Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2015 12:06:53 AM EDT
Seems like most places have a lot of...trees...blocking the horizon.

I'm going to go up by McGregor this winter but Savannah portage state park was pretty woodsy and blocked the horizon, even in the middle of the lakes.

I'm also looking for a place near the metro area--North would be best.  We're in north Branch so a quick trip up I35 would get us to many state parks.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 2:15:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you intend to look at things that are staying near the horizon, or are you just looking for a bigger sky?

When I lived up by Thief River Falls, there were not a lot of trees on the horizon. I'm sure that hasn't changed much since then.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#2]
We're total beginners and it seemed like Lovejoy gets blocked by trees.

Maybe I'm experiencing normal for us here but don't realize it?
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe the middle of Lake Mille Lacs, or one of the bigger metro lakes?  Most of the State Parks north of you on 35 are really wooded.  if you arnt comfortable on a large lake I would head west rather than north, way less trees that way.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:04:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Inspiration Pointnear battle lake is pretty beautiful at night.
View Quote

Is that in the west part of the state, or...?
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:11:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:17:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, head out west. Those parks have a lot more prairies in em.

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#8]
While it doesn't tell you where clear horizons are, this will help you narrow down the best areas of the state to look for good observation points.

http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/

Years ago I used to go duck hunting in Roseau. There are miles and miles of grass prairies up there with good horizon views and very dark skies. Bonus is that you can see the Aurora pretty regularly that far up.  I doubt you want to make that drive though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top