Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2015 4:21:38 PM EDT
Just got a Sig AR pistol with that sig brace but now I want to SBR it so I can shoulder it at the range,  so what's the easiest route in MN... A trust?  anyone use any of the online trusts and had good results if so which one? or is there a place in the west metro that can walk me through the process ?
Thanks for any responses
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm about to go trust route. Atomic Tactical in Bloomington does a lot of NFA business.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:22:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I used 199trust.com
Good results and got the trust docs pretty fast.

waiting on my first stamp now.

If you do SBR it put a real stock on it
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Correct me if I am wrong. Without a trust, you need the local chief of police or sheriff to sign off on the form, everything else is the same (engraving, finger prints, etc), right? Debating if I want to do one or leave the sig brace on.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I went the trust route. E-file took 31 days for all 3 of my stamps. Makes more sense than going to CLEO route once you get into it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:22:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Correct me if I am wrong. Without a trust, you need the local chief of police or sheriff to sign off on the form, everything else is the same (engraving, finger prints, etc), right? Debating if I want to do one or leave the sig brace on.
View Quote

no finger prints with a trust
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:54:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info I just placed my order with 199trust
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:48:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Wait, no finger prints? What about the engraving part?
Here is what I have. KAK industries 10.5 inch barrel complete upper (308). Areo lower. KAK super tube with sig brace. Had lower sent to element arms. Since they do the paperwork on a computer, not sure how they classified my lower.
So, do the trust, have engraving done according to requirements. take photos to attach to efile? Probably making more difficult than it is but don't want to screw this up if I do this.
If I get it done right and get my tax stamp, I then can change out the stock to what ever?
Appreciate all the help guys.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#9]
*shrug* I just went to my county sheriff. It took longer to get printed than it did to get his signature. $20 for the photos, $15 for the prints, and maybe an hour total out of my day to get it all done. Why bother with a trust? Especially since the ATF has made it clear that they will be requiring photos and fingerprints for all members of a trust in the future, anyway?

The only advantage a trust will get you in the future is the ability to e-file, and the timegap between that and a paper filing is closing fast anyway...

Of course if you live in a county where your sheriff won't sign, that's one thing...but if he will, why bother going another route.

But, YMMV...
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Oh, I understand the versatility of it...but a lot of that versatility goes away as soon as the ATF modifies their rules to require all trustees in a trust to be printed and photographed. Suddenly submitting a Form 4 or 1 becomes a logistical exercise between every member of the trust to get photographed and fingerprinted, on ATF card stock (the ATF will only accept fingerprints done on cards they provide to you; they will not take a local PD's cards). Instead of doing a background check on one person, they'll have to do it on every person in the trust (they already do this, but they will throw in photographs and the prints into the mix, which they currently can't). And if one person in the trust winds up with a DV conviction, felony DWI, busted with a pound of pot, old arrest record, etc...hey, guess what happens to the trust? At the very least it'll need to be amended to remove a trustee and I'm not clear on the legal ramifications of that. That would require a lawyer, and more money.

Yes, the trust has advantages.

It's also got disadvantages. Just like going the corporate route and forming an LLC has advantages and disadvantages. Anyone getting into NFA today needs to go in with both eyes wide open.

The advantage of a simple Form 1 on an individual is that it's very simple, no bullshit; sheriff's signature, prints, photograph, check. No lawyers, no checking Schedule A and Schedule B, no wondering if it's worded right, no ordering any "completion kits" from the internet, and no hoping and praying that some guy online has a trust form that's legally valid in your state. The biggest two disadvantages are simply the time it takes for approval (which is being shortened) and that it's tied to an individual...so you can't just leave your NFA item with someone else who is in the trust. They can come out and use it at any time, but it's not theirs and must always remain in your possession/control.

Right now a trust does not require prints or photographs but rest assured...it is coming. This also means existing trusts will probably need to be updated with prints and photographs as well...though to be honest I'm not sure how the ATF is going to handle existing stamps.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Since mine is pretty much built, minus the stock I will change out, just fill out the form, get sheriff to sign (live out in country), get finger prints and photo, and mail in?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Since mine is pretty much built, minus the stock I will change out, just fill out the form, get sheriff to sign (live out in country), get finger prints and photo, and mail in?
View Quote

Pretty much; if you check the NFA subforum in the Armory section here there's a tacked thread on filling out your form 1. The form itself can be a bit confusing but once you've got it filled out, it's just a matter of making sure the sheriff will sign off on it. You'll need two copies of the form 1 (photocopied front AND back; they will not accept it on two pages..must be printed in duplex), two passport photos, two finger print cards (you need to order these from the ATF; you can do it on their web site and they're free and they take a week or so to get to you), you'll need to fill out the proof of citizenship form (also available for free on the ATF website, same place you can download the form 1 from...you only need one of these)...get the photos, have the sheriff sign it, get fingertprinted at the sheriff's office, write a check for $200, and off to the ATF the whole packet goes.

Edit - some people like to wait until they get the stamp back to get it engraved, others like to get it engraved before the packet goes out to the ATF. Me, I send the receiver out to get engraved usually on the same day I put the packet in the mail to the ATF. Once the stamp is issued the receiver becomes an NFA item, regardless of whether it's been engraved or not, and I'd rather get it engraved before it becomes a title 2 firearm. You can engrave it at any time, but it's better if it's done before the ATF issues the stamp, in my opinion. The receiver should be back well before the ATF stamp if you send both out at the same time.

It sounds more difficult than it really is but for the most part, once you do your first one, it's a snap to do it again once you're familiar with the steps.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#16]
So they don't need a pic of the engraving, correct? Can I engrave my own since I have an engraver? They won't take finger print cards the sheriff uses? Will order those and get them in sand start the process. Anyone know if the stearns county sheriff is cool on signing these?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Bearcat, just remember - EVIL ED lives up to his EVIL name!

You keep listening to his advice, you're going to wind up just like me - spending LOTS OF MONEY on pretty cool stuff!  

They don't call him EVIL for nothing.  There were a couple things I just had to have after seeing his toys.
View Quote

Already spent a ton on evil black weapons. This should be my last (I hope) but never say never. Reloading has me busy enough. With warmer weather coming, time to break out the 50BMG.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:06:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:13:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:19:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Excellent. While setting up my trut I was talking with a lawyer, a dealer, and the ATF, and since I was pretty clueless about many NFA regulations, I asked a lot of questions.  I thought they meant all NFA items need transport papers. If it's just firearms and not suppressors, then that's even better.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why bother with a trust?
Snip

Unless something has changed, you do not need ATF Form 5320.20 transportation paperwork for a silencer

Excellent. While setting up my trut I was talking with a lawyer, a dealer, and the ATF, and since I was pretty clueless about many NFA regulations, I asked a lot of questions.  I thought they meant all NFA items need transport papers. If it's just firearms and not suppressors, then that's even better.  

Just for the guns, its not needed for a can IIRC
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 4:34:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why bother with a trust?
Snip

Unless something has changed, you do not need ATF Form 5320.20 transportation paperwork for a silencer

It's essentially everything but suppressors.  MGs, SBR/SBS, and DDs all require a 5320.20.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 6:11:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Went to the ATF web site to order the finger print cards. The 1st selection was application to make a weapon packet. Included finger print card and form 1. Was this correct?
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:32:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Yes those are the correct forms... Have to ask why did you not go the trust route?
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 7:59:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yes those are the correct forms... Have to ask why did you not go the trust route?
View Quote

Because if you check the NFA forums, the trust route is all but dead.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Just got a letter in the mail that the form 1 packet I ordered is on back order. WTF? Them slowing down the process or that many folks submitting that it dried up all the paperwork?
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:10:20 AM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just got a letter in the mail that the form 1 packet I ordered is on back order. WTF? Them slowing down the process or that many folks submitting that it dried up all the paperwork?

it's online
http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf

Thanks. I know it is but need the packet for the finger print cards since I am not doing the trust.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks. Next question. Anyone in Minnesota do engraving for SBR's?
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#35]
There's Orion Arms but they only accept shipping...there's no store hours and you can't drop it off/pick it up in person last I remember. I don't know of anyone else local-ish to the twin cities...don't know about other major metro areas though?
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 2:21:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Thanks. Next question. Anyone in Minnesota do engraving for SBR's?
View Quote

Atomic Tactical did mine.
Quality work and fast turn around

http://www.atomictactical.com/
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:13:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

What was the turn around time?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It took them about a day or so to get mine to me. I ordered in the evening and i had it before the end of the next day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top