Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2015 4:25:01 PM EDT
I have a friend who was served a restraining order by her ex BF, she had a kid with him that she has full custody of but he see's every other weekend, also his current GF hates her and that is the main reason they put a RO against my friend. Anyways she is going to appeal it but can not afford a lawyer to fight it,she actually has a lawyer but has not paid him in full yet, and is a month behind in payment to him (< I know, but she is honestly trying her best to work, be a mom and keep up on her bills), so she is going to do it herself as she can pretty much prove by text's that she has never threatened or harassed the ex BF at all, all contact was in regards to parenting factors concerning their son.  

Anyways is there any advice or help anyone can offer in regards to what is the best approach to defending herself in hopes of either getting it dropped or at least some amendments made to it. If it does not get dropped fully by the judge, she would simply like to follow the court order that was already established during their custody trial which is what she had been adhering to already.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 7:13:45 AM EDT
[#1]
If money is real tight, she may qualify for for free attorney assistance. Check with the county services to see if she qualifies.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Let me guess, they were never married?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:26:46 PM EDT
[#3]
If she has full custody why does she care about the RO either way?  Seems like it would be more of a problem for the father if he actually wanted to see the kid.  What's in it for the father and the new GF to get the RO?
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 2:06:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If she has full custody why does she care about the RO either way?  Seems like it would be more of a problem for the father if he actually wanted to see the kid.  What's in it for the father and the new GF to get the RO?
View Quote

Well if she wants to buy a gun she can't for some retarded reason.... They can Fuck your life and they make you look like the bad guy.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 10:39:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Well if she wants to buy a gun she can't for some retarded reason.... They can Fuck your life and they make you look like the bad guy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it's a PITA and I'm not saying it doesn't matter; just curious about the backstory, and the motivation of the father.

OP, I hope your friend gets this resolved.  If it's truly a BS reason she can do a google search for the county's legal aid office.  At a minimum someone will be able to explain the consequences of this particular RO and the process for getting it changed/withdrawn.  Ultimately, it sounds to me like a good opportunity for her to disengage from drama with the father and the new girlfriend and focus on the kids.  Can't help more than that; I made the decision not to get involved in family law years ago.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Judge dropped the RO pending a 90 day review. Judge told the father to follow the court agreement for parental rights  that has been in place for awhile already, to have a phone that is available to use for contacting her son when father has him, said there's no reason she cant talk to her son when the father has him whatsoever and that she should always be able to get hold of him, basically the judge knew what the father and his GF were trying to do and shut them down. It's still BS that my GF will not get the $320 appeal filing fee back though even though she's basically won her appeal, the father should have to pay that back for originally filing the RO for no apparent reason other than to fuck with her.  

Anyway this thread can be locked now mods.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Done
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top