Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 5/21/2015 8:43:06 PM EDT
Here it is, may be a little premature, but what's everyone's plans?

Have questions, want to just talk and dream about what you can finally get?

Want to plan a suppressor meet once we all get our tax stamps?

Personally I've been looking at the SD tactical kits, they seem to have quality parts for a decent price, you can buy them now, and then once your stamp comes back drill out the parts and make your suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:19:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope this passes for my grandchildren sake. They live in Rochester.

Back on topic, when we, Michigan, first got the right to own cans, my first purchase was a .22 rimfire can
Cheapest way in the NFA  suppressor ownership world. I went with a Sparrow. Today if I had to make that decision again,
I'd go with the SilencerCo Spectre II. I own both and love both, but the Sparrow has first round pop that is noticeable on a handgun. No so bad on a rifle.
And you guys and gals have an excellent barrel threader in your state already. Jim Pixley in Pelican Rapids.
( [email protected] )  He has threaded everything that I needed threads on. Rifles and Ruger pistols.

I will warn you the this is an addictive endeavor. I now have 10 stamps, with 2 of them being for a SBR and a SBS.

Welcome the the NFA world.
My money is on him not signing, but letting it become law without his signature. And that to me is the better way.
We win and he can be say he won too.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:58:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Form 1 cans for everything.

1st can will be a 5.56 can.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#3]
first can will be an AAC 556SD, I have a 51T on my Noveske recce-ish rifle and I am going to put one on my new MK18 pistol (soon to be stamped), seems like a good and, relatively, affordable way to go
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:29:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I am thinking my first can will be a sparrow or a surefire 22 ryder for my sbr .22.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#5]
If someone makes a 9mm can that is rated for 5.56, I'll probably buy one. And F1 a .22lr can.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:11:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll bring mine over from the WI cabin and have a proper homecoming. If this passes on sat I'll probably order an octane 45 from my dealer in WI so I don't have to wait as long as ordering from a MN SOT.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:46:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If someone makes a 9mm can that is rated for 5.56, I'll probably buy one. And F1 a .22lr can.
View Quote

I believe the mystic x is rated for both
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:03:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Finally going to be able to build a can for my 300 blk pistol :D
super excited
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:27:25 AM EDT
[#9]
First order of business will be to liberate mine from out of state and go shooting.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:06:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Liberty mystic x is rated for 5.56 out of a 16"+ barrel.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:21:17 AM EDT
[#11]
My "plan" is to build a 300blk sbr suppressed to see what all the hoopla is about.  (if I can find a damn lawyer in this state to draw up a trust) because the online things make me uneasy.

Then I don't know if I should do a 5.56 and a .30  or one for both? Then my niece is getting on for her .22.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:39:51 AM EDT
[#12]
22lr suppressor is at the top of the list.  I will then get a 300BLK and build another SBR  (1st tax stamp for a 5.56 should be approved any day).
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:33:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I am getting a .30 cal suppressor for my 308 and the 556 ar's.  Then I think I will get one for the 1911. Maybe at the end of the day I will pick one up for the better half's M&P9.

Does anyone have feedback about Griffin silencers?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#14]
"Plans" include a Ultra-9 from TBAC, A Osprey from Silencerco (not sure about which model yet) and a Sparrow, also from Silencerco.   And all necessary pistons, brakes, flash hiders and adapters...  Gonna be rough on the old piggy bank...  
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Winning.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Well shit... Gotta restart saving.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I hope this passes for my grandchildren sake. They live in Rochester.

Back on topic, when we, Michigan, first got the right to own cans,
snip
View Quote

I'm sure you meant to say privilege instead of right.
Rights and privileges are not the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:04:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Well it's been signed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Whoop! We did it.

Suppressors on everything!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Build one yourself and do it one piece at a time
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:45:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Whoop! We did it.

Suppressors on everything!
View Quote

Except his pie hole
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:46:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Going to start the process for putting together stuff for Form 1 builds and my Trust. (fuck my CLEO)

Gotta get in my paperwork for my SBR today, though, if I want to get that done right.

If the stuff comes back from the ATF (e-file) in time, I can enjoy it yet this fall for a shoot.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Buying a .22 can for $179+tax and shipping.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean like that slow build gun that I wanted to have ready for deer hunting this year?  ...the gun that I finished last November?  Yeah, I'm not good at one piece at a time!  
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:04:05 PM EDT
[#25]
You guys need to have a silencer shoot so people can take a look at what is out there.  Might want to do it next summer so you all can actually show up with suppressed firearms.  I wish I was going to be in MN this August, then I could bring several items including a suppressed 50 bmg, 510 whisper, 338 ultra mag and some 22lr's.

Randy
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:35:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Buying a .22 can for $179+tax and shipping.
View Quote

What brand and from where?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I just told my Daughter that some of HER college fund just took a vacation.    She said Good get three.

SWEET

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'll bring mine over from the WI cabin and have a proper homecoming. If this passes on sat I'll probably order an octane 45 from my dealer in WI so I don't have to wait as long as ordering from a MN SOT.
View Quote

Can I ask why you would have to wait so long?  Dealers have already been able to get cans and have some in stock.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Anyone know who would accept transfers of cans coming into the state? Found a great deal on a can I want from out of state, hoping I can order it now to get the price on it!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Call Atomic Tactical and ask them. They are going to be busy though so expect a wait lol. They took care of my paperwork today and it only got busier while I was there.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Can I ask why you would have to wait so long?  Dealers have already been able to get cans and have some in stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can start the form 4 process now with the Trust I have set up in WI instead of waiting until July when anyone in MN will have to wait to submit a form 4.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Dakota silencer had been preparing for the passing. I think Brandon is all set up in mn now ready to go.

I'll be happy to come home to the family farm and shoot. We have always had the space to shoot but I had to leave the fun stuff home
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#33]
So what are the odds we'll be able to hunt with suppressors?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Starting on Aug 1st you can.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Woo-Hoo! That is what I came here to find out. None of the articles on-line mentioned hunting. I have a lot of family in Minnesota and have been hunting up there for almost 20 yrs. VERY excited to bring along a can this coming fall. In fact, will be up there over the 4th and will take a couple then too.

Way to go Minnesota! Now start on the next step= whatever that is.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Unless I did not read the statutes correctly, I'd say it is 100% that you can hunt with a suppressed firearm.

SF 878
repealing Minnesota Statutes
2014, sections 97B.031, subdivision 4; 201.155; 201.275; 609.66, subdivision 1h.

97B.031 will be repealed; the old words were related to hunting and prohibited silencer possession as well as possession any gun equipped to attach a silencer.  But as of this summer it is history.
The exemption (609.66 1h) exemption for the police ( tactical response only) and the DNR is also going away.  The police and DNR will be like the rest of us little people, make sure it's registered or go directly to jail.

So is it August 1st or July 1st that silencers are legal?  I reading both depending on the source.  I'm on vacation in MN the first week of July and I want to bring some cans home.

The GOCRA's Facebook page says;
SUPPRESSOR EFFECTIVE DATE: JULY 1
-----------------------------------------------------------

Good news: The ban on possession of suppressors in Minnesota ends on July 1, not August 1.

(Gory details: most laws take effect August 1, unless otherwise specified in the law, but appropriations bills take effect July 1 unless otherwise specified.)

Here are all of the effective dates:

July 1:
Suppressor ban ends
Capitol carry notification rules change
Carry permit recognition standards change*

August 1:
Emergency Powers provision takes effect
Ban on hunting with suppressors ends

But SF 878 here says; https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/text.php?number=SF878&version=2&session=ls89&session_year=2015&session_number=0

EFFECTIVE DATE.

This section is effective August 1, 2015, and applies to crimes
committed on or after that date.

Minnesota Statutes 2014, section 609.66, subdivision 1a, is amended to read:

(1) sells or has in possession a suppressor that is not lawfully possessed under federal law

Randy
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why? I want one that works, not one that's cheap...there's no way I can build something myself with the efficiency of a Silencerco or KAC can. There's a lot of engineering and fluid dynamics that goes into a properly designed can. Otherwise you end up with something like Jesse James designed

I've been looking at the new cans by Sig...the guy who started AAC is apparently working for/designing them for Sig now, and supposedly they are top notch...
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Hip shot plan;

Get a .30 cal can. Long and as quiet as I can justify spending on. Would like something that can QD on/off a Smith Vortex.

First and foremost; I know it's against the current fad, but it will go on my bolt gun. If Iraq taught me anything... it's that you have to be a ways out and never be seen, even with NODs and thermals, to survive at all. I'll testify to that, as would a (probably Iranian) guy who took some 7.62. Too close.

Down the road; maybe a 300bo 9" upper. That, or finally spend for a quality SPR type AR in 308win.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Why? I want one that works, not one that's cheap...there's no way I can build something myself with the efficiency of a Silencerco or KAC can. There's a lot of engineering and fluid dynamics that goes into a properly designed can. Otherwise you end up with something like Jesse James designed

I've been looking at the new cans by Sig...the guy who started AAC is apparently working for/designing them for Sig now, and supposedly they are top notch...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly what I say about AR15 builds. Built by garage tinkerers, yet people would trust them with their lives?? Can barely trust them to run at the range without fail. (and I don't mean the rare, immediately correctable malfunction.

I'm not a machinist, nor have the tooling to make jack; but will be looking into the laws about making one (legally). Was there any info after the release and retract of what Jesse James did? Did it turn out not to work well or something?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Has anyone efiled a form 1 yet?  A working can doesn't look very hard at all to make.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There pros and cons each way. You build it, you can repair it no fuss pick up extra freeze plugs and do them when you do your build with the expectation that some day you'll replace them.

Rather have a monocore baffle system? Buy one you'll get quality and a company along with a suppressor right off the bat, but you'll pay for it.

If you personally have the time and experience to make one, there's no reason that some of the quality kits out there won't give you a can that is just as good as name brand for substantially less.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:17:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Has anyone efiled a form 1 yet?  A working can doesn't look very hard at all to make.
View Quote

I plan on doing an SD tactical kit but I won't efile until Jul 1st/Aug 1st.  No point getting ahead of the game
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:18:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're absolutely right. DIY is a horrible way to go. Everyone should buy an AAC or something.

(this is in no way, an attempt to keep lead times short on suppressor parts and tooling)

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

There pros and cons each way. You build it, you can repair it no fuss pick up extra freeze plugs and do them when you do your build with the expectation that some day you'll replace them.

Rather have a monocore baffle system? Buy one you'll get quality and a company along with a suppressor right off the bat, but you'll pay for it.

If you personally have the time and experience to make one, there's no reason that some of the quality kits out there won't give you a can that is just as good as name brand for substantially less.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And 4 months after I'm shooting with my eForm 1 approved, DIY can, you can check to see if an approver has started looking at your Form 3/Form 4 yet.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That's exactly what I say about AR15 builds. Built by garage tinkerers, yet people would trust them with their lives?? Can barely trust them to run at the range without fail. (and I don't mean the rare, immediately correctable malfunction.

I'm not a machinist, nor have the tooling to make jack; but will be looking into the laws about making one (legally). Was there any info after the release and retract of what Jesse James did? Did it turn out not to work well or something?
View Quote

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic about the AR15 build thing The difference between an AR and a suppressor is huge...with an AR you are more-or-less slapping together pre-manufactured parts pretty much. Unless you can't torque a barrel nut or buy crappy parts, whatever you put together should work, provided you bought parts that weren't made by the lowest bidder and used properly in-spec receivers and such...

For a suppressor though...unless I'm missing something, you can't just go out and buy machined baffles. You need a lathe and know-how if you want to make a good suppressor, for the baffles at least. You can go the old-school route and use freeze plugs, bent and annealed and drilled through exact center on each one, etc...but that's pretty much circa 1890's technology there. Why do that when you can spend a couple hundred more and buy a suppressor using at least 20th century technology, if not 21st? Plus, buying/machining Iconel, or Titanium, or any of the other fairly exotic metals common in suppressors...

Not saying a home tinkerer shouldn't do their own. Just as someone who wants a working product that I know I can beat the crap out of and get proper support for...I'm going to buy commercial.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#46]
It would be nice to have an approved Form 1 on or before July 1st so that build can get going asap!  As in same day.  

Quoted:

I plan on doing an SD tactical kit but I won't efile until Jul 1st/Aug 1st.  No point getting ahead of the game
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:45:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:10:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Unless I did not read the statutes correctly, I'd say it is 100% that you can hunt with a suppressed firearm.

SF 878

97B.031 will be repealed; the old words were related to hunting and prohibited silencer possession as well as possession any gun equipped to attach a silencer.  But as of this summer it is history.
The exemption (609.66 1h) exemption for the police ( tactical response only) and the DNR is also going away.  The police and DNR will be like the rest of us little people, make sure it's registered or go directly to jail.

So is it August 1st or July 1st that silencers are legal?  I reading both depending on the source.  I'm on vacation in MN the first week of July and I want to bring some cans home.

But SF 878 here says; https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/text.php?number=SF878&version=2&session=ls89&session_year=2015&session_number=0

Randy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SF 878
repealing Minnesota Statutes
2014, sections 97B.031, subdivision 4; 201.155; 201.275; 609.66, subdivision 1h.

The GOCRA's Facebook page says;
SUPPRESSOR EFFECTIVE DATE: JULY 1
-----------------------------------------------------------

Good news: The ban on possession of suppressors in Minnesota ends on July 1, not August 1.

(Gory details: most laws take effect August 1, unless otherwise specified in the law, but appropriations bills take effect July 1 unless otherwise specified.)

Here are all of the effective dates:

July 1:
Suppressor ban ends
Capitol carry notification rules change
Carry permit recognition standards change*

August 1:
Emergency Powers provision takes effect
Ban on hunting with suppressors ends

EFFECTIVE DATE.

This section is effective August 1, 2015, and applies to crimes
committed on or after that date.

Minnesota Statutes 2014, section 609.66, subdivision 1a, is amended to read:

(1) sells or has in possession a suppressor that is not lawfully possessed under federal law

Randy

Unless the law says specifically that you can hunt with them, don't put it past the DNR to write a regulation saying that you can not. We went for many years not being able to carry on a permit to carry while archery hunting because the law didn't specifically say it was allowed and the DNR regulation was that you may not be in possession of a firearm under any condition while archery hunting.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic about the AR15 build thing The difference between an AR and a suppressor is huge...with an AR you are more-or-less slapping together pre-manufactured parts pretty much. Unless you can't torque a barrel nut or buy crappy parts, whatever you put together should work, provided you bought parts that weren't made by the lowest bidder and used properly in-spec receivers and such...

For a suppressor though...unless I'm missing something, you can't just go out and buy machined baffles. You need a lathe and know-how if you want to make a good suppressor, for the baffles at least. You can go the old-school route and use freeze plugs, bent and annealed and drilled through exact center on each one, etc...but that's pretty much circa 1890's technology there. Why do that when you can spend a couple hundred more and buy a suppressor using at least 20th century technology, if not 21st? Plus, buying/machining Iconel, or Titanium, or any of the other fairly exotic metals common in suppressors...

Not saying a home tinkerer shouldn't do their own. Just as someone who wants a working product that I know I can beat the crap out of and get proper support for...I'm going to buy commercial.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's wrong with freeze plugs? In the end, Db reduction is Db reduction. If I can inexpensivly use freeze plugs to do the same as an expensive monocore why would I not? Freezeplug gone bad? Oh well, $2 and I can replace it. Baffle strike? Big whoop.

Pleanty of kits and parts out there in Ti and Al
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top