Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2015 10:43:07 PM EDT
I recently moved back into Minnesota and I am currently living in the twin cities area. I have been looking at joining a range preferably one that allows rifles and has a range longer then 100 yards.

Does anyone know anything about the Rainbow Sportsman Club out in Cokato, MN?

They appear to have a decent size range and that small club feel I am looking for but it looks like the website hasn't been updated in a year.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:57:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Oakdale Gun Club just north of Woodbury
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome!
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you been a long time lurker grew up in MN finally have the income to expand my selection but need to find a good range first.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Rainbow Sportsmans Club is small, and it can be flooded out in the spring at times, and a few summers ago it was flooded out.  But, you can back up to 300 yds.  There was, probably still is no work requirement.  But, the membership is reasonable.  

There are places with longer ranges but, like at Elk River shooting beyond 300 yds requires a couple of people.
Plus club certification and permission of the club kd range chairperson.

They run F Class Monday nights and XTC HP on Tuesdays?  The season is about over.  Membership requires sponsorship and is not really a problem.

North Star down just north of Red Wing is a High Power range to 600 yds.
Fairbault Gun Club goes out 600 yds down by Kilkenny
Gopher Rifle and Revolver goes out to 1000 yds north of Harris
Forest Lake Gun Club goes out to 400 yds
Dakota County Gun Club goes out to 300 yds down in Rosemont.
Minneapolis Rifle Club and Minnetonka Game and Fish goes out to 300 meters at Nowthen
Minnetonka Sportsmans Club goes out to 100 yds out in Mound
Horse and Hunt goes out to 300 yds or in Prior Lake
Oakdale goes 200 yds

Oakdale has public hours.
The rest of the above clubs have memberships only usually open memberships in the spring after people do not renew or fail to meet requirements.

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 12:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]
If that's the area you are in try Gopher campfire gun club. if your closer to the metro there are a number of ranges depending on where you are
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the suggestion guys, some of those ranges cost over $500 to join so I might pass on that right now as I can get another decent gun for that price.

But some of them look interesting although they might be a bit hard to get into as it seems membership can be a bit competitive.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:01:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Shooting is a hobby! You have to pay to play....

Gopher Campfire is not that expensive, but not very much of rifle range length
But is not expensive http://gophercampfire.com/membership/
IRC you used to be able to go into the Little Crow Shooting Sports shop and get a membership.

Rainbow Sportsmans club is not expensive either and it goes out to 300 yds is probably best you can do without going  Harris, Elk River, Red Wing or Forest Lake.
http://rainbowsportsmensclub.weebly.com/membership.html

Reality is that shooting ranges are expensive pieces of property.  They consume a lot of land. Plus have to have friendly neighbors.
Errant shots do not make for good relationships!

Most clubs with long ranges are meant to be used for competitive shooting programs like Benchrest, F Class, High Power XTC Match and Service Rifle.  To go shooting you probably need 2 other people so you can be safe someone to run the target and spotter.  No range wants bullets leaving the property!

About the only via option with limited hours for public is Oakdale in the metro.  Del-Tone in St Cloud goes out to 200yds. Or Caribou Gun Club down by LeSueur http://www.caribougunclub.com/Caribou_Gun_Club/GUN_CLUB_PRICING.html it goes out 500 yds?

One of the best ideas I have heard is go visit the private ranges when they have their annual public deer sight days.  You get to see ranges and find out the scoop.  Usually at the big MNWCA show at the Hippodrome on the MN State Fairgrounds most of the clubs have tables set up.  

One thing is submit applications now or when then start taking them.  I know Elk River does not accept applications till like the first of November.  Others have years long waiting lists, ie Dakota County Gun Club.   You have to start some time.  

Gopher at Harris has a few hoops to jump through so you might want to start laying the ground work.

Erud who posts here once in a while has more first hand knowledge of North Star Rifle Club near Red Wing.

Fairbault Gun Club is not that expensive
http://www.frpcmn.com/range/index.php/membership

Post 435 Richfield VFW has a 200yd range down by Elko.  You have to be a vet or family of a vet, but it is not all that expensive.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 2:29:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I think you mean the American Legion Post 435 gun club...

Yes the range is down by Elko and yes you need to be a vet or "sons of the legion" to join.

My membership cost (I think) $135 for the year including the $60 work credit for 4 hours of work. That included an American Legion membership.

It has shotgun, 25/50/75 foot pistol, 25/50/100/200 yard rifle/pistol. The 200yd is a pit with pop up targets.

There is a monthly meeting open to all members at the Legion on a Tuesday evening every month.

They've updated quite a bit recently and while not perfect, it's a good range. There is also no one there during the day on weekdays. Well if you join and come those days, you might run into me

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Hudson Rod & Gun Club.

http://www.hudsongunclub.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top