, you can probably find what you are looking for.

I'm south of Rosemount, in a house like you are describing, for under $200K.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 11:14:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you are willing to go just a little further out of town, past Apple Valley and Lakeville, you can probably find what you are looking for.

I'm south of Rosemount, in a house like you are describing, for under $200K.
View Quote

South is the best direction
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 12:09:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Another + for Lakeville/Elko New Market.

My family loves the South metro. Great place to be.

Dero1548
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 12:56:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Not sure if you've thought about Stillwater before but it's not too far from the cities. It's a beautiful city with a great community to back it up. And you're right on the St. Croix river which has some great fishing
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 1:44:16 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Not sure if you've thought about Stillwater before but it's not too far from the cities. It's a beautiful city with a great community to back it up. And you're right on the St. Croix river which has some great fishing
View Quote

Its definitely in the cards.  I ate at Marx Fusion Bistro about 2 weeks ago and they are pretty awesome.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 1:50:21 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Another + for Lakeville/Elko New Market.

My family loves the South metro. Great place to be.

Dero1548
View Quote
I wasn't familiar with Elko New Market.  Seems to have some nice houses for the money but a lot of them are already pending.  I'll need to visit one of these weekends.  

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:15:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Any opinions on Anoka or Ramsey?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

City or county?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 4:38:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
City or county?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

City or county?
Either or.  Just looking at the general area.  

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Lake Elmo is a nice area, But a lot of people that live in there are fighting the City Council. The city want's to develop the area and most people want it left as is.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 3:57:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Anoka and Ramsey (city, not county, the two are not close, surprisingly) is a pretty decent area, but commuting from there is kinda sucky if you have to cross the river.  The 169 bridge is a disaster every day heading south in the morning and north in the afternoon, which means if you work in Maple Grove/Plymouth/Brooklyn Park, you're going to be sitting in traffic.  

I live in Dayton, right on the other side of the river, and you can probably find what you're looking for in your price range, and not have to deal with the traffic.  It's pretty rural out here yet, and there are definitely lots out there where you could build an outbuilding.

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:51:28 PM EDT
[#33]
This thread is awesome.

I am in the process of interviewing for a job in St Paul, looking on Zillow for a place to rent and then buy right now.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Traffic in the north and west suburbs sucks ass.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

This thread is awesome.

I am in the process of interviewing for a job in St Paul, looking on Zillow for a place to rent and then buy right now.
View Quote
Downtown St. Paul, or the surrounding area?

Also, stay away from East St. Paul.

Link Posted: 1/11/2016 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#36]
As an update I purchased a home in Lakeville.  When it warms up a bit I need to find a range.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
As an update I purchased a home in Lakeville.  When it warms up a bit I need to find a range.  
View Quote

Indoor ranges at Gander and Burnsville Pistol Range.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Congrats!  Glad it worked out for you.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 12:36:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread is awesome.

Looking in the Woodbury area. The office would be in downtown St Paul. I was told to look at Woodbury, Lake Elmo, Hastings, or Hudson.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Looking in the Woodbury area. The office would be in downtown St Paul. I was told to look at Woodbury, Lake Elmo, Hastings, or Hudson.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread is awesome.

I work just south of the river and downtown Saint Paul. I live in Burnsville. Traffic is usually not an issue the commute from the south is easy. I'd be looking for Inver Grove, Eagan, Rosemount, Burnsville...

Also I lived in downtown Saint Paul for a couple years. I lived at the Cosmopolitan apartments. Rent was reasonable and I had parking, something to consider. http://www.cosmopolitansaintpaul.com/
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Also I lived in downtown Saint Paul for a couple years. I lived at the Cosmopolitan apartments. Rent was reasonable and I had parking, something to consider. http://www.cosmopolitansaintpaul.com/
View Quote

+1.  I own in Saint Paul, although not downtown.  If you want to rent I would just get a place near your work and take your time deciding which suburb to buy a house in.  Unless you're willing to spend big bucks, renting in the suburbs is likely to expose you to the same elements that people leave the city to get away from, plus you'll have the commute.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Welcome to Lakeville.  It is a pretty nice area.  I've lived throughout most of the metro and have settled here.  Commute on 35E is much better than 35W.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats great!

Check out faribault Rifle and Pistol Club.

And you can also go to burnsville pistol range for something closer.

And Dakota Co gun club is a option for you.

Where about in lakeville?
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#44]
I accepted a job offer last night, should be moving to St Paul area in mid March

We've been looking for homes in the Woodbury and Hudson area. Not too much in the war of options but we found some interesting leads.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I accepted a job offer last night, should be moving to St Paul area in mid March

We've been looking for homes in the Woodbury and Hudson area. Not too much in the war of options but we found some interesting leads.

View Quote

Congrats!  If you're looking at Woodbury, look at cottage grove as well.  Slightly cheaper than Woodbury.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top