Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2015 8:34:52 PM EDT
So I'm going to Canada for the first time late next month.  Only about 1hr into Ontario and I'm going with a few guys who go twice a year.  But I was wondering if anyone had any tips or pointers to make sure I don't run into any problems or could make the trip a little better.

1) Guns are staying at home!

2) I'll be taking my own truck, trailer (titled), and boat (registered, but not titled ... it's pre-June 1979.  Do I need to take an proof of ownership documents with me?

3) I have a passport.

4) We won't be taking live bait.

5) How much alcohol can I take across the border?

6) Planning on taking enough clothes in case it's cold and rain gear.

So what else should I be thinking about?

TIA
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Where are you going to be crossing into Canada at?

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So I'm going to Canada for the first time late next month.  Only about 1hr into Ontario and I'm going with a few guys who go twice a year.  But I was wondering if anyone had any tips or pointers to make sure I don't run into any problems or could make the trip a little better.

2) I'll be taking my own truck, trailer (titled), and boat (registered, but not titled ... it's pre-June 1979.  Do I need to take an proof of ownership documents with me?

3) I have a passport.

TIA
View Quote

Buy your alcohol at the duty-free (tax free) if you're crossing over through from International Falls into Fort Francis.

I believe that Ontario has a no drinking in the boat policy.  I know they used to.

You'll need a MN Boaters safety certificate to get the Ontario/Canada Outdoors card.  Once you have the card, then you can get the fishing license.

http://www.ontario.ca/travel-and-recreation/fishing-licence-non-residents-canada

http://www.ontario.ca/travel-and-recreation/fishing

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 12:09:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where are you going to be crossing into Canada at?

View Quote

International Falls
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Buy your alcohol at the duty-free (tax free) if you're crossing over through from International Falls into Fort Francis.

I believe that Ontario has a no drinking in the boat policy.  I know they used to.

You'll need a MN Boaters safety certificate to get the Ontario/Canada Outdoors card.  Once you have the card, then you can get the fishing license.

http://www.ontario.ca/travel-and-recreation/fishing-licence-non-residents-canada

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3) I have a passport.

TIA

Thanks for the links.  But I can't find anything that says that I need a MN Boaters Safety certificate to get an Outdoors Card.  I do see references to needing a competency certificate if bringing my own boat, but only if I was going to operate it for more than 45 consecutive days.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:12:09 AM EDT
[#5]
where are you going to be fishing at???  crossing in Baudette to rainy river will save your Sanity and your corn hole
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, I have a cabin in Ontario on a border lake so I cross the border quite frequently. Be sure not to bring any chicken products with you including eggs unless they are all ready cooked. They also will give you grief if it seems you didn't clean your boat before crossing. One can bring one case of beer or one liter of booze per person in the vehicle. I'm not sure about tobacco but there are similar limits I have heard. They also wont let you bring any raw vegetables across such as potatoes unless they are commercially packaged.

The normal questions I get asked are,

Where are you heading?

When are you coming out?

How much alcohol?

Any mace, pepper spray, stun guns, or pistols? All of which are prohibited.

Are you leaving anything in Canada?

When was the last time you were here?

Where is everyone in the vehicle from?

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#7]
We are going to "Timber Wolf Lodge in Northwestern Ontario, the only resort on Winkle Lake, is 25 miles North on Hwy 502 (just 45 minutes from International Fall US/Canada border)".  Two of the guys that are going go twice a year so I am pretty much along for the ride so to speak.  I suspect we will be picking up provisions once we get up there as I haven't been asked to pick up any food.   The questions mentioned above seem like they'd pretty much be standard things they'd ask at a border crossing.  Looking forward to the trip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top