Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2015 6:35:29 PM EDT
I have always hunted on a large area of private land in northern MN which is owned by one of my fathers friends, with the loss of my father that land is no longer available to me. I'm thinking about hunting at Senn-Rich WMA which is in Waseca co., close to home and about 102 acres.

Any tips?  

Would I be wasting my time?

Know of any better WMAs in southern mn? (Trying to stay in a hunters choice area)

Any info appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't hunt public land on the weekends. Take some time off work and hit it up Tuesday-Thursday. Too many yahoos shooting at sound all crammed together the rest of the time.

EDIT: A friend of mine owns 80 acres of thick woods. There are usually seven of us out there opening weekend, and it gets a little crowded, unless everyone can get together and co-ordinate a push.

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't hunt public land on the weekends. Take some time off work and hit it up Tuesday-Thursday. Too many yahoos shooting at sound all crammed together the rest of the time.

EDIT: A friend of mine owns 80 acres of thick woods. There are usually seven of us out there opening weekend, and it gets a little crowded, unless everyone can get together and co-ordinate a push.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip! I was planning to take the whole week off.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:01:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Up by me as of 7 or so years ago it has gotten absolutely packed, Jacobson Mn and my other side hunts near Remer, MN.  You have guys blocking roads off like they own them, people shooting 15 rounds off at movement in the woods.  I've had two uncles jump out of trees to duck down in the line of fire.  We also had an issue with 15 plus hispanics at the one deer camp that moved in and set up, we had to get the DNR out to yell at them to pick up trash after a few years of them absolutely trashing the woods.  They bring 5 more guys up every year it seems and all they do is traipse around the woods and interrupt everyones hunt.

Private land is almost the only way to go it seems, and even then we've had people try to move in on our private land.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:47:45 PM EDT
[#4]
My dad and I have completely stopped rifle hunting because of our neighbors. We bow hunt exclusively now. That might be worth a shot and more peacefull on public land.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 12:42:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Up by me as of 7 or so years ago it has gotten absolutely packed, Jacobson Mn and my other side hunts near Remer, MN.  You have guys blocking roads off like they own them, people shooting 15 rounds off at movement in the woods.  I've had two uncles jump out of trees to duck down in the line of fire.  We also had an issue with 15 plus hispanics at the one deer camp that moved in and set up, we had to get the DNR out to yell at them to pick up trash after a few years of them absolutely trashing the woods.  They bring 5 more guys up every year it seems and all they do is traipse around the woods and interrupt everyones hunt.

Private land is almost the only way to go it seems, and even then we've had people try to move in on our private land.
View Quote

This is my fear. I'm going from having an area of a few thousand acres used by 10 or so people, who all knew each other to 102 acres used by who knows.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I have not had luck in Steele, Waseca or Rice counties WMA's but know plenty who have.  Get out and scope out some areas and maybe you will have better luck than me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:19:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I have tried a few in Freeborn county and have only seen one deer on them after opening day in the past 5 years or so that I have been on them.  It seems like guys are out in their spots on them EARLY.  You would damn near have to camp out overnight to secure a decent spot.  Once the shooting starts the deer clear out in a hurry and if they are not being pushed on surrounding private property they do not come back.  They have become a last ditch option for me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have tried a few in Freeborn county and have only seen one deer on them after opening day in the past 5 years or so that I have been on them.  It seems like guys are out in their spots on them EARLY.  You would damn near have to camp out overnight to secure a decent spot.  Once the shooting starts the deer clear out in a hurry and if they are not being pushed on surrounding private property they do not come back.  They have become a last ditch option for me.
View Quote

Looks like I'm going to have to hope for some dumb luck. I've seen deer on this WMA just not often. I'm hoping to take a larger Doe.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have not had luck in Steele, Waseca or Rice counties WMA's but know plenty who have.  Get out and scope out some areas and maybe you will have better luck than me.
View Quote

I've walked this location a few times I doubt I'll go to any others. I really want to stay close to home this year so I can take my kids out if I feel its safe enough. It's also in a hunters choice area so I could take a Doe. Here's to hoping for some luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top