Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2015 3:13:53 PM EDT
I was just at Ahlmans in Morristown,

Tons of powder, Varget; at least 25 #'s. Tons of other flavors.

Get some!
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Was at scheels in st cloud, looks like they got a bunch in too.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:29:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Gunstop had a decent supply today too, and the guy that owns the place is back to work again.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gunstop had a decent supply today too, and the guy that owns the place is back to work again.
View Quote

Was he sick or something?

Gunstop is a hr drive for me but I like to get up there a couple times a yr.

The "owner", he's a crab ass sometimes, really seen him light a guy up once, always been good to me though. Course I don't go in there acting like I own the joint and have superior knowledge to every living human being.

He's who I send friends to that are wannabe reloaders after I give them the details. Guy has a ton of knowledge and experience.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#4]
LOL. Johns personality and sense of humor is an acquired taste.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#5]
The problem with some places are customers who think they are some how entitled.  My gosh people powder has been elusive for over two years. People whine about being limited to #1 at a time.  John is only offered X amount of powder from the same supplier that Alhmans uses out of Onalaska WI .  The distributor tells the various vendors what they can have.  There is no ORDERING powder on demand.  

People have such unrealistic expectations when shopping for powder.  One has to be FLEXIBLE in their choices.
Alliant, American Made Powders, are virtually non-existent..  

The last shipment of Alliant powder that the supplier in Onalaska got $20000 worth of powder.  John got nearly 4500 of it.  And, realistically that is not all that much powder.  To put this in perspective....The supplier in Onalaska only got 4 shipments of Alliant Powder all of last year.  This supplier not only supplies The Gunstop, Ballistics Products, Alhaman's Recobs Target Shop, Sells some to Scheels.  Wolfs Den.  

In reality there are not many Powder Distributors.....

CSI in Sauk Rapids is the only one in MN, there is Crow Shooting Supply and Sunset Distributors in Iowa.
Black Hills in SD.  

The sad part is that there is virtually no shotgun powders out there and very few pistol powders, although some do cross over.  The good thing is that Clays powders from Australia are out  there.  There was some Universal Clays #8 jugs on John's list.  

Sure people want answers but John the Gunstop or Brian the Wolf's Den are at the hands of the suppliers.
Who in turn have to deal with Alliant, Western, and Hodgdon Powder companies.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 1:08:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:48:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I just picked up 4 pounds of the HOLY Unobtaintum  Unique Last week at Ahlmans in Morristown plan is to stock up on other powder when I see it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:17:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
LOL. Johns personality and sense of humor is an acquired taste.
View Quote

Yes John has quite the personality.  But he's always been fair to me.  I bring my youngest there sometimes and he seems to warm up with kids around.

Still, could stand to improve customer service.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I picked up some longshot and clays universal from BPI. They are out now.

I am nursing my last jug of red dot for this summer trap league.

And my stash of power pistol is slowly going down.

iNu, I am not so desperate to switch to Pyrodex. I use it for cap and ball only. It will start rusting on your steel parts in less time than you think...

777 will work in square loads for shotshells.  But the price for loading up a flat is more than getting a factory one from Cabelas.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Good point. I should probably take apart the trigger / hammer area of a detailed cleaning soon.    

It's a stainless gun but it can still rust if not cared for...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
iNu, I am not so desperate to switch to Pyrodex. I use it for cap and ball only. It will start rusting on your steel parts in less time than you think...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Good point. I should probably take apart the trigger / hammer area of a detailed cleaning soon.    

It's a stainless gun but it can still rust if not cared for...

Soak in Balistol and hot water 1:10 or 1:5 ratio. Then clean with Rem-Action or break cleaner. Then lube with Kroil or another light penetrating oil.

BP shooters don't fire nearly as many rounds as smokeless toys. There is a reason for it. Cleanup is what drove me from cowboy action shooting... it took hours to get my Henry 44-40 clean.

Substitutes are HORRIBLE to clean up. Get real black powder or don't bother. 777 will work and is not too bad. But, again, it get so expensive so quick... not really worth it unless you can get someone to share a bulk order on it with.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Gunspot had varget on Saturday, fyi.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top