Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2015 11:08:37 PM EDT
This Saturday I'm flying to pick up my sister and truck that my brother in law sold me. I don't want to drive halfway across country without any protection. From my understanding from the TSA website I need a hard case (I'm buying a Pelican or Plano case), firearm must be unloaded and locked. Also to declare it at the ticket check in.

If anyone who has traveled or know more if they can answer some questions.

1. Can two guns be stored in the same case?
2. Can ammo be stored in the magazines or does it have to be in the boxes inside the case?
3. Is there a limit on ammo?

I tried looking at the MSP website but can't find anything. Is there anything else I should know?

I want to bring; AR15, 3 AR mags, handgun, 3 magazines. Thanks for any help.

ETA: It is US Airways.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:49:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The carrier's web site should have their specific policies regarding traveling with firearms. Most will not allow ammo in magazines and prefer it in the original package.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:24:14 AM EDT
[#2]
1.  Yes, two guns can be stored in the same case.
2.  Ammo cannot be in magazines -- needs to typically be in a box "designed to keep the rounds separate from each other."  Some carriers require ammunition to be in factory boxes.
3.  Typically, yes.  Sometimes it's by weight, sometimes by round count.  Varies by airline.

DO NOT use TSA locks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:56:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:39:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks to everyone I think I got this down now. I just bought a Plano All Weather Tactical case that I hope will work for me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I recently traveled with a firearm and it was pretty easy.
I declared the handgun during check in. They asked if it was unloaded and how the ammo was stored. It was locked in a hard case with a tumbler combo lock built in. TSA swabbed the outside of the case (I'm guessing for trace amounts of explosives) and that was about it. TSA did not inspect the inside or check that it was unloaded. I did have to sign a small slip saying the gun was unloaded and that was placed on the outside of the case. My ammo was in a box in the case and I had the gun locked open with a magazine in it. I figure if they x-ray'd the case it would be easier to show that it was unloaded. Overall it was VERY easy and only added 5-10 minutes to my check in. Nobody batted an eye when I declared the gun.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 2:51:58 PM EDT
[#7]
When I've flown with firearms MSP has been the easiest place of all of them. MSP just asks if it's unloaded, then you fill out the card and good to go. Anchorage gives the most thorough inspection, I've had all kinds of gear repacked flying back from there. Nobody has ever looked in my pelican case to inspect the firearm.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Well it looks like I am a day late and a dollar short.  All the good intel has already been covered.  

Do you have a carry permit of MN, FL or UT?  Know what states will honor the permit while driving back.  IL, IN and SC (my destination point) did not honor my permit and I had to abide by the FOPA rules to be legal.  

Double check your route so that you remain LE friendly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top