Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2015 11:05:54 AM EDT
I've had a dealer looking for a ATI GSG5-P for me to SBR. He was just told by ATI that they don't transfer the pistol model to MN dealers because it doesn't meet the 1000 degree melting point requirement in MN's Saturday night special law. Am I missing something here? I'm pretty sure any polymer pistol will melt at 1000 degrees.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:11:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've had a dealer looking for a ATI GSG5-P for me to SBR. He was just told by ATI that they don't transfer the pistol model to MN dealers because it doesn't meet the 1000 degree melting point requirement in MN's Saturday night special law. Am I missing something here? I'm pretty sure any polymer pistol will melt at 1000 degrees.
View Quote

Linky....

It really comes down to if its made from low tensile strength alloys for the slide/barrel/frame/breech.
ZAMAK is what makes up most of the shitty guns that are banned.

Glock and decent modern polymer guns get around this because their slide/barrel are steel as is their locking block. Although the "melting point" restriction is rather silly as a glock or any other polymer gun will melt. 460F I think.

I own an FIE Titan Tiger (in the  "Dawn of the Dead" collection) and it was brought over before the ban.

The Ruger LCR is legal since its barrel and parts of the frame have metal where it counts.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#2]
You want even sillier? The sig 1911 22 is sold in MN but the same exact gun the GSG 1911 22 can't be sold here due to the stupid melting point law (I'm pretty sure neither will pass it).  I couldn't buy one of the Colt 1911 22s here either so I picked it up at my other home in AZ and brought it back with me.  Dual state residency is nice.  You can still find some of these at various gun shows around the state though, it's a misdemeanor only for a dealer to sell one (not for you to possess one) but the law isn't enforced.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#3]
is there a list posted somewhere about which guns don't meet the temperature threshold?

I've seen one at a local dealer for sale, and don't want to cause dealer any problems if I decide to purchase.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#4]
On a side note, after owning a GSG5 and seeing how the receiver was assembled, I would never purchase one again.  I would have broken the thing within 1000 rounds easily if I had not sold it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Stupid laws are stupid.

The key word in the law is "liquidus".  Polymers typically do not turn into a liquid when melted and are still semisolid.  Even if it burns at less than 1000 degrees it is not turning into a liquid and therefore not covered by the Saturday Night Special law.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought it was that the guns could t be sold in MN, not that they couldn't be transferred in MN....

Lots of heratige 22s around MN that were transferred in the state and bought online since stores can't carry it
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:33:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought it was that the guns could t be sold in MN, not that they couldn't be transferred in MN....

Lots of heratige 22s around MN that were transferred in the state and bought online since stores can't carry it
View Quote

You and I can sell, trade and own them but a licensed dealer is not allowed to sell them... makes sense right? Especially since it's not enforced.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top